• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

3 weeks. Now you know how thrilled I am after 3-5 years and they glow and start. Even after sitting wrecked for 10 years I had an M1009 started and running. Good News. Glad it all worked out for you. I am still hibernating in Pennsylvania. Planning for a spring break out. I did happen across 2 new GM doors in boxes 1 right 1 left for a 1977 GMC. They got no attention on Facebook market place and I picked up both for $100. They were in a shop full of old truck parts. 25 miles from home for 20 years. They spent the past 6 months outside. Rescued on Tuesday and nestled away in my barn.

cucvrus

Well according to "Diesel World" it is a forgone conclusion that dual rear wheels will help traction on any truck. That is why all the big trucks run duals now. From sled pulling to off-roading.

View attachment 717252
That must be another one of them Dodge / Ram things that I will never understand. Why have tires outside the body lines slinging all the road dirt up on everything. Oh well it isn't my truck. But when I get behind and beside them in bad weather it is my concern. I smile as the LEO gets them to the side of the road. I was following a jacked up RAM truck yesterday at about 4AM. We came to a light at an intersection and he was facing east in the left turn lane. I seen one car facing west and the RAM was spooling up and when the light changed he floored it and jumped across the smoke filled intersection in front of the opposing car. Turned out to be a PA State Trooper. The trooper lighted him up immediately. I drove by with my M1009 pulling a trailer and laughed. I thought. WHY? Served him right. I went up the road and got coffee and when I came back they were still sitting there all lit up. I seen a few violations. I am sure the jump start at the intersection was a popular subject being discussed amongst equipment violations. LOL. Have a great day. Get you stacks clean and rolling coal. Why do the Ram diesels sound like shop vacuums when they are idling?

RumRunner742

Look for a 1 ton GM dually that doesn't have a pickup bed on it. IE... Box truck, maintenance truck ect. Its not the rule, but so far every 14 bolt dually rear end I've found as been a narrow C&C axle and they are everywhere.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That must be another one of them Dodge / Ram things that I will never understand. Why have tires outside the body lines slinging all the road dirt up on everything. Oh well it isn't my truck. But when I get behind and beside them in bad weather it is my concern. I smile as the LEO gets them to the side of the road. I was following a jacked up RAM truck yesterday at about 4AM. We came to a light at an intersection and he was facing east in the left turn lane. I seen one car facing west and the RAM was spooling up and when the light changed he floored it and jumped across the smoke filled intersection in front of the opposing car. Turned out to be a PA State Trooper. The trooper lighted him up immediately. I drove by with my M1009 pulling a trailer and laughed. I thought. WHY? Served him right. I went up the road and got coffee and when I came back they were still sitting there all lit up. I seen a few violations. I am sure the jump start at the intersection was a popular subject being discussed amongst equipment violations. LOL. Have a great day. Get you stacks clean and rolling coal. Why do the Ram diesels sound like shop vacuums when they are idling?
I laughed out loud on this one!
Such typical behavior for those guys that have the tires like
that.
They don’t understand or care or both that that setup is illegal.
Always has been.

They think it looks cool I guess.
I think it looks incredibly stupid.
They definitely have “size” issues.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I laughed out loud on this one!
Such typical behavior for those guys that have the tires like
that.
They don’t understand or care or both that that setup is illegal.
Always has been.

They think it looks cool I guess.
I think it looks incredibly stupid.
They definitely have “size” issues.
Needs bigger stacks or more stacks or more bigger stacks or something.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I drove the 1008 today to pick up some magnetic drain plugs at parts store and got home and kind of felt a little slack in changing gear selector from drive to reverse. Shut down truck, blocked wheels, put in neutral to check u joints. Now the bad news, seems that there is a little movement in the rear case. 20 degrees movement , pinion gear is tight, no lateral movement of pinion bearing. No grinding, noise, clean, full gear oil, no metal in oil looking on finger.

I guess pulling rear pan is next. But as I believe cucvrus has said before, unless you do it yourself and see for yourself that it is done correctly, then and only then can you have the confidence that goes with repairing anything.

Good thing is that I have another locker, but will take apart anyway to check parts inside, or repair existing case.

Good thing I like to work on equipment for a hobby. Just as an assumption, anybody want to throw
out a guess as to what the problem could be?

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I could not access the video sneekyeye, but did read Chaski's post about the locker. Hopefully has saved me some time, will change fluid, inspect.

Thanks

RobM36A2

Got a call from the shop today.
The problem was most likely the glow plug relay sticking in the ON position. Or when not glowing, sticking in the OFF position.
The resistor bank is fine, installed a new glow plug relay, 1 plug was broken and replaced. Don't know the type, but was specially ordered for the 6.2 litre engine.
They also swapped some glow cards to test the glow time, but they are all the same.
Truck now starts again after one cycle

Also the steering pump decided to break, so have to fix that myself tomorrow morning.
I can do it at his shop, using his tools, to save myself some extra labour costs.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a call from the shop today.
The problem was most likely the glow plug relay sticking in the ON position. Or when not glowing, sticking in the OFF position.
The resistor bank is fine, installed a new glow plug relay, 1 plug was broken and replaced. Don't know the type, but was specially ordered for the 6.2 litre engine.
They also swapped some glow cards to test the glow time, but they are all the same.
Truck now starts again after one cycle

Also the steering pump decided to break, so have to fix that myself tomorrow morning.
I can do it at his shop, using his tools, to save myself some extra labour costs.
There is a flaw in the way they set up the resistor bank. It uses the resistance of the glow plugs in combination with the resistor bank to reduce voltage.

If you lose ONE glow plug, the voltage gets raised to all the other glow plugs, causing them to fail prematurely.. once 2 fail, then 3 fail, then shortly ALL of them, in a cascade failure... It's a design flaw.

Might wanna look into bypassing the resistor and either using 24V GPs or switch the GP lead to 12V.

cucvrus

Yes you could call it play? Or backlash?
I am not sure what the terminology is but it is normal. I had a few NOS rears in GM crates and sold one to a previous neighbor that had a 1963 Chevrolet C20 pick up. The rear was bad in his truck and he wanted one of my new rears. And at the time $400. was a steal. He added all the proper mounts from his stock rear and installed the rear. His truck was stick shift and he complained about the slop/free play from day 1. We opened another crate and and then another and they all had that slop/free play. Not sure what he ever done. last I seen the truck was gone and he had a new truck in his garage. I think the play is pretty normal for a big differential like that.

RobM36A2

There is a flaw in the way they set up the resistor bank. It uses the resistance of the glow plugs in combination with the resistor bank to reduce voltage.

If you lose ONE glow plug, the voltage gets raised to all the other glow plugs, causing them to fail prematurely.. once 2 fail, then 3 fail, then shortly ALL of them, in a cascade failure... It's a design flaw.

Might wanna look into bypassing the resistor and either using 24V GPs or switch the GP lead to 12V.
Ah, now I understand why the resistor bank showed 24V at both ends.
Thank you for the explanation.
The shop did change the resistor bank, as it was cooked by being hot for so long.
On the resistors showed cracks where black goo came out.
At least the truck starts now with one glow cycle.

Also worked all day to change the steering pump.
After changing, filling fluid and starting/steering to purge the air, we found out the replacement wasn't working either.
The shop owner is now going to change the pump again, at no cost.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After changing, filling fluid and starting/steering to purge the air, we found out the replacement wasn't working either.
The shop owner is now going to change the pump again, at no cost.
It only takes the tiniest bit of air to make it feel inoperative...

You need to swing it lock to lock, left to right, multiple times.. Make sure the belt is tight and routed properly.. It took a couple days to work out the dead spots... I noticed it most at low speeds like pulling into a parking space, but I worked out the air bubbles and it worked great after that.. So.. make sure you spent enough time bleeding it, AND you topped it off after doing so....

I think I spent a good 5 minutes or so just going left to right to left... over and over again....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks