• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took my side turn signals off and touched up the paint and wet sanded and polished the lens. Lens is good quality and came back to life. I ordered some stuff. Trying to get the military batteries and I had to fill out end user agreement and provide a PO and set up a business account all while computer and printer are down. Before and after picsA6FBDA53-B855-48CA-B8B6-2B8B56676618.jpeg3E333B80-CF9A-46B5-9893-4292BA9B9D47.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I took my side turn signals off and touched up the paint and wet sanded and polished the lens. Lens is good quality and came back to life. I ordered some stuff. Trying to get the military batteries and I had to fill out end user agreement and provide a PO and set up a business account all while computer and printer are down. Before and after picsView attachment 843542View attachment 843543
That cleaned up lense looks really good!
Not sure about the freshly painted lense armor - but maybe after a little sun bleaching it will help match it to the truck.

Best part about what you did is that it made YOU happy, so there! :cool:

Still, polishing the lense is outstanding!
That is something I will be doing for sure.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure about the freshly painted lense armor - but maybe after a little sun bleaching it will help match it to the truck.

The lens armor will match the truck… lol more to come
It was a test…

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter

When I did my h2 lights they were really bad and cleared over which is the worst thing you can do. They were expensive to replace and hard to find. I started with 1000, 2000, and 3,000 then polished with that harbor freight headlight kit and they looked brand new. I’m really starting to enjoy restoring stuff rather than replacing it. I have more time than money. Hahaha I don’t have any money after this Humvee addiction

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
When I did my h2 lights they were really bad and cleared over which is the worst thing you can do. They were expensive to replace and hard to find. I started with 1000, 2000, and 3,000 then polished with that harbor freight headlight kit and they looked brand new. I’m really starting to enjoy restoring stuff rather than replacing it. I have more time than money. Hahaha I don’t have any money after this Humvee addiction
I understand!

I had two bad marker lights on my 1984 model M936. Ordered up new lights and when I went to put them on, I was pretty unhappy. Wouldn't think so, but those pretty bright new lenses and armor just stuck out like a sore thumb. Ended up pirating the wiring out of the new light and finding an old light for a new lense. Odd I guess. Could have replaced all of them (at an unreasonable price) but the truck looked better with 36/37 year old lights.

Go figure. THANKS for the top on lense polishing.
Need to stop by the store for some of that sand paper

Yep, these green beasts are an addiction for sure!

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took my side turn signals off and touched up the paint and wet sanded and polished the lens. Lens is good quality and came back to life. I ordered some stuff. Trying to get the military batteries and I had to fill out end user agreement and provide a PO and set up a business account all while computer and printer are down. Before and after picsView attachment 843542View attachment 843543
What did you end up using for the gasket material on back of fixture? My gasket material is crappy and want to cut new ones but lacking info on material.. Just wondering if you did anything with that? Thanks

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did you end up using for the gasket material on back of fixture? My gasket material is crappy and want to cut new ones but lacking info on material.. Just wondering if you did anything with that? Thanks
It was still bright white and Usable so I just put it back together

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Over the years I have seen all kinds. Some have a piece of really dense foam like material behind them. About an eighth of an inch thick. Have also seen cork material behind the "armor" to keep the light lenses from rattling.

I guess if you had a real burning desire to know, there are books with exploded diagrams and a part number.
Yeah, I know that isn't the quick answer but it would be "the cold hard facts".

I find it interesting that buying a NOS light doesn't come with the gasket .

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my paperwork approved and they said I should be in their system Monday or Tuesday at the latest and I can order them.He said batteries are made to order so I don’t know how long that will take but at least they will be fresh. I have never worked so hard to buy something.
F992B622-44D2-4547-A4D0-88F77CA43539.png

Awol

I see you matched up the direction of both screws. I do the same with everything lol

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started work on the hard top for the DuraVee, my metal guy bent this top for me, he also broke the trim which will form the rain gutter and the door top seal surface when fitted. the dimensions are a little off on the trim it should go under the top not on top, he will no doubt be happy to brake another set for me.
I am hoping to come up with a scheme that will allow me to run a seal from the S-788 shelter to the top/B pillar to act as a rear wall.
He left the front a little long and un-contoured until I can decide how I want to finish the front overhang, I had to drop the GPS antenna so it will hopefully get a signal and the Speedo will work, I have a different antenna that will be mounted on the roof eventually.

Edit, it appears he thought I would cut the trim not to overlap the vertical door seal surface but to be flush, this would make the dimensions of the trim correct.

IMG_20210828_102455427.jpg
IMG_20210828_102503633.jpg

IMG_20210828_102815780.jpg
IMG_20210828_103459759.jpg
IMG_20210828_103636618.jpg
I also am going in a little different direction with M998 #1 I was going to install a 4L60 trans. but I picked up a 6L90E with transfer case this morning.

Last edited:

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started work on the hard top for the DuraVee, my metal guy bent this top for me, he also broke the trim which will form the rain gutter and the door top seal surface when fitted. the dimensions are a little off on the trim it should go under the top not on top, he will no doubt be happy to brake another set for me.
I am hoping to come up with a scheme that will allow me to run a seal from the S-788 shelter to the top/B pillar to act as a rear wall.
He left the front a little long and un-contoured until I can decide how I want to finish the front overhang, I had to drop the GPS antenna so it will hopefully get a signal and the Speedo will work, I have a different antenna that will be mounted on the roof eventually.
View attachment 843737
View attachment 843738

View attachment 843739
View attachment 843740
View attachment 843741
I also am going in a little different direction with M998 #1 I was going to install a 4L60 trans. but I picked up a 6L90E with transfer case this morning.
Looking good. What size sheet did you start with? I would think it has to be 2-pieces but I can’t tell from pics? You used 1/8” ?

Action

Edit, it appears he thought I would cut the trim not to overlap the vertical door seal surface but to be flush, this would make the dimensions of the trim correct.

View attachment 843737
View attachment 843738

View attachment 843739
View attachment 843740
View attachment 843741
Don't forget to make room for weatherstrip.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes 1/8" one sheet, I think they started with a 4X8'
2- 4’x8’ sheets? I can’t see the seam.. I was measuring mine trying to see what would be the best size/direction and I didn’t see getting around having a seam

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2- 4’x8’ sheets? I can’t see the seam.. I was measuring mine trying to see what would be the best size/direction and I didn’t see getting around having a seam
No it is one piece, no seam, I will ask my metal guy but I am pretty sure he said they started with a 4X8'
It is only a 2 man top.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No it is one piece, no seam, I will ask my metal guy but I am pretty sure he said they started with a 4X8'
It is only a 2 man top.
Ok I get it now. Pics are hard to see on my phone unless they are full-size. I thought for sure it was a 4-man. Looks really nice. Can’t wait to see the finished product

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks