• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Bravojmc

Took out the interior to begin prep for lizard skin and cleaned out what I swear was 100 lbs of dirt and enough loose nuts, washers and bolts to fill my local hardware store shelves. When I was in the army I don't remember carrying around a lot of coinage...but there was a solid $4 bucks in change buried in the gunk and at least 10 snickers bars wrappers. Definitely a NG unit. 4 or 5 unfired 5.56 blanks.
lol funny. The craziest thing I found in my truck and it never left the base was a base plate for a Ak magazine....? Odd.

Wire Fox

lol funny. The craziest thing I found in my truck and it never left the base was a base plate for a Ak magazine....? Odd.
That must have been one of those DRMO returns. Probably from ISIS when they realized that the free truck wasn't worth the maintenance cost. I'm sure they rehab'd their fleet of 30 year old Hiluxes with new flags and extra truck be pedestals with all the money they saved.

NormB

Changed the oil pan gasket.

Used a copper thing I got from Kascar and it dripped. Class III drip. Even torqued up to 25 ft-lbs.

Got one of these: Dorman 097-021 Oil Metal/Rubber Drain Plug Gasket 1/2" Fits 1/2, M12, M12 So

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 1.54.08 PM.jpg

Had a spare 12.5mm bolt handy, lost an ounce or two of oil (I'd changed it last weekend), cut the copper washer off which looked like it SHOULD have been sealing the joint, threaded this one on and a couple hours later: no oozing.

Funny, it's what was ON there when I got the truck. Now I'll buy a box of 'em from Amazon.com for future use, maybe sell a handful or "pay it forward."

Stay tuned.

Didn't like the tilt of the commander's seat so I did some measuring and moved the seat bolt back. Feels like my Tacoma now. Roomy. I could put on my kevlar and chicken plate and not have my face pressed against the windshield.

And no, it's just barely touching the seat belt reel housing.

IMG_3356.jpgIMG_3357.jpg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed the oil pan gasket.

Used a copper thing I got from Kascar and it dripped. Class III drip. Even torqued up to 25 ft-lbs.

Got one of these: Dorman 097-021 Oil Metal/Rubber Drain Plug Gasket 1/2" Fits 1/2, M12, M12 So

View attachment 675695

Had a spare 12.5mm bolt handy, lost an ounce or two of oil (I'd changed it last weekend), cut the copper washer off which looked like it SHOULD have been sealing the joint, threaded this one on and a couple hours later: no oozing.

Funny, it's what was ON there when I got the truck. Now I'll buy a box of 'em from Amazon.com for future use, maybe sell a handful or "pay it forward."

Stay tuned.

Didn't like the tilt of the commander's seat so I did some measuring and moved the seat bolt back. Feels like my Tacoma now. Roomy. I could put on my kevlar and chicken plate and not have my face pressed against the windshield.

And no, it's just barely touching the seat belt reel housing.

View attachment 675697View attachment 675698
Those doorman sealing washers are used OE by GM in some applications. They work great. Any parts store carries them. They work much better than the crush plastic, fiber, or copper washers.

Cobra38

Checked the transfer case fluid. It was way low. Dang it. Drained that little bit out and filled it up with new.

NormB

Got the truck into the garage. Ins. will want to know it's garaged. Tight fit but I CAN move around it, will have more room in a few weeks when my son goes off to grad school, drums get packed and moved into his room along with several of the boxes of stuff he's collected. Bench and coffee tables he's built also get moved out. I know now the 10x10 foot roll up door I'm planning on installing in my steel garage in TN will be a LOT easier to get in/out of. This door opening is about 105 inches, truck's 86 wide plus mirrors (folded). Tight fit.

IMG_0089.jpg

NormB

Oh, also finished installing the high-back driver's seat. I like it. Not sure if/when I'll add some back-tilt to it like I did the commander's seat (posted here a couple weeks ago), but it's an easy fix. Next job is dropping the transfer case and replacing some driveshafts.

IMG_0078.jpg

Wire Fox

Very excited for my tomorrow project
View attachment 677204
With a buddy around, you can get that one done lightning fast. I'm pretty sure that was the first thing I did on my HMMWV and it only took 10 minutes with my buddy there to start the bolts while I lined up the box. Cleaned the cable contacts, applied a small amount of dielectric to protect the contacts, a small about of anti-seize to the threads to allow it to come off again easily, and used a good teflon-based, high temperature pipe sealing compound for the TSU. I couldn't really ask for a more smooth-operating install. Don't forget to at least resistance check those glow plugs to ensure they're still top-tier and won't damage your nice, new S3.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Piddled with the test stand I made the other day. It's a stand that will work on the ground or rotate upwards to mount on a vehicle like I did here. I need to make a few other brackets for a permanent mounting setup in the vehicle. But it seems to work perfectly for both "modes". (I also included a pic of the "ground mode")

Attachments

Another Ahab

I should know the rules, Mr. patracy, but I confess some ignorance.

I'm guessing by your pics that images of weapons are "verboten" here at SS, is that right?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks