• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Bighorn

Today i broke my seat, i hear camaro and firebird seats are a direct fit, can anyone confirm this? A blazer replacement is not really an option at the yards in my area
I have a pair of original m1009 seats in very good condition.
If you decide to go this route, let me know.
You pay shipping and I'll give them to you.

View attachment 699382

View attachment 699384View attachment 699385View attachment 699386View attachment 699387
View attachment 699388View attachment 699389

I can have them to ups by Thursday of next week, my next day off.
Shipping from the UPS store in Powell Wyoming.
Was gonna try and sell them for 100 bucks but y'all have been very kind here.
If you want them, let me know.

Last edited:

Volvo740turbo

Bighorn

Dang ups closed 9 minutes ago
I live and work at 9,000 in the national forest.
It takes me an hour and 10 minutes in the summer to even get to Powell.
Winter.. don't even ask.
A 40 minute ride in the snowcat to a snowy parking lot at the end of the plowed road.
From there it can take 2 hours to reach Powell.

Anyhow, the backseat,, no way.
I sleep back there when I travel.
But if you want them, they are yours.
Don't feel obligated.
The previous owner of my rig installed Suburban seats (by the way, he had to modify the brackets) and I don't have the original brackets.
I would have swapped back but since they are installed.. what the heck.

If you want them, pm me an address.
I'll ship them out next Thursday, and you can pay me for shipping after we know the amount.

Last edited:

Volvo740turbo

I live and work at 9,000 in the national forest.
It takes me an hour and 10 minutes in the summer to even get to Powell.
Winter.. don't even ask.
A 40 minute ride in the snowcat to a snowy parking lot at the end of the plowed road.
From there it can take 2 hours to reach Powell.

Anyhow, the backseat,, no way.
I sleep back there when I travel.
But if you want them, they are yours.
Don't feel obligated.
The previous owner of my rig installed Suburban seats (by the way, he had to modify the brackets) and I don't have the original brackets.
I would have swapped back but since they are installed.. what the heck.

If you want them, pm me an address.
I'll ship them out next Thursday, and you can pay me for shipping after we know the amount.
Would they ship to the ups store thats local to me.or does it not work like that?

Bighorn

I think they ship to your home address.
Or a business address of someone you know or can get their approval.

Oh, I see the confusion.
At the lodge here we are on national forest land.
Wyoming High Country Lodge to be exact.
I am the maintenance manager, snow removal tech, mechanic, and lead egg scrambler.
Therefore have no physical address.
We can't get mail or anything here.
I have to use a UPS store, you do not.
I can ship them right to your house.

You know.. our garbage trailer is kinda full.
I can possibly get them to you sooner.
Maybe Monday I can haul the garbage down to Cowley and slip over to Powell and get 'em mailed off.
I don't know what it will cost.
They are light but bulky.
Last thing I had by UPS this big was a Celestron Telescope and it was $150 but much heavier.

Last edited:

gottaluvit

Used the M1008 along with an M1102 to haul 3000 lbs of merch. 1000# per pallet. Took it easy on the trailer and only put one pallet in it, two in the truck. Funny how with all the weight it shifts into high at 25, yet empty and no trailer it winds it up to 35 before hitting high gear.

Volvo740turbo

General Motors must have been feeling generous to extend the warranty that long. :)
When I installed the bearings for some reason I thought it would be a great idea to use a heavy duty marine grease in the bearings...upon removal I found it had pretty much disappeared so this time I bought a half gallon tub of actual wheel.bearing grease that I know will hold up much better....i was just trying to avoid issues with water but it wasn't the best idea by any means deviating from one to the other....i don't recommend marine grease...

computer54

When I installed the bearings for some reason I thought it would be a great idea to use a heavy duty marine grease in the bearings...upon removal I found it had pretty much disappeared so this time I bought a half gallon tub of actual wheel.bearing grease that I know will hold up much better....i was just trying to avoid issues with water but it wasn't the best idea by any means deviating from one to the other....i don't recommend marine grease...
i don't like marine grease to misses up bearing bad ,

cucvrus

I am not sure what the difference would be between Marine grade grease and regular wheel bearing grease. I buy grease of all types. I am currently using Mine grade grease. I buy grease at a local warehouse that sells grease and oil at a discount if the boxes have a oil look to them. Sometimes the grease or oil will leak a small bit and they just set them aside and sell the entire case for $5-$10. Good deal. I had 2 cases of salt water grease and it was blue and I used it over the years. I had several buckets of military grease over the years that was outdated. I still have a sealed can of artillery automotive grease in and OD can from 1970. So I use any grease that is high temp. But I just never heard of Marine grease other then the marine grade salt water grease I bought in the past worked great as grease can work I suppose. Have a Great greasy day. Wash your hands after you touch that stuff.

Kaiser67M715

Marine grade grease isn't really formulated for disc brake wheelbearings, they can get too warm, and this allows the grease to "wash out" actual wheel bearing grease has a higher resistance to heat.

Drum brakes won't get as hot under normal circumstances, so it's fine to use marine grease on practically anything else, like boat trailers. Grease is grease, but some work better in certain situations.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

gottaluvit

Used the M1008 along with an M1102 to haul 3000 lbs of merch. 1000# per pallet. Took it easy on the trailer and only put one pallet in it, two in the truck. Funny how with all the weight it shifts into high at 25, yet empty and no trailer it winds it up to 35 before hitting high gear.
Ok. Nevermind on the early shifts. I think it was hitting 2nd and just smoothly hit 3rd and I wasn't feeling it. When empty it hits 3rd hard.

Forgot pic too.
20170915_122554.jpg

computer54

That what the truck was made for. My truck has OD on the trans. and keeps going in and out but when I pick up my M105 a2 from GP it did not have a problem and I did not know it was back there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks