• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck went in the shop leaking trans fluid from the pump seal and input dhaft seal.....they said they resealed it took my money and i drove it today and notice its still leaking...im sure i fell victim to a stop leak repair...dropping it back off tomorrow for them to try it again.
When you drop it off, tell them you want the defective seal.

rustystud

This is why you dont go to shops..
No, that is why you check the "Better Business Bureau" for a good shop. There are plenty of half-assed shops out there, but there is also really good shops. You just need to do your "due diligence" in checking them out.
Also I'm still waiting for a picture of your 1989 Volvo with 300,000 miles on it. Need to figure out which transmission it has.
Or where you just saying it was a 1989 to prove your point ?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greased the pintle hitch shaft.
Forgot about it and have been hooked up to M101A2 almost daily.
(Have to get some gravel today with it.)
Last....and only time it was greased was when truck was first acquired.

It was very dry and has a little play in the shaft.
Hopefully no damage was done by going so long without grease. 2 years.
I use my M101A2 trailers a lot.

All other grease points get required attention, but for some reason I forgot about the pintle hitch one.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's common for them to be overlooked. I bent a spot bar trying to loosen one of mine up to disassemble and lube.

Volvo740turbo

No, that is why you check the "Better Business Bureau" for a good shop. There are plenty of half-assed shops out there, but there is also really good shops. You just need to do your "due diligence" in checking them out.
Also I'm still waiting for a picture of your 1989 Volvo with 300,000 miles on it. Need to figure out which transmission it has.
Aw-71 transmission... the non lock up

https://youtu.be/U_lCCPNvcow

Theres other vidoes of it there also if you fish around

rsh4364

This forum shouldn't be about proving points, but about sharing mechanical experiences with our beloved cucv,s

rustystud

This forum shouldn't be about proving points, but about sharing mechanical experiences with our beloved cucv,s
That's what I've said all along, so when you get people who make crazy statements you need to have them back it up with proof. Or else your just spouting off BS which helps no one. True facts is what we need to help and advance our hobby. That is one reason this site has done so well. People here expect the truth and facts not BS and any BS given will be challenged.

Last edited:

rustystud

Aw-71 transmission... the non lock up

https://youtu.be/U_lCCPNvcow

Theres other vidoes of it there also if you fish around
The AW71 is a great transmission. It is made by Aisin Warner and their designation is the "03-71" transmission. It is also used in Toyotas. Like any good transmission if you take care of it, it can last a long time but like I mentioned earlier time is the killer of all rubber products. Granted being immersed in transmission oil helps the seals last longer.
Now about the video. Is that your car ? I just wanted a picture of the vehicle.

Volvo740turbo

The AW71 is a great transmission. It is made by Aisin Warner and their designation is the "03-71" transmission. It is also used in Toyotas. Like any good transmission if you take care of it, it can last a long time but like I mentioned earlier time is the killer of all rubber products. Granted being immersed in transmission oil helps the seals last longer.
Now about the video. Is that your car ? I just wanted a picture of the vehicle.
Yes thats my.car, my phone only lets me.post videos..theres more on the page

rustystud

I see a lot of people did a lot of transmission arguing to their cucv’s this Week......seems incredibly on topic.
The cold brings out the little "gremlins" that cause a lot of trouble in transmissions. A good way to keep your older TH400 operating well is to let the truck fully warm-up before driving. I will start up my truck and go do something else for 15 to 20 minutes. By then it will be warm inside the cab and better yet the engine and transmission will be warmed up ready to tackle any job.

rustystud

Yes winter seems to of brought out all of the gremlins, more so to this thread.

The problems with our CUCV's is they usually are not daily drivers. A vehicle that is driven normally everyday will last 4X the amount of a vehicle that is only driven on weekends or even worse monthly. That is why a car like "Volvo740turbo" has can have over 300,000 miles on it and still runs. A vehicle that is allowed to sit and have all it's fluids drain down allows rust to creep in. Then when it is run the rust acts like sand paper. This can happen in almost any climate not just moist rainy one's like up here. Also since there is no lube initially it wears prematurely. The daily driver will still have a coating of oil on all it's parts. Preventing rust and allowing some initial lubing. When I was still at IHC back in the 1970's they where at that time the worlds largest producer of diesel engines. They had a company video for mechanics that outlined the benefits of daily use. Or in the case of the diesels in the oil fields, never shutting down. Initial start-up always causes wear, but after a period of inactive use this wear is accelerated. Lets face it, our CUCV's are not luxury vehicles by any stretch of the imagination. When it's cold and rainy outside or snowing the last thing you want to do is drive an old vehicle around. So the poor old CUCV sits and waits till spring before it usually is driven around. Granted there are exceptions, but mostly that is the case.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased a Silhouette Cameo 2 plotter/cutter to make my own stencils. It cuts really well.

IMG-20180211-WA0009.jpgIMG-20180211-WA0012.jpg

I could not wait to apply some stenciling, so I took some vinyl sticker foil that came with it to make some stencils and started painting. I cleaned and degreased the surface, but the cold wasn't very good for the paint and the sticker sheeting is a b*tch to get off, but I'm happy with the results for now.

IMG-20180212-WA0006.jpgIMG_20180217_110423.jpg

In the future when I will give the truck a proper paint job I will re-apply the stenciling using proper stencil foil.

And as a bonus I applied some stickers I made.

IMG-20180213-WA0017.jpgstickers.jpg

Edit: Almost forgot, the bridge plate I ordered arrived.

IMG_20180217_110414.jpg

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

The problems with our CUCV's is they usually are not daily drivers. A vehicle that is driven normally everyday will last 4X the amount of a vehicle that is only driven on weekends or even worse monthly.

Yep. Machines and people go to pot when they just sit. "Use it or lose" it applies to most things.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks