• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

DREDnot

I got ahold of some crusty cargo tarps and bent bows the other day.
Decided to play around with a lower "garage max" 2 man cargo cover.

I cut 18" off the bows.
I tried it with a funky old canvas top with the angled front look, and a trailer top for the square look.

Havent finalized the lower edge attaching details yet...

The trailer top is just a bit longer and looser

DSCN0909.JPG

20191215_114038.jpg

DSCN1008.JPG

DSCN1011.JPG

20191215_145820.jpg

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got ahold of some crusty cargo tarps and bent bows the other day.
Decided to play around with a lower "garage max" 2 man cargo cover.

I cut 18" off the bows.
I tried it with a funky old canvas top with the angled front look, and a trailer top for the square look.

Havent finalized the lower edge attaching details yet...

The trailer top is just a bit longer and looser

View attachment 785271

View attachment 785272

View attachment 785273

View attachment 785274

View attachment 785275
Doesn't look half bad! You need to stitch some tie-downs on now. I use straps and D rings on soft slant backs, those would be easy to stich on by hand with a Speedy Stitcher or similar tool.

Bulldogger

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple days ago I found grease all over the inside of the drivers front wheel well. Looks like it was flung out from the CV boot, fortunately the inner one. Have some CV boots and new nord lock washers on order.
Set up my temper tent to use as a work garage since it's went and cold around here a lot, but it's 6 inches shorter at the cross member than my 1123 with the amtech tall hard top on it (tent 8', top 8'5") so will have to raise the tent a few inches to get it in and out.

On Saturday took the truck to a lighted tractor parade about an hour from here, our group had about 8 or 9 trucks including a 1 1/2 ton, a WWII jeep, some 5 tons, an alley cat (experimental 6 wheeled truck using mostly mutt parts, supposedly only 68 ever made, and only 4 known to still be in the U.S.) and my HMMWV with the MEP-802 to power the lights. Really long parade for the route, we were near the end and didn't even move until 50 minutes into it, and the first entries were done at 30 minutes after start.

Shurts

A couple days ago I found grease all over the inside of the drivers front wheel well. Looks like it was flung out from the CV boot, fortunately the inner one. Have some CV boots and new nord lock washers on order.
Set up my temper tent to use as a work garage since it's went and cold around here a lot, but it's 6 inches shorter at the cross member than my 1123 with the amtech tall hard top on it (tent 8', top 8'5") so will have to raise the tent a few inches to get it in and out.

On Saturday took the truck to a lighted tractor parade about an hour from here, our group had about 8 or 9 trucks including a 1 1/2 ton, a WWII jeep, some 5 tons, an alley cat (experimental 6 wheeled truck using mostly mutt parts, supposedly only 68 ever made, and only 4 known to still be in the U.S.) and my HMMWV with the MEP-802 to power the lights. Really long parade for the route, we were near the end and didn't even move until 50 minutes into it, and the first entries were done at 30 minutes after start.

You sure that's grease in the foot well and not break fluid from the booster? I have the same issue with mine - I get greasy drops in my footwell/on my left foot from time to time and I'm fairly certain its from the brake booster. Not sure how grease from the CV joints would get inside the cabin.

Wire Fox

I was gifted a lovely little NOCO G7200 smart charger. Ran it through the batteries yesterday and they charged far too quickly and ended up testing low under load. So already, I'm trying out the repair mode of the charger! With the track record of this charger on these boards, I'm not worried at all for my batteries. Once I have the repair cycles complete by tonight, they'll probably be running like new!

suzukovich

Did the same wiper and washer pump upgrade as Carrera911. Big difference. Also loosened the washer jets and put a shim under the lower part to angle it so it hits the windshield instead of mostly missing, now the washer pumps, the jets squirt, the wipers wipe and I get a pretty clean windshield without the chatter of the old stiff wipers.
View attachment 783797View attachment 783798View attachment 783799View attachment 783800
I had done the same thing with my M151A2. Although different NSN number was the same as the HMMWV wiper blade. I went with the conversion as was easier to go to O Reilly's. One of these days I get around to retrofitting my HMMWV.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

mahdey

Brought my dads M1113 from Ohio to Florida. Just before i got out (army) in April, while cleaning out cold storage i scored a complete brand new spare tire carrier that a previous unit left behind. My PSG said i could have it as it was going into the dumpster. Scored an engine harness, some tools and some other crap that was going to the dumpster. This made for a very happy Infantryman.

m1113.jpg

Wire Fox

Brought my dads M1113 from Ohio to Florida. Just before i got out (army) in April, while cleaning out cold storage i scored a complete brand new spare tire carrier that a previous unit left behind. My PSG said i could have it as it was going into the dumpster. Scored an engine harness, some tools and some other crap that was going to the dumpster. This made for a very happy Infantryman.

View attachment 786449
I saved a brand new ULCANS camo net set from the same fate. Some poor bastard accidentally ordered a pallet of them instead of a single set, so the order came down to make the extras disappear. I walked away with one...

...makes me think that we really need to revamp our processes to make it easier for someone to correct a mistake like this rather than going for the wasteful option. Until then, good find, and enjoy reaping the benefits of your tax dollars at work.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You sure that's grease in the foot well and not break fluid from the booster? I have the same issue with mine - I get greasy drops in my footwell/on my left foot from time to time and I'm fairly certain its from the brake booster. Not sure how grease from the CV joints would get inside the cabin.
In my case it was power steering fluid in that area.

Best,

T

Ajax MD

Pouring rain all day today, so I brought the doors inside and re-stitched the canvas to the zippers and windows while watching TV.
Viola! Functional doors.

The windows are clear and the canvas (vinyl) isn't rotted, so it was worth 4 hours of my time. I figure the stitching will hold 6-12 months which will let me get the truck mechanically sorted, then I'll buy a complete, new 2-man canvas set.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks