• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patracy, A couple weeks ago I drove my M1009 to Medford Oregon, about a 300 mile trip to drive my 1978 crew cab dually back with the M1009 on a trailer and a scissor lift in the back of the truck and various junk stuffed in. Now mind you the truck has a fairly tired 350 in it so it is a lot of truck for that engine but of course I wasn't thinking about how I was abusing it, I was cussing its lack of power going up the grades on I-5 through Oregon, well until I came to a weight station that was closed. Oregon leaves the scales on even when the booth is closed so I pulled in to try and understand the lack of power. Total weight was just under 19,000 pounds, my cussing turned to "good job little truck, you can make it" LOL. Of course i abused it again last weekend recovering a 1993 Chevy crew-cab 4x4 minus the engine but with a complete 6.5 TD engine and trans in the bed of it but had off loaded the scissor lift for this trip cause I maybe dumb but I am not stupid.

Chaski

Providing current part numbers is always welcome.
Long story short there isn’t a part number for the pictured brake hose set - yet...

If you want some similar to them they are dimensionally identical to Offroad Design part #GU30011

BUT instead of the smoke clear jacket over stainless braided hose they are made with Crown’s new “heavy duty” hose.

Off-road Design has Crown manufacture the brake hoses they resell...

I can’t tell you how to get them- but pestering Off-road Design that you want the hoses made with Crown’s heavy duty hose is a start.

rustystud

Patracy, A couple weeks ago I drove my M1009 to Medford Oregon, about a 300 mile trip to drive my 1978 crew cab dually back with the M1009 on a trailer and a scissor lift in the back of the truck and various junk stuffed in. Now mind you the truck has a fairly tired 350 in it so it is a lot of truck for that engine but of course I wasn't thinking about how I was abusing it, I was cussing its lack of power going up the grades on I-5 through Oregon, well until I came to a weight station that was closed. Oregon leaves the scales on even when the booth is closed so I pulled in to try and understand the lack of power. Total weight was just under 19,000 pounds, my cussing turned to "good job little truck, you can make it" LOL. Of course i abused it again last weekend recovering a 1993 Chevy crew-cab 4x4 minus the engine but with a complete 6.5 TD engine and trans in the bed of it but had off loaded the scissor lift for this trip cause I maybe dumb but I am not stupid.
Install the 383Hi-torque in your truck. You'll be amazed at the power and torque this engine has to handle heavy loads like that. I took out my 6.5L diesel, sold it and bought the Hi-Torque engine. Best engine choice I ever made. Of course if I could have afforded a DuraMax with an Allison behind it that would have been my best engine choice !

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I had 400ci engines added simple mods, cams, carbs, intakes, headers, ignition systems, 4 gear K30's, and they do drink the fuel under load. They can and do have some drag. Pulling 6 ton skidder plus trailer I would get 8mpg and hope for 10. But under mid throttle and plenty of torque left. Never had to hold to the floor and get a start uphill. But never have I owned the 383ci with better mileage economy, if there is such a thing. The best benefit of the 383 was it uses the 350 block, runs cooler, and not so paranoid over temperatures.

Detroit and Bowtie

cucvrus

The black rubber ones from stock must be double heavy duty. Many are still in service and pass inspection every year. I changed a few just to change them. Many times the steel lines fail and the rubber ones are still good. Happy Thanksgiving. Be Safe in your travels.

Another Ahab

The black rubber ones from stock must be double heavy duty. Many are still in service and pass inspection every year. I changed a few just to change them. Many times the steel lines fail and the rubber ones are still good. Happy Thanksgiving. Be Safe in your travels.
Yes, Happy Thanksging to all!

Chaski

Braided SS hose with a jacket ALREADY sounds Heavy-Duty:

- What is more heavy-duty about the Crown hose?!

Honestly - I don't know what makes the heavy duty more heavy duty. Below is what Crown says about their standard braded line, they don't have their new heavy duty line shown...

http://www.crownperformance.com/technical/

Rick - If my pickup was stock height I'd be running standard rubber hoses for sure - but with the lift and extended front shock mounts I need some pretty long brake hoses so I'm not using them as banjo strings- as with most things aftermarket there is a give and take.

SDJunkMan

Trying to figure out how to fix the drivers seat in my M1009, it's leaning back and twisted towards the right. I'm guessing this is a pretty common problem. Was thinking about taking it apart and trying to straighten out the back frame. Any suggestions?

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
coachg31, I finally had to replace my box filter a few years ago. I was so tired of having to bled air out of the fuel line I opted for a filter with a priming pump. It was real handy when I did the install but haven't had to use it since.Fuel filter 1.jpg

dougco1

Trying to figure out how to fix the drivers seat in my M1009, it's leaning back and twisted towards the right. I'm guessing this is a pretty common problem. Was thinking about taking it apart and trying to straighten out the back frame. Any suggestions?
I think they must be made that way because mine does the same thing.

Just lay back and drive it around like your the Fonz from Happy Days

SDJunkMan

I think they must be made that way because mine does the same thing.

Just lay back and drive it around like your the Fonz from Happy Days
I hate driving with a seat reclined, never could figure out the guys that drive like that on purpose.

I figure the seat frame slowly got bent over the years from people bouncing around while off road. My other K5 doesn't seem to have the problem. The left side of the drivers seat seems like it is stronger because of the latching mechanism, where the right side looks like it is just a curved tube. I think I'm going to try to remove the back of the seat, pull off the upholstry, and see what is there to work with. Hopefully I can straighten it out without screwing it up any more than it already is.

Thought I might try to find a seat frame that is not bent off a civilian K5 and see if that would interchange, seems like there is a ratty one at the local U Pull It.

n8roro

I took my seats apart this summer to replace the foam and reupholster so I got to see how they are made. I think you are right about the frame bending and you may be able to bend it back. Civilian blazer seats look different, but could be swapped if you don't care about that. I believe the M1009 used a Camero seat.

You could try unbolting the seat back from the side near the center. The latch would hold the other side while you try to bend the frame back. You could take the seat cover off first to get more movement if needed.

Last edited:

rustystud

I hate driving with a seat reclined, never could figure out the guys that drive like that on purpose.

I figure the seat frame slowly got bent over the years from people bouncing around while off road. My other K5 doesn't seem to have the problem. The left side of the drivers seat seems like it is stronger because of the latching mechanism, where the right side looks like it is just a curved tube. I think I'm going to try to remove the back of the seat, pull off the upholstry, and see what is there to work with. Hopefully I can straighten it out without screwing it up any more than it already is.

Thought I might try to find a seat frame that is not bent off a civilian K5 and see if that would interchange, seems like there is a ratty one at the local U Pull It.
Mine did that too. I found the latching mechanism had "slipped" a tooth so they where out of sync with each other. It is just a long wire which pulls the other latch, and mine got bent a little. Probably due to sticking stuff under the seat. After measuring the latch positions and putting them back in the correct positions, my seat has worked great.

cucvrus

Mine did that too. I found the latching mechanism had "slipped" a tooth so they where out of sync with each other. It is just a long wire which pulls the other latch, and mine got bent a little. Probably due to sticking stuff under the seat. After measuring the latch positions and putting them back in the correct positions, my seat has worked great.
Hey Rusty Stud. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

The M1009 seat is completely different than the M1008/M1028 all the truck models. The M1009 has latch 1 point outer side to fold the seat front. The inner pivot point is a shoulder bolt. And yes years of fatigue and abuse have taken the toll on the thin metal frame under the upholstery. Not to mention oversized guys pushing back to seat themselves. I have seen the seat frame work rusted thru on many CUCV variants. Years of wet and leaking windows have taxed the life out of these trucks. Best bet is strip the frame and clean and weld up a reinforcement inside. Have the seat reupholstered or get seats from another vehicle. The bench seat in an M1009 is a nice option. I had a few I done. They flip front to gain access for rear passengers. But Good Luck. Enjoy your day. Cleaning greasing and oiling the seat adjustment mechanisms is always an A + thing to do. A little Real grease and oil go a long way. While your at it enjoy the day with your Family and Friends. Happy Thanksgiving to ALL.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks