• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

shawnshumvee

Done some research on my engine today and with the help from Member's on this site and my personal digging I have came to the following conclusion on my engine.

Its a 6.5 GEP Optimizer with casting numbers:
Rear upper portion of the block casting numbers: Left side-12555506 & Right side-12-5-M= 2005. (December 5th 2005)
506 found in the intake valley.
Double triangles (<> the navistar casting mark) also found in the valley of the intake.
J28 found on lower driver side of the block.

So given the new engine data (Year) and my odometer is very clean (really clean) and only reads 19k maybe, JUST MAYBE it was replaced and is accurate? The Milage and the engine that is. I know Military odometer readings are often unreliable but hey, there is a chance? Moreover, all over my engine is colored company markings (QC markings) which is a very good indication that the engine isn't to old or at least it hasn't been ran very much because these makings are found on newer clean engines and don't last to long engines with age and higher milage. I mean i even have markings on and near exhaust components which definitely don't stay on for long.

take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think.

IMG_7233.jpgIMG_7235.jpgIMG_7236.jpgIMG_7234.jpgIMG_7183.jpgIMG_7166.jpg

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Minor but been meaning to get to it

I slit 4 twelve inch lengths of 3/8” diameter tubing and slipped them over the door crossbars so the vinyl windows won’t get as scratched when I tuck them in. Window open weather is coming!
Bulldogger
0147ADDF-7E1A-4535-B6BD-6F9DA773245B.jpg2FF64143-FB2D-4802-9E3E-B78E7EC67BA4.jpg

suzukovich

We after dealing with the gremlins in my powered steering. This weekend provide vehicle support for the Suncoast Chapter 14 of the Korean War Veteran Association at England Brothers Park in Pinellas Park on Saturday. Then today was in the Greek Independence Day Parade in Tarpon Springs Fl. And of course Biff Burger Millitary Vehicle and Motorcycle show also on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

NormB

I slit 4 twelve inch lengths of 3/8” diameter tubing and slipped them over the door crossbars so the vinyl windows won’t get as scratched when I tuck them in. Window open weather is coming!
Bulldogger
View attachment 722435View attachment 722436
As they say (whoever "they" are - well, THEY know who they are), it's the little things that matter most.

I'm sure your HMMWV appreciates the gesture.

Actually, all sarcasm aside, that's a great idea.

Thanks again for posting.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As they say (whoever "they" are - well, THEY know who they are), it's the little things that matter most.

I'm sure your HMMWV appreciates the gesture.

Actually, all sarcasm aside, that's a great idea.

Thanks again for posting.
Thank-you for noticing. I wish I could have gotten a lot more done, but yes, little things count too!

Bulldogger

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Added some dynomat sound deadener. Going to make a center console out of wood or fiberglass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you have a lot of challenges in following the corrugations? Any tips for those of us afraid to try?

Bulldogger

FFesco

Did you have a lot of challenges in following the corrugations? Any tips for those of us afraid to try?

Bulldogger
None whatsoever, I would recommend buying the good stuff, Dynamat, conforms very easily. I did use a handheld torch to help “fuse” it once I was finished.

FFesco

How noticeable was the sound reduction?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It’s definitely noticeable, more so when I put it on the back side of the doghouse! I plan on putting down a piece of plywood on top of it as well as a center console that will also be insulated. Definitely recommend the Dynamat!

infidel got me

Replaced the non-grease able lower ball joints yesterday. My Humvee sounded like a pirate ship creaking over bumps. Not a bad job at all- took about 3 hours and I took my time. Truck is happy again....:D

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the non-grease able lower ball joints yesterday. My Humvee sounded like a pirate ship creaking over bumps. Not a bad job at all- took about 3 hours and I took my time. Truck is happy again....:D
Did you take any pictures along the way? I’ve a few non-greasable ball joints too I might replace. Looks like an involved job!

Bulldogger

infidel got me

Sorry no pics. but it's not bad. They bolt in to control arm. Remove wheel and use a jackstand. Lower balljoint nut is 15/16-- ball joint bolts are 9/16. Air powered pickle fork to separate joint from steering knuckle. The lower bolts are a little tricky to hold, I used a 9/16 s-wrench

Action

Sorry no pics. but it's not bad. They bolt in to control arm. Remove wheel and use a jackstand. Lower balljoint nut is 15/16-- ball joint bolts are 9/16. Air powered pickle fork to separate joint from steering knuckle. The lower bolts are a little tricky to hold, I used a 9/16 s-wrench
The lower bolts come out easy if you remove the hub first. Did you rip the boots with the pickle fork?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks