• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

orgnal

His old engine has a rod through the oil pan. On the upside-- at least the engine is not seized! I can turn it over to access the convertor

bolts. Finally. I catch a break. 2017 is starting off right. While I'm talking about 2017--- HAPPY NEW YEAR to all fellow brothers and sisters

Wish everyone health, happiness, and a barn find this year!
Thank you and wish you all a Happy New Year !

McReddy

Wire Fox

Got my HMMWV finally delivered to me yesterday. There were lots of surprises inside the bed (shiny new muffler, new AMG 242 in plastic, once missing drive shafts, two doors, antennas, ESS shades, a Luverne brush guard, and more...). Removed the strap holding up the old muffler and put the doors on, then called it a night. Today, I removed the rest of the exhaust so that I can take my precious, sweet time in the great-warm-indoors to disassemble the brackets, mounts, and flanges. I'll be putting it all together with new hardware and gaskets in the next couple weeks.
Resized_20170104_151328.jpgWP_20170104_14_31_35_Pro_LI.jpg

Jakob1944

Went and cranked up the Humvee earlier today in 27' temperature to see if she'd fire up......Flipped the switch and started the crank after the wait light went out......I had to hold the starter in for about 15 seconds.......Didn't have that burst of black like my Caterpillar loader used to........pulled two notches on the hand throttle to bring it to a fast idle...sure felt good sitting in the cab with the engine rumbling away......shut her down about a half hour later.....hauled asp back into the house.....DSCN1752.jpgDSCN1752.jpg

Last edited:

DatGuyC

Went and cranked up the Humvee earlier today in 27' temperature to see if she'd fire up......Flipped the switch and started the crank after the wait light went out......I had to hold the starter in for about 15 seconds.......Didn't have that burst of black like my Caterpillar loader used to........pulled two notches on the hand throttle to bring it to a fast idle...sure felt good sitting in the cab with the engine rumbling away......shut her down about a half hour later.....hauled asp back into the house.....
You might want to replace your glow plugs. Even in cold weather mine only takes a couple cranks to catch.

infidel got me

jeng1.jpgjeng2.jpgjeng3.jpgjeng4.jpg Out with the old rod slinger--- in with the new motor. Sad thing is that the engine that I pulled was new. When I drained the oil cooler clear, clean water drained out. Also when I spun the oil filter off, clean water drained from that. What do you guys think--- someone sank it soon after replacement? No green coolant, just fresh water. Weird..... Nothing in the pan cause the rod went through the bottom.

Last edited:

911joeblow

I have seen these get 'rebuilt' but not address the stress cracks in the main bearing webs and they do this very quickly.

Videris

Yeah post pics up for sure when you get it all done. Good job on it man. Inspires me to get rid of that stupid ****in brush guard I got. Haha.

Another Ahab

View attachment 660925

I have been working on the brush guard. Mostly all from MRAP RG 33 fender parts.
Looks pretty cool! Looks like it is straight out of a sci-fi movie! PS: Can you use your headlights in this set up?

McReddy
****in mad max ****! I dig it bro!
Have you thought about any special lighting for behind all that? Like those UV running lights you see under some cars. You know something like this. You might not have any interest, but is that part of the plan at all?

Neon3.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks