• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice! You have the newer style tires. You also have the brackets for the newer style brush guard on the front bumper and a bonus ratchet strap :)

Wire Fox

I've been laughing about the ratchet strap since I bought it. I've already told some of my coworkers that I'm going to be very disappointed if they try to take the ratchet strap off and keep it. :razz: It's helping hold up some loose exhaust parts that one of my friends should be able to repair in a hurry (looks like the exhaust snapped between the muffler and side pipe, just before the flange).

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Color matching, finally!

At the risk of disappointing AnotherAhab, I painted my tan soft doors to better match the rest of the vehicle. It is the Rapco CARC substitute spray paint. Took a lot to cover up the tan. Had to order more and wait to do the last door!

Bulldogger
IMG_2842.jpgIMG_2843.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

At the risk of disappointing AnotherAhab, I painted my tan soft doors to better match the rest of the vehicle. It is the Rapco CARC substitute spray paint. Took a lot to cover up the tan. Had to order more and wait to do the last door!

Bulldogger
View attachment 653440
Did something mean jump out of me, Bulldogger?! Shame on me, but those doors look real good for sure. :jumpin:[thumbzup]

infidel got me

Looks good Bulldogger. Painted my white artic top od green as well. At least its green now-- and it took 6 cans to cover it, but for a free new in the box 4 man top I'm not complaining.

NormB

View attachment 598459View attachment 598460View attachment 598461Just built this as an armrest and storage inside the truck. Came in handy tailgating at the Dolphins game on Sunday, with my son. Its great as an armrest in the back and for the front too. My 10yr old named it the Mobil Man Cave.

Been trying to decide on which "flavor" of Dynamat to buy. Or Kool-mat. Or Noico. Which one did you use and how many square feet (about) have you installed? Did it help?

Thanks in advance.

Norm

NormB

I took my 3 week old Humvee out today for gas and to get a free lunch at Mission BBQ. Didn't make it. Had replacing batteries (and upgrading alternator to the 200A model sitting in my garage with mounting kit) with Optima D34s (32s? the ones that use the 6TL adapter plates I bought) on my "list" and I'd started it up a few times these past weeks after a 40 mile drive home, but figured hey, one quick nine mile trip out and 9 miles back, but stopped for gas at 3 miles, then a hardware store about 1/2 mile down the road and truck wouldn't start. Had to call #1 son to pick me up for a jump start, batteries wouldn't take enough juice from his VW to charge up, we drove home (about 6 miles round trip) to pick up the Optimas and some tools, drove back, I installed the batteries and MAN did it start right up. Alternator's in the green, seems to be charging, but I put a Pulse-tech 24v solar charger on it. Parts on order (battery terminals), just got the hold-down bracket reinforced/repainted...

Old batteries - 450 CCA each - I can't even find an issue/service date tag/panel on. I'll enjoy dropping these off at NAPA or somewhere.

I'll do Mission BBQ next year.

NB

teteacher101

Backdraft Preventer "Not the movie" :)

I made a "Backdraft Preventer" or divider if you will. There is a heck of insurgence of air that swirls up and enters behind the rear seats-especially for the passengers backside (aka my kids). Since the weather is getting colder the drop in air temp and quantity of air that enters in the back was significant-not to mention the rain that floods the interior due to the direct pathway to the inside of the cab.

So I took a piece of scrap 3/4" plywood, then I used a small piece of scrap paneling an traced the bed pattern on that an made a stencil to get the pattern drawn on the plywood. Cut it all out, did a couple dry fits, a little sanding and got it to fit with about a 1/8" gap around the whole piece. Lastly I made a couple of brackets an screwed it to the plywood an body, used some house window an door caulk to seal up the gaps to make it water tight. The canvas top goes right over it an latches into the tie down spots just like before and is not noticeable from the outside an its barely visible on the inside since I have a center seat installed. If I would have painted it camo it would probably look like a factory option!

Attachments

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the alternator and steering pump off.
Will r and r the pump tomorrow morning and get the reservoir put on the new pump.

Thanks to TheCaptain and AnotherAhab who came and helped.

Bulldogger

Another Ahab

Got the alternator and steering pump off.
Will r and r the pump tomorrow morning and get the reservoir put on the new pump.

Thanks to TheCaptain and AnotherAhab who came and helped.

Bulldogger
I thought all I did was interrupt your all's progress and talk your ear off!

That was great today to meet you and Sean (TheCaptain); I'll look forward to seeing the two of you again soon I hope. :beer:

NormB

Took out the old failed batteries, sanded/painted (black zinc primer from RAPCO) the floor and sides of the box, put some 1/4-20 threaded rivets into 3" strips of 1/8" aluminum ('cause it's what I had on hand), drilled floor for pop rivets, slathered plates with black silicone rubber, put in rivets, touched up underside with primer then put in a new battery tray. Used Ox-gard for bolts. May need to touch up the rest of the underside, but it's good enough for now, I think. Optima D24s with adapters go in next, wires/cables get new post terminals. IMG_2890.jpgIMG_2891.jpgIMG_2892.jpg

avlon01

Went to an off-road park today. Had a lot of fun, but hit the water too hard at some point and blew apart the fan.

Time to start reading the repair manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WAGNUM

I've seen a few different Pioneer Tool Hood Racks for the HMMWV's. Fabbed this one up out of aluminum, not perfect but it will work. Got a great deal on the quick-fist clamps on Spamazon.
IMG_0540.jpgIMG_0542.jpgIMG_0544.jpgIMG_0545.jpgIMG_0546.jpg

Last edited:

joeberg

Went to an off-road park today. Had a lot of fun, but hit the water too hard at some point and blew apart the fan.

Time to start reading the repair manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you didn't break something, you weren't having enough fun ;-) In case you didn't know, you can floor the accelerator to activate the fan disable (for 20 seconds I believe) prior to entering water. Many don't realize that option exists. Good luck!

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled the mechanical oil gauge Friday, after gaining confidence in the new electric sensor and gauge. Finished the steering pump RnR yesterday late, was a two day job working off and on. Took a while to clear the air from the lines, but she's steering well now. Have a few more things to deal with, of course! Will post an update in my personal thread with more.
Bulldogger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks