• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's amazing what they list as non runners. No fuel, missing batteries, or a belt missing and it's an automatic non-runner lol

Nice truck!
Missing batteries or belts does not make it a non runner, it is simple they put a jumper cable on it and if it starts it is a runner, if not it is a non runner, they are not going to put any more effort into it than that, I have however seen some trucks that a third party has apparently been involved in getting them "fixed up" before sale mostly in CA and then there are a few that third parties are selling outright not requiring a EUC as they have already been through that process.
I have seen several running without belts or even a radiator installed, and many without batteries.

Awol

Missing batteries or belts does not make it a non runner, it is simple they put a jumper cable on it and if it starts it is a runner, if not it is a non runner, they are not going to put any more effort into it than that, I have however seen some trucks that a third party has apparently been involved in getting them "fixed up" before sale mostly in CA and then there are a few that third parties are selling outright not requiring a EUC as they have already been through that process.
I have seen several running without belts or even a radiator installed, and many without batteries.
I've seen them running with stuff missing too, but some listed as non runners are listed that way for the most bizarre reasons.

I have a buddy who got his from GP as a non runner. He put two batteries in it, changed the fluids and it fired right up lol

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen them running with stuff missing too, but some listed as non runners are listed that way for the most bizarre reasons.

I have a buddy who got his from GP as a non runner. He put two batteries in it, changed the fluids and it fired right up lol
I threw down a low bid on a non-running MEP-802A genset based on the video of the guy trying to start it. The pictures showed the dead-crank switch in the OFF position, and his vibe seemed to be one of indifference, like, "I'm going to rotate this switch and if it starts I'll be surprised".

The panel face showed he didn't have power when he attempted the start, either because the dead-crank switch was OFF or the emergency stop button wasn't pulled out, but whatever the reason, it fired right up on the first attempt when I got it in the driveway.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

That's interesting, the only "reasons" I have ever seen are "engine would not start" and "engine incomplete and cannot be started" but of course I have not looked at every sale.

Gastrap

My 1097R1 had some work done to it. Someone had swapped out the stuck start switch, leaving the old one on the floor and never hooking the light switch wiring back up when done. There was also a new looking Nartron yellow label box installed, with the used KDS S3 in the back of the truck ( not even smoked! ) The Hawker battery mfg date was within months of the date on the trucks shipping papers to Red River found inside. It was a Ft Stewart truck eventually sold out of Kansas.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got new old tires and wheels. They are a very nice set other than one that the tire shop couldn’t do anything with. They said it needed another 20 ounces of weight in addition to what it had on it. I watched the wheel/ tire go from side to side on the machine. Other 3 were perfect. Guy said he thinks I have a bent wheel or out of round tire, possibly both. I contacted Feltz and I will see what they can do for me.IMG_2106.jpegIMG_2105.jpegIMG_2108.jpeg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got new old tires and wheels. They are a very nice set other than one that the tire shop couldn’t do anything with. They said it needed another 20 ounces of weight in addition to what it had on it. I watched the wheel/ tire go from side to side on the machine. Other 3 were perfect. Guy said he thinks I have a bent wheel or out of round tire, possibly both. I contacted Feltz and I will see what they can do for me.View attachment 918903View attachment 918904View attachment 918905
Keep us posted!!

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in the day if we had a tire do that we would break the bead and rotate the tire on the wheel by 180 degrees. It usually worked.

Mark
As much as it was moving side to side I don’t think that will help it. That was my first thought when I seen it. I wanted shop to check it out before I started tearing it apart.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As much as it was moving side to side I don’t think that will help it. That was my first thought when I seen it. I wanted shop to check it out before I started tearing it apart.
I once hsd a rim doing the same thing. It was so bad that it was scraping on the portal hub. Turned out the 2 faces were not seated and tighten correctly.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted 24 bolt wheels and I wanted more not to have to change a wheel/tire/ run flat.. lol
It could of course be a tire, ether way it should be easy to tell by looking at the tire/rim while spinning on the balancer.
I feel your pain, I have 5 new tires but keep putting up with square tires due to laziness

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How was it spinning on the tire balancer? You can usually see a tire issue or rim issues. With a tire as heavy as these are I would still try to 180 degree rotation of the tire to rim as it "may" help providing of course it is spinning relatively true.

If the rim was bent that condition would be greatly magnified by as big a tire as these are. These tires will never be close to perfect but you can usually get them somewhat reasonable. Anyway that's what I would try.

Mark

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How was it spinning on the tire balancer? You can usually see a tire issue or rim issues. With a tire as heavy as these are I would still try to 180 degree rotation of the tire to rim as it "may" help providing of course it is spinning relatively true.

If the rim was bent that condition would be greatly magnified by as big a tire as these are. These tires will never be close to perfect but you can usually get them somewhat reasonable. Anyway that's what I would try.

Mark
It had a wobble side to side motion. Feltz is going to send me a different wheel. I did notice some sharp damaged edges around the center of the hub on the wheel after I got it home and took a better look at it. Hopefully different wheel solves the problem.

cahilj

Today I brought the hood I picked up on GP into the shop. The one on the truck was cracked in about 6 or 8 places and looked like it had been a hasty field replacement. No signal bucket closeout panels, footman loops, ziptied wiring harness, etc. Plus, the glue was green and the underside was never CARCed. Whoever replaced it was probably the same guy who replaced the blower motor since half the windshield end seals weren't fully riveted or evenn straight. It's rough. The one I picked up is in fairly nice condition short of the RH signal bucket being blown out. A little bit of fiberglass work and it'll be good as new. Then I can hang the other one up as cool shop art next to all my race car carnage!
20240313_191457.jpg

Living about an hour drive from the KS GP site isn't bad for stuff like this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks