• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I going to puke if one more person refers to the #8 as a cooling issue.....once and for freaking all, it’s a defect in the casting of the block.

The story is that GM's block design had a flaw in the way the head bolts in the Number 8 cylinder area went into the block. Stress was created that eventually caused the block to crack in some engines. There is an area on the #8 cylinder wall where a hole is tapped for the head bolt. The cylinder wall is thicker in that area. The crack was occurring where the wall was thinner, on the opposite end. The engineers decided to extend that thicker portion further down the cylinder wall, to help alleviate the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wire Fox

Started to tear down the top end of the engine again, but couldn't locate my 15mm deep well sockets post-move...so I didn't get very far. I've got a friend coming by tonight to help that has all the right tools. With some luck, we'll have the injection pump off and in the mail for tomorrow morning. (I finally bit the bullet and decided that I need a solid baseline of a professional rebuild. There's no time left to keep playing with it on my own.)

therooster2001

Picked up some new Baja's from Wes, and had grabbed two spare wheels and tires (I needed spares anyway) a week ago, so I can slowly work on the new tires without being on blocks and jack stands just in case I didn't get the right o-ring or something, and it's left for a day or more. It's on the street now, so any sort of appearance of not being drivable, and I will get a ticket and tow. I found some yellow grease pencil marks the other day, which i just washed off with dish soap. I am on the radar!

Redoing the front doors which had the paint flaking off down to the gelcoat, lots of bubbles and cross bubbles (matching the fiberglass pattern). The back doors looked in worse shape, and I had filler work to do, but painted up way easier than the front so far. CARC (assumably) doesn't like to come off with stripper, but the 3 color camo accents in black and brown came off fine. Now I am deciding if I should take the door 100% down, or see if feathering the edges will show. I think after good sand, and a quick primer, it will tell me.

IMG_0386.jpg

Ran it for 50 miles or so yesterday to get the tires and drop off at the shop with the 5 ton, mostly highway miles, which I don't really like. The speed limits are 65-75 in some areas, and here I am doing a max of 55, so when I could I jumped on the frontage roads. The temps stayed at 215 no matter on the highway or the frontage doing 45. The fan came on like every 5-10 minutes, and it was 91 OAT, and I never got above 220 so I think it's normal, but I am still getting used to the sounds and the slapping soft top, and listening hard, then that **** fan comes on and scares the crap out of you.

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed new drivers side windshield glass. Surprised how easy it was. Took less than 15 min.

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a good week. Fresh coat of paint on the body and touched up the running gear. New top and rear curtain. AIMG_0966.jpgIMG_0967.jpgIMG_0969.jpgIMG_0971.jpgIMG_0972.jpgssembled the doors and hung them this morning but I need to fine tune them a bit. Light bars mounted but still need to wire them up.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fixed a bit of trail rash on the right ear door. Stitched it up and used a flexible glue to seal the seams. Zipper works fine, so I managed to keep far enough away from the edge of the zip while restoring the stitching.
Lots of small stuff. The same log that reached in the window and boogered the door also broke the mounting springs for the rear seat, so I cannibalized one from the front seat backs and managed to fix the other. Now the rear seat latches in again.
Wasn't able to fix the seat belt retractor on that side (broken separately from the above incident). I'll order a new one.
Got the folding steps online from zoro.com. Sharp eyes will note that I need to weld on a lower mounting tab for them. But they work and don't get hit by the tailgate when it's lowered.

Bulldogger
IMG_1132.jpgIMG_1207.jpgIMG_1213.jpg

HUNvee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We went to a US car show on weekends. That was the longest ride (160 miles). With temporary license plates.
She runs great! Only the ventillator clutch stucks sometimes and then it was really really noisy. Highest speed was 55mph.
83236F41-5749-46C7-9EA3-5A8AE9130E9B.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks