• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

riderdan

Got the driver's seat cover from Jatonka installed. I need to pull it a little tighter, but it's very well made and a good fit.

IMG_0597.JPG

I also added these flip up steps to the rear bumper.

step.png

I spent a few years jumping out of planes and was in a pretty bad motorcycle accident a while back and have the devil of a time getting into and out of the bed. Hopefully these will help

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you get the step from? I like it.
I saw that and had to have it. Found the best price at a website called Zoro. The Surplus warehouse has a good price, but shipping was almost the same price as the two steps I wanted. Amazon has it, but at nearly $15 each with Prime.

At Zoro I was out the door with two of these for just under $20. I look forward to putting them on.

BDGR

someoldmoose

Found these on TrucknTow.com if anyone prefers stainless or shiny. $22.99 ea. ss stephandle.jpg Just sharing. Saw while shopping for the cable style ladder / step for the front of mine.

orgnal

Got the driver's seat cover from Jatonka installed. I need to pull it a little tighter, but it's very well made and a good fit.

View attachment 735587

I also added these flip up steps to the rear bumper.

View attachment 735589

I spent a few years jumping out of planes and was in a pretty bad motorcycle accident a while back and have the devil of a time getting into and out of the bed. Hopefully these will help
Share pictures of where you mount the folding step

McReddy

riderdan

step-location.jpg
I decided to put it outside the swing of the tailgate so I can still use it if the gate is down. It's a little hard to see, but it's right above the reverse light.

shawnshumvee

I finally found my block ID numbers. I was looking in the wrong place. It's a 2003 GEP engine. My truck is an 86 model. I think I got lucky...
Yes you did! My engine is 2005 6.5 GEP. Inside the valley (under the intake) you should a 503 casting ( made up of a bunch of dots), if so i believe that's a Novastar casting. one of the best. they fixed all the issues the GM 6.5 had.

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the internet.....GM actually got it right toward the end but gave up. The Navistar (spelling?) foundry was chosen because GM was having to replace too many Humvee engines. These folks made all of the Powerstroke blocks I think.
From what I can gather the 6.5 NA are pretty much bullitproof if kept cool which is why I'm running a 160 degree thermostat. I have to run it hard to get it to move off of 180 degrees.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the internet.....GM actually got it right toward the end but gave up. The Navistar (spelling?) foundry was chosen because GM was having to replace too many Humvee engines. These folks made all of the Powerstroke blocks I think.
From what I can gather the 6.5 NA are pretty much bullitproof if kept cool which is why I'm running a 160 degree thermostat. I have to run it hard to get it to move off of 180 degrees.
I'm not sure it's a matter of keeping a lower overall operating temp. I think it's more a matter of preventing localized hotspots.

Keeping the whole thing cooler may keep the hotspots less hot, but I still think the primary concern are those small pockets near #8 that get hot. I speculate that faster circulation may go further towards this than cooler coolant....

(Comments welcome)

orgnal

I'm not sure it's a matter of keeping a lower overall operating temp. I think it's more a matter of preventing localized hotspots.

Keeping the whole thing cooler may keep the hotspots less hot, but I still think the primary concern are those small pockets near #8 that get hot. I speculate that faster circulation may go further towards this than cooler coolant....

(Comments welcome)
I agree with you

McReddy

911joeblow

(Comments welcome)
You are very correct. The rear block design and the overall coolant flow pattern on these blocks leaves a lot to be desired. Of course most on here know about our Cooling Upgrade Kits to fix this. We have a blog which describes the issue in detail here:

https://paradoxbydesign.com/blogs/news/the-humvee-diesel-engine-cooling-paradox

The kits for HMMWV trucks, both 6.2 and 6.5 and 6.5T are here:

https://paradoxbydesign.com/collect...oducts/hmmwv-humvee-cooling-upgrade-system-v3

Action

You are very correct. The rear block design and the overall coolant flow pattern on these blocks leaves a lot to be desired. Of course most on here know about our Cooling Upgrade Kits to fix this. We have a blog which describes the issue in detail here:

https://paradoxbydesign.com/blogs/news/the-humvee-diesel-engine-cooling-paradox

The kits for HMMWV trucks, both 6.2 and 6.5 and 6.5T are here:

https://paradoxbydesign.com/collect...oducts/hmmwv-humvee-cooling-upgrade-system-v3
But someone did do a temp test with the kit, and the rear of the block got hotter with that kit installed. IIRC. Then the maker came back and said it didn't get cooler, but it evened out the temps?
Of course we know about your kit, you advertise in on every cooling thread, and more. Isn't this what the FOR SALE section is for?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks