• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

twisted60

Over the last few days, I installed a keyed ignition switch, rear view mirror, mounted Former Military Plate with light, pulled pax rear tire to check for a leaking seal on hub but it was just dirty not wet, found and bought new fan belts locally, next project change fan belts and hoses, flush radiator and install fresh anti freeze. Today went to a car event with local Military Museum, took my Humvee and my 5 ton, show was to raise money for a Scholarship at the school for a needy child of a military family. Big turn out.
IMG_1924.jpgIMG_1937.jpgIMG_1949.jpgIMG_1959.jpg

shawnshumvee

Also installed my custom interior lights. The lights are adjustable and will ultimately be ran with a door switch, so open the door on the humvee the lights come on.

IMG_6270.jpgIMG_6273.jpgIMG_6260.jpgIMG_6256.jpgIMG_6269.jpgIMG_6272.jpgIMG_6264.jpgIMG_6252.jpgIMG_6251.jpg

Allso made good use of the circles in the bumper.

IMG_6097.jpgIMG_6104.jpgIMG_6085.jpgIMG_6100.jpgIMG_6086.jpgIMG_6098.jpgIMG_6087.jpg

Last edited:

shawnshumvee

I tried that on my last truck. It rattled so bad it had to GO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOT

Heres what i did to mount the grenade to the shifter. The grenade was drilled with a hole in the bottom. Next I removed the OEM shifter knob and placed a rubber hose over the shifter that was slightly larger than the hole in the grenade. Then I filled the empty cavity of the grenade will that spray foam and quickly assemble the two together. After an hour or so the grenade was on really well and it doesn't move one bit. The foam filled the empty area inside the grenade and bonded will the hose that held the grenade in the right position.

shawnshumvee

I wouldn't put too much weight in that ammo can. I have seen those thin aluminum pad retainers bend and snap easily.
I like those bumper lights.
are your referring to the center ammo can? If so its just a extra glove compartment just storing small stuff and the ammo can also converts to rear cup holders.

IMG_6314.jpgIMG_6313.jpgIMG_6310.jpgIMG_6311.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Action

are your referring to the center ammo can? If so its just a extra glove compartment just storing small stuff and the ammo can also converts to rear cup holders.

View attachment 715406View attachment 715410View attachment 715407View attachment 715408
Yes, I see that the straps holding it down are attached to the aluminum tubes that hold the green pads on the tunnel. It already looks like the one behind the driver seat is bending up from the tight strap.
Or, does the end of that strap have a screw through the tunnel?

shawnshumvee

Yes, I see that the straps holding it down are attached to the aluminum tubes that hold the green pads on the tunnel. It already looks like the one behind the driver seat is bending up from the tight strap.
Or, does the end of that strap have a screw through the tunnel?
no, they are bolted into the humvee. It looks tight because the other end of the humvee padding is up (missing the little screw) once I bolt the pad back down it looks normal. Optical illusion.

dilvoy

It's good that you have the under side of the lid that is able to work as a tray to catch any spilled drinks, because Humvees are bouncy. Might be good to seal up where the support struts pass through the lid and have a bungie to hold it down while deployed.

Wire Fox

Hey, remember when we posted about that excellent tool set deal last year and everyone bought them to out of stock nearly overnight? I've got a deal to share with y'all today.

A fellow on everyone's favorite forbidden auction side is listing an engine overhaul kit, NSN 2815-01-540-5593 for $36.91 + shipping, and he does have a shipping discount for multi-quantity purchases. That's a pretty fair price for a complete gasket set, but that NSN isn't just gaskets...it's also 8 fresh glow plugs. I challenge anyone to find a lower price for 8 glow plugs. For half the money of a glow plugs set, you've got your plugs and gaskets. I would have bought 10 if I could afford it, but I can't, so I bought 2 for $95 delivered. Now go, buy away!

twisted60

Thanks Fox,
I just ordered 1 for stock.

Hey, remember when we posted about that excellent tool set deal last year and everyone bought them to out of stock nearly overnight? I've got a deal to share with y'all today.

A fellow on everyone's favorite forbidden auction side is listing an engine overhaul kit, NSN 2815-01-540-5593 for $36.91 + shipping, and he does have a shipping discount for multi-quantity purchases. That's a pretty fair price for a complete gasket set, but that NSN isn't just gaskets...it's also 8 fresh glow plugs. I challenge anyone to find a lower price for 8 glow plugs. For half the money of a glow plugs set, you've got your plugs and gaskets. I would have bought 10 if I could afford it, but I can't, so I bought 2 for $95 delivered. Now go, buy away!

desmodromic

Thanks for the tip, Fox! I ordered a couple for the derelect fleet I seem to have amassed.

Can anyone confirm if the 6.2 and 6.5 share the same manifold gaskets? I have a 6.2 that is a bit too exhausty in the cabin for my tastes (and health).

Wire Fox

Thanks for the tip, Fox! I ordered a couple for the derelect fleet I seem to have amassed.

Can anyone confirm if the 6.2 and 6.5 share the same manifold gaskets? I have a 6.2 that is a bit too exhausty in the cabin for my tastes (and health).
They certainly do. The only changes start showing up when you start switching from NA to TD.

Mario

I need glowplugs for my M998 6.5 GEP.
Is there anything available at local AutoZone? If not, what's a good source (outside of that gasket set that I might just get anyway)?

Wire Fox

I need glowplugs for my M998 6.5 GEP.
Is there anything available at local AutoZone? If not, what's a good source (outside of that gasket set that I might just get anyway)?
I believe AutoZone will only carry 12V models. Napa may be able to rush order the right glow plug in 24V, but I'm not sure. Still, the best price I've seen to-date on glow plugs has been at Erik's: http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/glplforhm12a.html The price is very similar at most places, with generally being who has the best shipping price being the determining factor. If you want to shop around, you can use the part numbers listed on Erik's. I think they covered all of the numbers for that part.

As you can see, this kit comes in at nearly half that price. With shipping, it's pretty close to break-even (still a better price with the overhaul kit), but I really feel the gaskets makes it very worthwhile.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks