• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Wire Fox

View attachment 704716Did a little painting... i dont like it so im going to paint over it
You meticulously painted a digital pattern and decided that you hate it and will cover it? I don't know whether I should shake my head for you working too much, or give you a pat on the back for sticking to your vision and remaining dedicated, no matter what that takes.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

twisted60

You meticulously painted a digital pattern and decided that you hate it and will cover it? I don't know whether I should shake my head for you working too much, or give you a pat on the back for sticking to your vision and remaining dedicated, no matter what that takes.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
I give 2 thumbs up, how many times have we all started a project and changed it mid stream or after we finished it and it was not what we had envisioned scrapped it and started over. Jackson stick to your guns, if you don't like it change it.

NormB

View attachment 704716Did a little painting... i dont like it so im going to paint over it

Almost digital multicam. I like it. Would like it better if it were greener (less sand).

Kudos to your efforts. After all those years of painting the bedroom, the kitchen, dining room, basement, etc., based on just one little playing card size color sample and hating the color after many hours of prep/paint, I get it.

suzukovich

Everyone likes it that has seen it....but i dont. If it was someone elses truck i think id like it more
A Humvee in multicam that would be interesting. But I too understand, you spend the time painting then when done, it didn't turn out how you expected. At least it will be easy to paint over.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

erasedhammer

Just finished up my GEP turbo swap. Had to do a lot of insulation on the doghouse to get it as quiet as my old 6.2. Loving the extra power though!

Screenshot_20171021-162941.jpgScreenshot_20171021-162922.jpgScreenshot_20171021-162948.jpgScreenshot_20171021-162933.jpg

jackson76550

Just finished up my GEP turbo swap. Had to do a lot of insulation on the doghouse to get it as quiet as my old 6.2. Loving the extra power though!
my turbo engine is quieter than my 6.5 trucks. My turbo Doghouse has insulation, maybe a bit less than the non turbo doghouse. But no noise coming from that area. All my trucks have a unique sound though With the 6.2 being quieter.

the extra power is nice, but mine still has the 3 speed

jackson76550

IMG_8544.jpgIMG_8548.jpgIMG_8551.jpgNo more crazy camo pattern. One of the few turbo 2 man trucks out there id bet.... well if i go back with the two man configuration. The rapco paint by the gallon seems to be good stuff!

erasedhammer

my turbo engine is quieter than my 6.5 trucks. My turbo Doghouse has insulation, maybe a bit less than the non turbo doghouse. But no noise coming from that area. All my trucks have a unique sound though With the 6.2 being quieter.

the extra power is nice, but mine still has the 3 speed
I swear my turbo engine at 2200 rpm sounded like my 6.2w/ 3 spd at 3000 rpm. Thats why the next thing on my list is 2.56 gears. Im at 2.73 and definitely won't miss the torque once I put in the new ones.

I got a new doghouse and coated the inside with sound deadening spray, ordered new reflective insulation, then covered the outside of that with 1/4" of xtreme dynamat sheets. Its quieter now but I have a long way to go.
Covered much of the a pillar area in the dynaliner, muffled the engine a lot, but not as much as I would have liked. It drastically reduced the heat inside though, I actually have to use my heater!

erasedhammer

Nice work!!! I live North of you and would like to do the same on one of mine next winter after gathering the goodies. Do you have rough cost of parts so far?
Do you already have a 4l80? Total cost for my 4l80 alone was $2500 including parts and labor.

For the engine and all that fun stuff, I haven't kept track. I'm thinking it was a little more expensive since a lot of the accessories on my gep engine were damaged when it was removed from the last truck, had to replace the fan clutch, dipsticks, power steering reservoir, and I probably have to replace my ps pump, its a loud sucker (whining).
$400 for the doghouse
$2500 for the engine, paid extra to have it tested.
$80 for new oil pan (original was dented to ****)
$80 for air horn intake
$40 for a belt
$230 for new crossover exhaust pipe
$180 for new remote power steering reservoir
$100 for new serpentine 200 amp alternator pulley
$100 for the stupid special nut and adapter for that pulley...

$3710. No labor since I did the job by myself, I worked 11-8 every day for 3 weeks, but a lot of time was spent waiting for parts.
Despite the broken parts on the engine, it arrived pretty complete. Even came with half a front driveshaft from an uparmored humvee.

orgnal

Do you already have a 4l80? Total cost for my 4l80 alone was $2500 including parts and labor.

For the engine and all that fun stuff, I haven't kept track. I'm thinking it was a little more expensive since a lot of the accessories on my gep engine were damaged when it was removed from the last truck, had to replace the fan clutch, dipsticks, power steering reservoir, and I probably have to replace my ps pump, its a loud sucker (whining).
$400 for the doghouse
$2500 for the engine, paid extra to have it tested.
$80 for new oil pan (original was dented to ****)
$80 for air horn intake
$40 for a belt
$230 for new crossover exhaust pipe
$180 for new remote power steering reservoir
$100 for new serpentine 200 amp alternator pulley
$100 for the stupid special nut and adapter for that pulley...

$3710. No labor since I did the job by myself, I worked 11-8 every day for 3 weeks, but a lot of time was spent waiting for parts.
Despite the broken parts on the engine, it arrived pretty complete. Even came with half a front driveshaft from an uparmored humvee.
I would get a 4l80 put in my HMMWV if there is anyone in Denver area who can do it for $2500 parts and labor!

McReddy

erasedhammer

I would get a 4l80 put in my HMMWV if there is anyone in Denver area who can do it for $2500 parts and labor!

McReddy
I was all over eBay for about 6 months finding the best deals for all the parts.
Then I shopped around a lot for a cheap but quality local transmission shop.
They had flat rates for a lot of basic jobs, made it a lot cheaper than hourly rates.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks