• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

Is it resistant to dirt yet? I mean does dust and dirt stick to it in the soft paint? I always feared it peeling once it gets an edge started. never done one. just curious. I have used a lot of lusterless alkyd enamel oil based paint with great results. Cleans up with mineral spirits and flows out really nice. Not as flat as CARC but looks great. Good Luck. get the other colors on while you have soft paint so they melt together and make nice edges. Finish with black it looks best IMHO.

ywgspotter

Is it resistant to dirt yet? I mean does dust and dirt stick to it in the soft paint? I always feared it peeling once it gets an edge started. never done one. just curious. I have used a lot of lusterless alkyd enamel oil based paint with great results. Cleans up with mineral spirits and flows out really nice. Not as flat as CARC but looks great. Good Luck. get the other colors on while you have soft paint so they melt together and make nice edges. Finish with black it looks best IMHO.
Seemed like nothing was getting stuck to it but the real enemy is water from what I've read. Since it's so soft it'll scratch easily too so I'm curious on how itll be in a couple of weeks. I've put the brown on the sides so next is the roof and then I'll do the black.

Volvo740turbo

Changed the rear brake shoes and master cylinder today, no more pumping the brakes to stop.....i can actually take back half the parts I bought and recouped some monies, still have to finish the fluid flush....ill probably buy a crappy.mighty vac pump instead of the previous one I wanted to get

cucvrus

I hope you changed the rear wheel cylinders while you were in there. Very easy to do and that would have been the time to do it. You would not believe what the rear wheel cylinders look like when they are old. Very contaminated and black and gooey. Just an idea. Less the $25. buys piece of mind. Good Luck. The Mighty Vac works as well as a friend pumping the brakes.

Volvo740turbo

I hope you changed the rear wheel cylinders while you were in there. Very easy to do and that would have been the time to do it. You would not believe what the rear wheel cylinders look like when they are old. Very contaminated and black and gooey. Just an idea. Less the $25. buys piece of mind. Good Luck. The Mighty Vac works as well as a friend pumping the brakes.
Attempted one of them but the bald head round It Off I will figure that out at another time for now it stops

Drock

Joined the broken throttle cable club today. Had to have AAA flat bed the M1028, 20 miles home. I ordered one from Napa they'll have it tomorrow morning so we'll see if this one fits:shrugs:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joined the broken throttle cable club today. Had to have AAA flat bed the M1028, 20 miles home. I ordered one from Napa they'll have it tomorrow morning so we'll see if this one fits:shrugs:
I carry a rare spare GM throttle cable just for that very reason.

Volvo740turbo

Since you're replacing the wheel cylinder anyway, grind or chisel the bolt head off.
I was actually thinking about doing that..
I do.have a stripped bolt socket set somehwere...if I can't find it that will be the next option....the hard line is rusted on the one cylinder but it operates normally so I'll only change the one side so I don't have to build a new brake line trying to replace the working one

Volvo740turbo

I was actually thinking about doing that..
I do.have a stripped bolt socket set somehwere...if I can't find it that will be the next option....the hard line is rusted on the one cylinder but it operates normally so I'll only change the one side so I don't have to build a new brake line trying to replace the working one
Rust is stupid

cucvrus

I'll end up locating a stripped bolt socket set and replacing it tomorrow...and a bleeder pump...i scored a gallon of brale fluid so there isnt a good reason to leave any of the old crud in it anymore
Not to tell you what to do. But making a new brake line is a half hour job. It will take you longer figuring out how to get the wheel off and stripped bolt then it will to do the job right the first time. Do as you wish but you have a gallon of brake fluid and 2 new rear wheel cylinders. It may take an hour longer but if you spend that hour now changing both wheel cylinders it will save you 2 hours later. You will not need to bleed the system again and you have a new brake system. Just a bit of advise. No harm if you don't take it. Just helping out. Wise time spent save a brake line blow out on the highway when you hit the brakes in a panic stop. If the line is that rusty it needs changed. The standard brake line lasted 30 years. Stainless is great. Not needed but non the less change the rusty one now and have piece of mind and be safe. OK I will shut up now. Good Luck. Time is money. Spent well it gets great payback.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Removed radiator and took to shop.
Engine and trans cooler line fittings were a breeze to remove.
No O-rings were not installed and they weren't leaking.
Not sure if they require them.

He said it was not the original but a very good aftermarket that's no longer made. Can't remember what brand though.
Large 3 core. Copper/brass
Said the larger tube 3 core, spaced farther apart, cools better than a tight spaced 4 core with smaller tubes.
He also said the solder will corrode even when empty and sitting for long periods. I told him the truck sat for 6-8 years at least before I bought it.

He Spotted the problem right away. Side tank seam leaking.
Said radiator had been really hot at some in its life(not by me), but overall was in fairly good condition.
Hopefully he can save it. Had some other corrosion spots not leaking yet.

It will take him some time to get to it, but this guy is good. Have used him before.
30+ years in business. Fingers crossed.

No pics since we were busy talking.

cucvrus

Rust may be stupid, but rust never sleeps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I caught mine sleeping once. I had my rust free truck parked in the barn for 10 years. I moved it outside washed it dried it and woke up the rust. I have not been able to put it back to sleep ever since. I sold the truck and it came back 4 years later and the rust had formed an army and was eating the CUCV M1028 alive. It is sitting in my field again for other work. I am sad every time I look at it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks