• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

dilvoy

Plumbing is absolute correct, double and triple checked, plus I color coded everything during disassembly as a back up.
New cooler arrived today and I got it installed this evening. Cranked up the 998 and blew the seals out on the new fan clutch. I'm a little discouraged so the truck will sit for a few days while I come up with plan B
It sounds like the pressure bypass valve in the power steering pump is stuck closed.

suzukovich

Something good happened :-D

When I got my truck I was in a hurry to get it registered, so I wired up the tag light and reverse light to a switch in the dash. But I wasn't happy with the non-military wiring (I used 20 gauge wire I had on hand, two conductor black and red) and the fact that the lights weren't controlled by the three-lever switch. I most always remember to turn off the lights because I can see the LED instrument panel lights, but other things not so much.

Anyway, this morning I went out to finish wiring up my interior light and the switch it's attached to. I was around back of the truck checking that the backup light worked (I had to re-do the power connection) when I noticed a packard connector hanging down from the rear passenger side light wiring. Low and behold, when I checked it with my meter, the connector turned out to be connected to the reverse switch. So I disconnected my hacked-up wiring job and connected the backup light to that connector. Now it's only on when in reverse (no manual switching) and only when the service/drive lights are on.

I decided to look at the tag light again, too. I had one extra set of packard connectors, so I made up a Y, put it in-line with the marker light, and hooked the tag light to it. Worked a treat. So after verifying that it all worked, I pulled out the hacked-up wiring and it looks much better underneath.

Plus, no more trying to remember to switch on the tag and backup lights manually. No more worrying I'll kill the batteries by leaving those on even if I remember to turn off the three-lever switch.

A good day wrenching.
Quick question I had found the same connector. Is it 24v?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

General Hood

Plumbing is absolute correct, double and triple checked, plus I color coded everything during disassembly as a back up.
New cooler arrived today and I got it installed this evening. Cranked up the 998 and blew the seals out on the new fan clutch. I'm a little discouraged so the truck will sit for a few days while I come up with plan B
To add insult to injury, the HMMWV fan sprayed Dexron all over my 5 ton . It absorbed into the paint. Ugh

suzukovich

Something good happened :-D

When I got my truck I was in a hurry to get it registered, so I wired up the tag light and reverse light to a switch in the dash. But I wasn't happy with the non-military wiring (I used 20 gauge wire I had on hand, two conductor black and red) and the fact that the lights weren't controlled by the three-lever switch. I most always remember to turn off the lights because I can see the LED instrument panel lights, but other things not so much.

Anyway, this morning I went out to finish wiring up my interior light and the switch it's attached to. I was around back of the truck checking that the backup light worked (I had to re-do the power connection) when I noticed a packard connector hanging down from the rear passenger side light wiring. Low and behold, when I checked it with my meter, the connector turned out to be connected to the reverse switch. So I disconnected my hacked-up wiring job and connected the backup light to that connector. Now it's only on when in reverse (no manual switching) and only when the service/drive lights are on.

I decided to look at the tag light again, too. I had one extra set of packard connectors, so I made up a Y, put it in-line with the marker light, and hooked the tag light to it. Worked a treat. So after verifying that it all worked, I pulled out the hacked-up wiring and it looks much better underneath.

Plus, no more trying to remember to switch on the tag and backup lights manually. No more worrying I'll kill the batteries by leaving those on even if I remember to turn off the three-lever switch.

A good day wrenching.
My mechanic and myself found the connection by the transmission for the reverse light but did not find it in the back on both his Humvee and mine.. Could you please post pics so we can identify where you found yours. Thanks

riderdan

I'll try to get a pic this afternoon. It was in the bundle of tail light wires on the passenger side--a packard connector that wasn't attached to anything.

Wire Fox

I'd appreciate the photos as well, but I know that wire isn't supposed to be standard on HMMWVs other than an M997. I'm guessing that wire is probably tagged as either 467E or 467F? My biggest curiosity is if that wire was a single add-in, if they installed an M997 chassis harness as a replacement, or if there's just a factory deviation...

suzukovich

I'd appreciate the photos as well, but I know that wire isn't supposed to be standard on HMMWVs other than an M997. I'm guessing that wire is probably tagged as either 467E or 467F? My biggest curiosity is if that wire was a single add-in, if they installed an M997 chassis harness as a replacement, or if there's just a factory deviation...
When my mechanic and I went thru our Humvees we found the plug by the transmission and it was connected. What we couldn't find was a spare plug in the back.but yes pics would help a lot.

riderdan

Here are some pics. Not too helpful, I'm afraid.
backup-light-bundle1.jpg
The reverse light is the one with the new packard connector attached to it (center left) in the above picture.

backup-light-bundle2.jpg
Right after the zip tie, it heads into the loom (center right). That packard connector is barely visible on the left above.

backup-light-bundle3.jpg
Due to a combination of oxidization and crappy eyesight, I'm unable to make out the number on the tag just above the zip tie in this pic (the packard connector center bottom is the reverse connection)

Last edited:

riderdan

So you found an "empty" connector near the tail lights riderdan?
Yep. In fact, if you look closely there are two packard connectors that aren't hooked up to anything. I'm not sure what the deal is (I don't know the history of the truck other than that it was most recently a NG vehicle). But it turned out that one was the backup light wire.

I wish everything I worked on on this truck turned out to be that easy.

Mario

Yep. In fact, if you look closely there are two packard connectors that aren't hooked up to anything. I'm not sure what the deal is (I don't know the history of the truck other than that it was most recently a NG vehicle). But it turned out that one was the backup light wire.

I wish everything I worked on on this truck turned out to be that easy.
I'm going to have to test few connectors that I found in same location. I've been putting off installing backup and license lights for too long.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Action

Due to a combination of oxidization and crappy eyesight, I'm unable to make out the number on the tag just above the zip tie in this pic (the packard connector center bottom is the reverse connection)
If you can tell us the tag numbers, we can tell you what they are....
Sometimes, shining a light from the side makes them easier to read. Maybe just try to put the phone near it a take some.

fpchief

Got the fording kit completely installed, repaired a vent line on a rear hub, and ran some coax.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks