• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Loctite premium quality copper anti-seize is recommended for spark plugs in aluminum, exhaust manifold bolts, engine bolts, oxygen sensors, knock sensors, thermostat housing bolts, fuel filter fittings, and battery cable connections.

It should not be used on stainless steel. Nickel based is best for this application.

83k30

Got the truck in the shop for it's yearly maintenance. Lots of things to do. Relocated the batteries from under the hood to inside the cab behind the seat. Got the wiring buttoned up today. Ordered new spindles, this time I'm running bushings instead of needle bearings since the last set didn't survive a year. More pics when parts get here.IMG_20220607_182028685.jpgIMG_20220607_182101261.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Got the truck in the shop for it's yearly maintenance. Lots of things to do. Relocated the batteries from under the hood to inside the cab behind the seat. Got the wiring buttoned up today. Ordered new spindles, this time I'm running bushings instead of needle bearings since the last set didn't survive a year. More pics when parts get here.View attachment 869909View attachment 869910
Charging those lead acid batteries inside the cab of your truck might not be good for your health... Don't know if maybe you could build some sort of cover? Something to separate the crew compartment from the battery compartment?

Open fire in the cab of the truck could "make you go boom" without some sort of venting to the outside. Hydrogen gas is one of the byproducts of charging lead acid batteries. That stuff is wicked when combined with sparks or an open flame.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Those batteries appear to be valve regulated sealed lead acid type. This type uses a recombination catalyst that regenerates water from produced hydrogen and oxygen. This design is used in absorbed glass mat and flooded cells.

It is best to have a good voltmeter in case of regulator failure as very nasty gases can be generated.

This modification may extend the life of the batteries with somewhat lower temperature compared to under the bonnet.

Last edited:

Keith_J

On weekly PMCS, found the left rear clearance marker lamp on the M1031 SECM inop. A few years ago, I bought an entire set of lamp housings, amber and red, so this was just an easy swap..if my left hand worked correctly. So I dropped 3 nuts and lost a washer but with plenty spares, it is fixed. The old housing was half bleached.

The new housings are sealed, an upgrade as corrosion had been the cause. Bulb is still good. Nice having replacement on hand. Last one replaced was right rear.

DarkSeas

Done recently:
Old engine wiring out and sent to HW with old PS pump to trade for vacuum regulator valve I found broken and hopefully a glow plug harness.
Valve covers and air cleaner taken off and painted black.
Injectors and glowplugs out.
Drilled broken starter bolt out, all good.
Took off alternators and sent them to a local shop for inspection/rebuild/cleanup.

Next steps:
Get correct valve cover fasteners (thanks DIVE, cucvrus, ezgn, Keith) and replace valve cover gaskets.
Install new glow plugs and injectors.
Install new (soft) vacuum lines and vacuum regulator valve when I get a replacement in from HW.
Install painted valve covers, new intake gaskets, cleaned intake manifold, and painted air cleaner.
Oil change, filter change, fuel and air filter change.
Install new 24V starter (and bracket :lol:)
Replace belts and bolt up new PS pump.
Get my alternators back and mounted.

Rewire motor with fresh harness - this will probably take me the most time trying to get right, getting everything to work right.

Get motor to fire up (hard part), then move into getting her driving again - need to replace my sacked out front leaf springs and my driveshaft ujoints, front to rear, check out why my transfer case is leaking. Should probably figure out why my DS tail light doesn't light up anymore, too, but that's not important right now.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yesterday I removed a defective wiper motor, connected the new one up before installing it...Dead out of the box!

I'm glad I tested it prior to installing it. So off to Auto Zone today to get replacements on order.
So nice when you figure it out before expending the effort to install a broken (defective) part.

Last edited:

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So nice when you figure it out before expending the effort to install a broken (defective) part.
Yes, after a few times on various projects, I have finally learned to test items out of the box. Seems like there is no QC any more.
Stopped at Autozone, new ones will be here tomorrow. Hopefully they will work out of the box.

Keith_J

The onboard air system in my M1031 SECM started leaking overnight. Pumped it up and sprayed fittings with soapy water. Both input flare fitting and the output Milton coupler were leaking. Replaced the coupler and tightened the flare fittings.
Figured it was a good time to check tire pressures. Then overhauled the leaking coupler, a little corrosion on the plug was easily lapped with a piece of 1/4" copper tube and valve grinding compound. Slathered silicone grease on the plug and put it all back together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks