• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

NormB

The best price I can find is about $180. He got those for $25.
Wow.

If he lets them trickle into the market a few at a time he could easily, quickly sell them for $150 or more (best price I've seen in a while was about $187).

Nice profit margin.

Matzel tov.

NB

3jacks

Xdoor refurbishment.

Steps I used: power wash to remove grime and loose paint. Scraper to remove the big loose chunks not removed by power washing. Aircraft stripper, took a few coats of this. Sanding...lots of it. Resin to rebuild the X pattern and damaged Kevlar areas. Light body filler for touch ups. Prime and it still needs some blocking on exterior of doors.

ultrasonic cleaned and tumbled the little parts. Media blast on latches, hinges and spacers.

Etch primed the bare metal and exposed aluminum areas. Interior is rapco 383 green and rapco semi gloss black. Exterior color yet to be determined.

Cudos to the guys who are gifted at bodywork...that is an art form in itself that I don't have a gift for. Lost count of the hrs per door buts well in excess of 12 hrs each. Mostly because I'm slow and poor with the resin so I end up having to sand too much.

Attachments

orgnal

Xdoor refurbishment.

Steps I used: power wash to remove grime and loose paint. Scraper to remove the big loose chunks not removed by power washing. Aircraft stripper, took a few coats of this. Sanding...lots of it. Resin to rebuild the X pattern and damaged Kevlar areas. Light body filler for touch ups. Prime and it still needs some blocking on exterior of doors.

ultrasonic cleaned and tumbled the little parts. Media blast on latches, hinges and spacers.

Etch primed the bare metal and exposed aluminum areas. Interior is rapco 383 green and rapco semi gloss black. Exterior color yet to be determined.

Cudos to the guys who are gifted at bodywork...that is an art form in itself that I don't have a gift for. Lost count of the hrs per door buts well in excess of 12 hrs each. Mostly because I'm slow and poor with the resin so I end up having to sand too much.
Nice job! Looks really good!

McReddy

kcobean

Xdoor refurbishment.

That is a thing of beauty.

General Hood

Xdoor refurbishment.

Looks good as new

kcobean

I installed a rear-view mirror so I don't feel so blind, and I took a razor blade to the overlay on the speedo because it was all torn and cloudy, so I very carefully cut away the clear center area and left the trailer and overspeed ranges. Looks way better now. Before I could barely see the numbers at the top of the gauge. I got all the stuff to change my hub oil and pull the shims out of the rear suspension to fix the camber issue, but my aftermarket wheels have splined lug nuts and I didn't have the right socket for them.

IMG_1698.JPGIMG_1696.JPG

FKAM

I took a razor blade to the overlay on the speedo because it was all torn and cloudy, so I very carefully cut away the clear center area and left the trailer and overspeed ranges. Looks way better now. Before I could barely see the numbers at the top of the gauge.
Great idea. I'm going to steal it.

chdfrnk

Hopefully the pictures show, but just got this truck and this is what I have been doing lately after I found this in the bottom of the diff. when I'm done I should be able to answer questions like is the solid one piece 2.73 carrier usable for the old two piece and 2.56 ring and pinion, etc ........ lol
---Side note, since I cant figure out how to post in the classified...........I have a complete top, bows, canvas, benches, and door filler panel (TROOP CARRIER) Not sure what to ask so ill say 900 picked up near cedar rapids iowa. thanx and sorry for dropping that in here.

Attachments

Last edited:

fpchief

I put dash back together, replaced two tires, put fording stack and breather on, and did some touch up painting. Cant do the camo job till it isnt quite so humid. Also fabricated two support arms for the tray.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Darrellr

Did the aircraft stripper take off the geal coat? I am considering doing the same and need to know what to expect after using this stuff on fiberglass.. Ive used it on steel cars.. great results

3jacks

Did the aircraft stripper take off the geal coat? I am considering doing the same and need to know what to expect after using this stuff on fiberglass.. Ive used it on steel cars.. great results
I used the stripper made for fiberglass and had no problems with it. The regular aircraft stripper will likely damage the substrate.

hangarhermit

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL. The helmet top seems to be the most comfortable, but so far, I seem to be partial to the 4 man soft top and the "stake side" 2 man (I removed the bows & cover). I haven't been able to choose a favorite yet. However, I did enjoy looking for "loose change" in the two troop carriers. Found quite a bit of spent and unspent ammo in the various nooks and crannies of both.

Carrera911

EGT Gauge Install

I've been wanting to turn up the injection pump for a while now but I always told myself I would wait until I had an EGT gauge first. I found this one new for 40 dollars off on the auction site. The 1500 degree gauge would've been ideal but I couldn't pass up the deal. I tapped the probe 2 inches behind the passenger side flange where it connects to the manifold. I put the gauge where the air filter restriction meter was. 12 volts came from my Sure Power battery balancer that I have for my stereo setup. I was very surprised by my EGTs but I'll post separately about that.
IMG_3318.jpg
I meant to get a picture of where I put the probe but I forgot and don't feel like moving the radio rack and dog house again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks