• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something to do with awd… my h2 was in park and I had all 4 wheels on the ground and I was removing front half shaft and when I got the last bolt loose it rolled down the driveway and into my neighbors yard. I guess I need to be more careful but I thought if you are in park you were good with 3 or 4 tires on the ground

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no 2H, and that is a good lesson that hopefully did not cost you too much, Always chock the wheels when working on an incline

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will bet not very many people know that it will free wheel with one tire off of the ground! I have read in the TM’s exhaust gasses kill 100 times but not one mention of hey this will run you over if you lift one tire on a slight incline. Seems important enough to mention. Hahahaha

Autonomy_Lost

Currently in the ER.

Was working underneath the open rear hatch of my m1151. Its a very heavy door, I dont know, 200 pounds? Unfortunately my truck only came with one gas strut not 2, and apparently the door is too heavy for one strut to hold it up. Long story short, one of the studs on the strut sheared off and the hatch collapsed directly on my head.

I didnt get knocked out but it rocked me hard, so I'm getting it checked out.

Lesson learned, DONT operate your truck if its missing one of the struts.

Edit: thread should be titled "what has your humvee done to you today?" 🤣

Last edited:

M1165A1

I fixed a minor but annoying problem. I had installed my Camotek side blinker modules a few weeks ago and it worked great, but my side markers had some overspray of tan paint from when govplanet touched up the truck on the lot. That tan paint made the markers unreasonably hard to see.

A bit of water and 2000 grit sandpaper today had that resolved in a few minutes, and now the blinkers are as bright as incandescent can be. I may upgrade to LED, but that's a battle for another day.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I fixed a minor but annoying problem. I had installed my Camotek side blinker modules a few weeks ago and it worked great, but my side markers had some overspray of tan paint from when govplanet touched up the truck on the lot. That tan paint made the markers unreasonably hard to see.

A bit of water and 2000 grit sandpaper today had that resolved in a few minutes, and now the blinkers are as bright as incandescent can be. I may upgrade to LED, but that's a battle for another day.
Somebody say Camotek ??? My ears were starting to burn LOL. Yep, the paint jobs can be a bit sloppy. The over spray is a light killer on the plastic lens. All of them. Having new ones is a BIG difference. Doesn't matter incandescent or LED. What you did to clear (pun) up the problem is perfect and great easy fix.

Had the same over-spray frost on my trailer. Elbow grease, buffing compound a rag and time... better that new.

Now I see the light and and be seen, CAMO at Camoteksystems.com

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So over the weekend went to the beach for a cleanup, and did some playing.

On the way home a couple times at low speeds (25mph or less) the truck developed a death wobble.

Once I got stopped, then accelerated slowly, I didn't have an issue.

Gunned it at a stoplight and had an issue, so pulled over to the shoulder and complete stop.

Slow accel and again no issue, and did 60mph on the way home.

Back on my road, gentle braking and under 30mph death wobble again, but stopped after slowing down to about 15mph.

Got the truck up on jackstands and pulled the front wheels.

(side note, I had my truck into Les Schwab months ago complaining about loose steering issues, and all they wanted to do was an alignment despite me insisting there is something loose. They had like 4 techs looking at it and that's all they could figure out)

so both sides ball joints seem tight, tie rod ends on passenger side seem tight. Pitman arm is only a few months old and seemed good (replaced it when I found it loose not long after the Les Schwab visit. Castle nut and shaft were spinning freely inside the drag link)
Idler arm (replaced 2 years/8k miles ago) seems to have about 1/4" play up and down. Will need to be replaced (will order a moog from a reputable source this time) and the LH thread tie rod end was definitely shot. Somehow it's the one steering component I just happen to have sitting on a shelf at home.

Will take it for a drive tomorrow and see if I can recreate the death wobble. Hopefully not, but it's a light day for work and the customer is a friend of my sister so if I show up a little late they won't mind

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
So over the weekend went to the beach for a cleanup, and did some playing.

On the way home a couple times at low speeds (25mph or less) the truck developed a death wobble.

Once I got stopped, then accelerated slowly, I didn't have an issue.

Gunned it at a stoplight and had an issue, so pulled over to the shoulder and complete stop.

Slow accel and again no issue, and did 60mph on the way home.

Back on my road, gentle braking and under 30mph death wobble again, but stopped after slowing down to about 15mph.

Got the truck up on jackstands and pulled the front wheels.

(side note, I had my truck into Les Schwab months ago complaining about loose steering issues, and all they wanted to do was an alignment despite me insisting there is something loose. They had like 4 techs looking at it and that's all they could figure out)

so both sides ball joints seem tight, tie rod ends on passenger side seem tight. Pitman arm is only a few months old and seemed good (replaced it when I found it loose not long after the Les Schwab visit. Castle nut and shaft were spinning freely inside the drag link)
Idler arm (replaced 2 years/8k miles ago) seems to have about 1/4" play up and down. Will need to be replaced (will order a moog from a reputable source this time) and the LH thread tie rod end was definitely shot. Somehow it's the one steering component I just happen to have sitting on a shelf at home.

Will take it for a drive tomorrow and see if I can recreate the death wobble. Hopefully not, but it's a light day for work and the customer is a friend of my sister so if I show up a little late they won't mind
Side note...How much of that hardware was or looked to be off shore from cheap parts China.

Not say one is cheap, but crappy parts to start, CAMO

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Side note...How much of that hardware was or looked to be off shore from cheap parts China.

Not say one is cheap, but crappy parts to start, CAMO
if the parts are cheap crap from China, then they were installed by the rebuilders when it went through reset in 2010, except maybe the idler arm as that was one I bought off ebay but appeared legit. Doesn't mean it was, and failing after a few thousand miles is not giving me a good feeling about it.
everything is covered in the undercoating spray so hard to tell if legit or not.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so update.
Drove the truck about 30 miles with no signs of the wobble. I'm guessing my playing at the beach just finished off that tie rod end that was already starting to fail.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
if the parts are cheap crap from China, then they were installed by the rebuilders when it went through reset in 2010, except maybe the idler arm as that was one I bought off ebay but appeared legit. Doesn't mean it was, and failing after a few thousand miles is not giving me a good feeling about it.
everything is covered in the undercoating spray so hard to tell if legit or not.
It's the short service time that worries me too. Yes, HUMV's require one to be on top of all the parts. With all the knock off parts in circulation, it pays to pay a bit more and not having to do it over again. This is why a REAL good going over after receiving a 25 plus old truck is important. A couple test drives and spend some more money to bring it up to a quality standard. Parts can let go when one least expects it.

Your experience and nipping it in the bud is the HumV hobby mechanic way. (y)(y) The death wobble can scare the :poop: out of you when it hits. NOT fun.

Nothing cheap about HumV, CAMO

Last edited:

rcamacho

so update.
Drove the truck about 30 miles with no signs of the wobble. I'm guessing my playing at the beach just finished off that tie rod end that was already starting to fail.
My prior M998 went through a pitman and idler arm in less than 2 years with casual driving. I upgraded to A2 arms + center link with new TRE. Great steering after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Blue Ox top arrived today and it's fantastic.

Seeing the truck in the driveway covered by a tarp or just topless made it feel like there was no hope, but the top arrived today and I got word the Montana title should be here Friday.

As arrived:

Home.jpg

Touched up the paint with Rapco, antennas are mounted, other small jobs.

NewTop02.jpgNewTop01.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks