• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

NovacaineFix

Took some video while driving through the mountain trails in Big Bear (SoCal) during our SoCal Rally.
I posted the video on our thread there but wanted to share it with others who may not view that thread.

Used my CUCV (Sgt. "D"), M1009 as the film truck, strapping Go-Pro's to the front, rear ad even one to the AS3900 antenna (that didn't work as well as I thought it would). And also one clip where I strapped a camera to Prospector GM's Duece.

Anyway, wanted to share with you guys.

https://youtu.be/Wht7E-G1d0M

NovacaineFix

That looks like some "tire-popping" rock on those trails out there, lots of sharp points.

Did anybody lose a tire out there?!

Great vid BTW!
Thankfully, no tires were harmed, but yes some of those rocks had some very sharp edges.
The last clip at the end and the clip of the the Jeep transversing down the rocks, most of those were fairly dull but there was large pockets in between the rocks , the depth doesn't show well on camera.
If you look at True Knights truck, the M1028 coming down the same rocks, you can see how much articulation is happening when going over them.
Not super extreme terrain, but noting you want to fly over.

Thanks man. I wanted to grab video since I dont like bringing my canera gear to these events due to the dusty conditions but mainly due to the heavy bouncing around.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Radiator shop called today and said the original radiator is shot.
Something was cracked and split and would cost almost as much as a new one to fix.

Ordered today a brand new brass/copper exact replacement for $700.
Should arrive soon. They build to order.

Keeping the old radiator. For scrap value I guess.

I'm past ready to drive it again!!

cucvrus

WOW $700. buys 2 New warranted for life radiators and all new hoses. Be that as it may. I skidded about 12 logs out of a field that were left behind by a logger and a friend said he wanted out of his pasture. I used the ever so faithful 1987 M1028 that just sits here as my work horse for the past 3 years. Funny I see someone pays bigger money for non running CUCV trucks at auctions then I want for this running driving unit. Must be in the water. Never figured it out. I see it at auctions all the time. People buy things for more then new stuff cost. Have a great day. Keep the currency exchanging and be safe.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted the brass/copper and as close to original style as possible.
Already knew the cost was double that of the plastic/aluminum, but you get what you pay for.

The truck is a workhorse and it will never be sold.
I buy the best parts I can afford and that keeps me off the side of the road.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny I see someone pays bigger money for non running CUCV trucks at auctions then I want for this running driving unit. Must be in the water. Never figured it out. I see it at auctions all the time. People buy things for more then new stuff cost.
No, it's not the water. I think many people feel that auction bought stuff is a deal...at any price.

cucvrus

I just bought a not running 1988 Chevrolet with a Western plow for more then that. I want to get it running but may just sell it as is. The plow was the buying point to me. The truck meant nothing. It was a fancy pants truck back in the day. I thought 1995 Chevrolet was CUCV II or III. Or a revamp/clone. What ever they call them.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
gottaluvit, Have you ever tried to align your self? Very easy, surely you have a string or measuring device. Usually by just counting the turns off you can replace in return.

Anyway I am sure it will steer better.

cucvrus

I have one. It has a crack in it. I removed it from a 1988 Chevrolet K3500. I ran it aground in a snow storm a few years back. Low mileage truck. I since scrapped/sold the truck after it caught fire plowing. It was fully operational but leaked.

computer54

And I only need is the plunger and spring that got to the shift rod , because I no't have one in my case because the Army took it out. And if so PM me and I well call you back or email you .:D:D

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks