• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Glider

Toward the end of video, they find a half shaft with bolts snapped off. Would they have been able to put the transfer case in High lock or Low lock and be able to drive with rear or basically 2wd?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Toward the end of video, they find a half shaft with bolts snapped off. Would they have been able to put the transfer case in High lock or Low lock and be able to drive with rear or basically 2wd?
Didn't we just see this video? and why is it on a " What have YOU done to YOUR HMMWV" thread?

Reactions: OBX

Glider

If someone else posted I apologize. I put it in what did you do to your Hmmwv thread because it seems like it's a fun/general thread, and the video didn't seem important enough to make its own thread.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If someone else posted I apologize. I put it in what did you do to your Hmmwv thread because it seems like it's a fun/general thread, and the video didn't seem important enough to make its own thread.
The "what you have done" thread is a continuing thread to showcase what folks have done to their HMMWVs, it is actually more "important" than a thread started for say this video which would move down the list and be basically gone eventually.
But adding this kind of stuff to a continuing thread means everyone that wants to go down through this thread and see what people actually have done to their HMMWVs will have to wade through this stuff.
So yes start your own thread if it does not match the content of a "continuous" thread
IF I am wrong please speak up folks and I will shut up!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter

And yes, there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to put it in either HL or L for the transfer case, and just driven out.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed the transfer case fluid, then put the jack under and pulled the crossmember to drop the transmission pan.

Last night I used the vacuum pump to pull most of the transmission fluid out the dipstick hole, so when I dropped the pan today there was only about a quart remaining.

Some wrench sizes to take under the truck with you, so you don't have to guess (wrong) what you'll need:

The transfer case plugs are 30mm

TM9-2320-280-20-2 Change 3, page 5-4,

- Step 6 tells you to remove the two locknuts (3) -those use a 7/8" wrench, if the top bolt spins you'll need a 13/16" wrench to hold it.
- Step 6 tells you to remove two capscrews (6) - those use a 3/4" wrench
- Step 7 tells you to remove the seventeen capscrews [holding the pan to the transmission] - those are 10mm except the two that are holding the shifter linkage which are 13mm.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The postal delivery person dropped something heavy on the stoop- should be the grab handles!

You know, since porch pirate thieves are so common you'd think the delivery people would make at least a small effort to make the package less visible, but they leave it on the very edge of the step where it can be seen from a block away. :mad:

Anyway, the handle needed some fitting to work, but the electric hacksaw and grinding wheel made it somewhat easy. The bigger problem came when it was time to sink the rivnuts- no room to work the tool. Took the windshield out and had them installed in minutes. Only two bolts but the handle is in there sturdy.

First pic shows the handle almost ready. Did a little more grinding then painted it.

Handle1.jpgHandle2.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The postal delivery person dropped something heavy on the stoop- should be the grab handles!

You know, since porch pirate thieves are so common you'd think the delivery people would make at least a small effort to make the package less visible, but they leave it on the very edge of the step where it can be seen from a block away. :mad:

Anyway, the handle needed some fitting to work, but the electric hacksaw and grinding wheel made it somewhat easy. The bigger problem came when it was time to sink the rivnuts- no room to work the tool. Took the windshield out and had them installed in minutes. Only two bolts but the handle is in there sturdy.

First pic shows the handle almost ready. Did a little more grinding then painted it.

View attachment 873901View attachment 873902
Looks good! Nice work!!, I picked up a couple of those, I am thinking that I am going to cut down the amount they stick out, it really only needs to be deep enough for a gloved hand to grasp, and maybe angle it just a little so it can be comfortably grasped with the door closed.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I bought a 4 man top and rear curtain the c-pillar and roof bows, 4 man hardware kit and one soft door oh the 2 side rails also. Came with troop seats for an lmtv or something like that. It’s all brand new stuff and best part is it’s 20 miles away from me! I’m really excited to get it installed and I have waited forever to get a top…C0AAC78B-3B39-4782-BF04-18FFB0370357.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks