• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Let’s bring this thread back from slumber.

I brought my new to me 97 1084a0 home this past Wednesday with help from my dad and brother. The truck is in great shape. Got it from a Police Dept in Alabama. Went down with a bed full of tools, and a 100 gal fuel tank. Did get a spare tire, cause the truck didn’t have one, from @tennmogger on the way down, again thank you for meeting up that morning. Didn’t know if I needed the fuel or not so I prepared for the worst, but worked out regardless it was cheaper back home. I checked the truck over for the 275 mile trip. Checked the drive lines for play, checked all fluids, and topped off the hub fluids. Only issues I know of right now is the ctis has the five solid lights on the ecu. The passenger door must have been replaced and it is missing all the inside hardware. It latches and has a window, and that’s about it lol. Lastly the crane is in unknown condition as they said they had never tried to operate it since they got it. Good things are it has new batteries and the tires are newer with except two with older date codes. All having 95% tread. It had two extra bed sides stored inside the storage compartment and the ladder is there as well. All fluids looked great. Was hoping to find a crane remote but no such luck. The truck was in a routine maintenance program they said, and they said when they got it and another 1078 they went up and drove them back from Kentucky. The trip went uneventful and it ran & operated great. The temps on everything stayed cool, checked everything with a ir thermometer. Only got one picture as of now
Really nice looking truck! It really is amazing how the Police Departments seem to be able to get trucks that aren't beat to death. Godspeed131 , the time you spent going over levels and checking drive-line components was definitely time well spent! That was a long trip to make in an unknown truck...

CONGRATULATIONS on your "new to you" truck recovery!

Possibly start with the TM on how to operate the crane? The -10 version is a good starting point. The books you want will show up under FMTV (even though you have an LMTV). You will be looking to find "1083 Series Trucks" (the 6x6 versions).

The crane on the back is a Grove MHC 977 that was spec'd by TACOM. Grove is not terribly helpful if you try to find parts directly from them and there are no handbooks or manuals available from them :-( . The TM's do have decent information about operation though. Start out simple. Make sure you open the hydraulic fill on the tank and look down to the bottom. Oil should be clear enough to see the bottom - especially with a bright light. You want to look for bubbles (that could be water), then be sure there is plenty of fluid.

Up on the dash, there should be a switch in the box near the center of the dash. Should be a tachometer ti the left of the switch. You are looking for what looks like a pair of gears meshed together. Engine at idle and transmission in neutral, then flip the switch. Switch should be lighted when on. That engages the PTO and turns on the hydraulic pump. You should hear what I call "very light gear noise". Still at idle, the safest thing to learn on would be the outriggers (stabilizers) at the back of the truck. Generally pushing down on the control lever should cause the vertical cylinder to start toward the ground. Pushing up on the outrigger lever should cause the cylinder to retract back to the top.

You should have a pair of "feet" that fit onto the "ball" at the bottom of the outrigger cylinder. If not, you won't be properly supported and can easily punch a hole in the asphalt. Gotta have those for sure. They can be bought but hopefully you have what came with your truck...

Once you have gotten comfortable with running the outriggers up and down, maybe the winch (on the crane) would be your next test. GENTLY move the lever for the winch. I think the ball on the lever says "in" and "out" rather than up and down. Just ease the lever to the "out" position just a bit. You don't have to push it all the way up or down... If you hear a popping sound or a creaking sound, you might be going the wrong way - or the ball isn't labeled correctly. You just want to get the Hook Assembly to move toward the ground to disconnect it from its storage position.

Once you get the crane winch hook assembly free, it is time to see if the boom will stand up. If not, there are other things to make it work. You will need to stand the mast up before you can rotate the crane. Please be careful! Rotating the crane with the mast not fully UP will smash parts of your truck! For whatever it's worth, I have noticed that rotation is surprisingly FAST. One more time... Be Careful!

ANYHOW, enough for now. If you made it that far, you should be good. If I can help with crane operations, let me know or the other several dozen folks here who have one to play with.

Oh, and if you really want a remote for your crane (like I do) then I believe Hellen Wate is our contact for procurement. If you want a remote, you just generally have to go to hell and wait :-( (sorry, I couldn't resist).

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let’s bring this thread back from slumber.

I brought my new to me 97 1084a0 home this past Wednesday with help from my dad and brother. The truck is in great shape. Got it from a Police Dept in Alabama. Went down with a bed full of tools, and a 100 gal fuel tank. Did get a spare tire, cause the truck didn’t have one, from @tennmogger on the way down, again thank you for meeting up that morning. Didn’t know if I needed the fuel or not so I prepared for the worst, but worked out regardless it was cheaper back home. I checked the truck over for the 275 mile trip. Checked the drive lines for play, checked all fluids, and topped off the hub fluids. Only issues I know of right now is the ctis has the five solid lights on the ecu. The passenger door must have been replaced and it is missing all the inside hardware. It latches and has a window, and that’s about it lol. Lastly the crane is in unknown condition as they said they had never tried to operate it since they got it. Good things are it has new batteries and the tires are newer with except two with older date codes. All having 95% tread. It had two extra bed sides stored inside the storage compartment and the ladder is there as well. All fluids looked great. Was hoping to find a crane remote but no such luck. The truck was in a routine maintenance program they said, and they said when they got it and another 1078 they went up and drove them back from Kentucky. The trip went uneventful and it ran & operated great. The temps on everything stayed cool, checked everything with a ir thermometer. Only got one picture as of now
If you find a remote I make/sell the cables.
Congrats on the truck-I love mine

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks great. nice score!

Are you going to work it; what's your plan?
Thanks everyone for the words and likes. My plans for it is to help on farm. No definite intended use but I figure it’ll prove it’s use as time goes by IE hauling hay, picking up smaller logs, setting poles for buildings, lifting equipment and parts. I was finally able to get familiar with the crane Monday and Tuesday. Most functions were operable but I had trouble with the telescoping out, winch up, and the boom would not go up or down. With suprmans help we figured out the lockout solenoids were the issues once all four were unplugged everything came online. Now just have a few hoses to replace. Also sanded the front down and truck was last with the 101st 3-330 field artillery, also under the diamond warning signs were insignias from a different unit.

Attachments

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Operation Cattle Run was a success this past week thanks to M715Mike, Reallybigboat, and 3 other local MV owners who opted in for the convoy. It was both a teaching experience and mini-rally for everyone to meet new faces.

I acquired 5 LMTVs (4 were runners after some basic PMCS) from auction and brought the M1089A1 to do its God intended purpose of hauling the in-op one back. One truck had a bent rear shaft that I was uncomfortable with and tried to swap shafts from the in-op truck but a cup was stuck. We used a tiger tool, sledge, and a liberal amount of elbow grease but to no avail. We could have driven the truck on the front shaft alone but the risk evaluation didn't support that measure and I opted to return to get it the next day along with another SS member's truck

The convoy was nice and smooth except for M715Mike who found a bad spot in his right front tire (rode rough and lost air). We kept the convoy at 25-35 mph with a civilian truck in the rear for safety and hauled the tools. The M1089A1 had minor issues on the stinger control manifold, typical sticky from disuse, which I'll have to tackle later. Otherwise it pulled a M1078A1 like a champ! The drive was only 16 miles but we all know that Murphy can strike at any time and fortunately all he did was the stuck cup that day.

All in all 4 of the 5 trucks were super clean A1's and 2 of which had no issues which is unheard of to me. One truck has a winch, additional IR lights, and other little mods so it has been places and seen things. The non-runner runt of the litter was a sad looking A0. After swapping all the blown out tires, adding batteries, replacing all the relays/fuses, and minor trouble shooting it too came alive. It's so hard to find a good parts truck these days. Gah! :rolleyes:

Planning and executing events like this are what makes me excited to be in the hobby. I know most everyone on this forum will agree with me that owning and operating your own convoy is a thrill. Thanks again to everyone that volunteered and M715Mike for making the long drive too.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is a nice looking collection! Bet that was a fun run too. Convoy!!

I can't for the life of me understand how these M1089's get their front bumpers "folded up".
The problem doesn't follow only green or just tan trucks...

My best guess is that maybe in tight spot, something gets pushed rather than pulled?
Maybe whatever gets shoved until the heat dies down, then it gets towed normally?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a nice looking collection! Bet that was a fun run too. Convoy!!

I can't for the life of me understand how these M1089's get their front bumpers "folded up".
The problem doesn't follow only green or just tan trucks...

My best guess is that maybe in tight spot, something gets pushed rather than pulled?
Maybe whatever gets shoved until the heat dies down, then it gets towed normally?
I believe my truck was lifted by the front shackles at some point and twisted the bumper angle. Common issue I agree.

Third From Texas

I was doing a recovery and they swung a forklift around to the front and they guy was spreading the forks out to lift the front by the bump and I stopped them. Caged the breaks and rolled it out with my truck and a strap.

Forklifts are the spawn of the devil !

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was doing a recovery and they swung a forklift around to the front and they guy was spreading the forks out to lift the front by the bump and I stopped them. Caged the breaks and rolled it out with my truck and a strap.

Forklifts are the spawn of the devil !
I believe they aren't paying for it, so they aren't as motivated as we are.

Those guys see hundreds of vehicles with assorted "beat marks" on them.
What is one more dent to them...

Not the best way to run a railroad, but the alternative is having no help at all.
You were quick enough to stop the lift truck driver, and he was willing to listen.
Wish it could be better.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I treated myself for once and installed new MRAP seats in my M1078A1R. These are the ones in the classifieds and fit well. I removed the spacer C channel which dropped the height about 2.5". Tapped 4 holes and mounted the driver seat. The passenger was a little more of a challenge as I had to reverse the sliding rails move the hand controls to the other side. I cut a tab on the base and was able to rotate the height lever mechanism to fit too. Overall they look nice, feel nice, and may be installed on my M1089A1 as well. I'm tempted..

treat-yo-self-gif-3.gif

2021-05-29 19.27.23.jpg 2021-05-29 19.27.33.jpg

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got around and found some time between baling hay to replace some hydraulic hoses on the m1084 for the crane. Got around 7 changed out to stop the leaks for now. Still have a few of the original ones left that will need changing out soon, but finally I can operate it without taking a hydraulic shower lol.

Attachments

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s the last bit of acreage from the first cutting. Would have finished a few weeks ago, but blew out the lift cylinder on the disk mower. Between having to wait on a rebuild kit and the wet weather, it got pushed back. The last couple of days of dry weather allowed us to finish it off.

Another Ahab

It’s the last bit of acreage from the first cutting. Would have finished a few weeks ago, but blew out the lift cylinder on the disk mower. Between having to wait on a rebuild kit and the wet weather, it got pushed back. The last couple of days of dry weather allowed us to finish it off.
Knoxville:

- You get 4 cuttings in a year, or 5, maybe?

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most everyone around here mostly focuses on two to three cuttings on regular fescue and such, unless they dabble in alfalfa and such which they attempt more cuttings. We only deal with fescue and orchard grass mix so two is usually the norm. Plus with the unknown weather conditions we don’t push the crops to hard, in case of drought or the opposite. We’d rather have the quality than push for quantity.

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ha i had ordered the exact same thing from him not 2 weeks ago for my truck. Ordered them on a late Friday afternoon and they showed up that following Monday, seriously fast shipping lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks