• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

MattNC

Mogman, thanks for the review. Were your previous tires the standard goodyear M/T? Just curious what the new one is quieter than. Are you running the same rims as before or new wheels as well?

Thanks

123mack

They keep all the best roads to their selves!
Took my son out on some trails. Turned out that one of the trails were closed (ugh). Luckily forest service let me off with a warning after talking to me about the HMMWV for about 30 min. Anyway, a few pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That HMMWV is from my old National Guard unit, 20th group. 2SF would be 2nd BN, and if I remember right was mostly in MS, but it's been a long time. Spent most of my time in HHC in Birmingham. what are the markings under the tag?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mogman, thanks for the review. Were your previous tires the standard goodyear M/T? Just curious what the new one is quieter than. Are you running the same rims as before or new wheels as well?

Thanks
Yes they were the Goodyears, same rims (12 bolt), no run flats or bead locks, I ended up replacing one rim because one of the previous owners installed oversize O rings and warped the rim so it would not seal using the CORRECT O ring, GEEEZ......What some folks do to avoid the effort to do things right.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the cold start switch.

Note this is easily accessible on the right side rear cylinder head. I loosened the transmission dip stick mount in order to have full access with a box end wrench.

What where your symptoms as to why you replaced it?

Curious as trying to trouble shoot a problem I have.....

Chief B

Replaced the cold start switch.

Note this is easily accessible on the right side rear cylinder head. I loosened the transmission dip stick mount in order to have full access with a box end wrench.

My question is how important is that part? I'm asking because when I went to change mine out mine seared off flush with the engine block and I have yet been able to be able to get it out. I have not noticed any difference in the way it drives without it, but am curious if it is going to cause more damage in the long run. I have a new one waiting to go in as soon as I figure out how to get the old one out.

rcamacho

What where your symptoms as to why you replaced it?

Curious as trying to trouble shoot a problem I have.....
Check the HMMWV troubleshooting TM, it’s an excellent reference!

I had two issues, first several glow-plugs were marginal and replaced. Second, the cold start switch was dead which prohibited the injector pump cold start solenoid from functioning.

Cold starting is much better now

DREDnot

My question is how important is that part? I'm asking because when I went to change mine out mine seared off flush with the engine block and I have yet been able to be able to get it out. I have not noticed any difference in the way it drives without it, but am curious if it is going to cause more damage in the long run. I have a new one waiting to go in as soon as I figure out how to get the old one out.
It is Important for easy cold starting.

It also can cause the engine to be louder(clatter) than it needs to be if it is not functioning.

It wont keep the engine from running, but its wise to have that working

Chief B

It is Important for easy cold starting.

It also can cause the engine to be louder(clatter) than it needs to be if it is not functioning.

It wont keep the engine from running, but its wise to have that working
Any suggestion on getting it out? I tried a speed out, but no luck. Not a lot to grip since it was mostly hollow inside.

DREDnot

Any suggestion on getting it out? I tried a speed out, but no luck. Not a lot to grip since it was mostly hollow inside.
If you can get in there with a drill or angle drill, Drill it out till you are just undersize from the Size it takes to tap the hole. You will eventually be left with just a hollow thread that comes out. Then re-tap the hole just enough to clean it up and install a new one

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can get in there with a drill or angle drill, Drill it out till you are just undersize from the Size it takes to tap the hole. You will eventually be left with just a hollow thread that comes out. Then re-tap the hole just enough to clean it up and install a new one
Or overdrill and helicoil. Before Helicoil, I might first propane torch followed by penetrating oil. Wait 2 hours then use a reverse threaded drill to try to back it out.

rcamacho

Found a fired blank round while servicing the battery box. After a bit of cleaning may make a keychain for the 998.

Finished the keychain after firing the primer a few times. There was no powder in the case.

Last edited:

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yeah it looks unfired to me. If the primer has been struck it is a misfire. Be careful.

Last edited:

rcamacho

Finished cleaning up the battery box and replacing the missing hold down bracket. The box had some minor corrosion which I neutralized and painted. The battery terminals needed some work to correct for over tightening, hammering etc.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a new inner boot on the front driver's side half shaft.
What none of the videos I watched having to do with removal showed was the guard under the brake disc. Maybe it's just on the A2 vehicles or something (can't be bothered to check the TM for it as it doesn't really matter.

Feeling slightly dumb for not doing what the "bought a new vehicle" checklist said about torquing down the half shaft bolts, none of them were torqued to spec, and all of them have split ring washers.
Ordered a bunch of 10mm Nord Lock washers to just redo all of them.

Next project, find the slop in my steering so I can take care of it. Vehicle occasionally acts like it wants to go somewhere other than where I'm steering it, especially bad on snow or sand, and I've already done a basic toe alignment on all 4 corners. Drives straight down the road, and steering seems pretty good other than this. Would have gotten to it today but every time I tried to work on it the weather decided it was time for a rain shower.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a new inner boot on the front driver's side half shaft.
What none of the videos I watched having to do with removal showed was the guard under the brake disc. Maybe it's just on the A2 vehicles or something (can't be bothered to check the TM for it as it doesn't really matter.

Feeling slightly dumb for not doing what the "bought a new vehicle" checklist said about torquing down the half shaft bolts, none of them were torqued to spec, and all of them have split ring washers.
Ordered a bunch of 10mm Nord Lock washers to just redo all of them.

Next project, find the slop in my steering so I can take care of it. Vehicle occasionally acts like it wants to go somewhere other than where I'm steering it, especially bad on snow or sand, and I've already done a basic toe alignment on all 4 corners. Drives straight down the road, and steering seems pretty good other than this. Would have gotten to it today but every time I tried to work on it the weather decided it was time for a rain shower.
Check the idler arm first, but check all the steering points. Might help to have the front end off the ground so you can observe the wiggling. On the older models the idler arm is the weak point, though it was corrected on A2's. Not good to have wonky steering.
BDGR

suzukovich

Made a 35mi run to town today and got my first impression of the TreadWright tires and Centramatic tire balancers, WOW what a difference, smother than anyone could expect, my eyeballs are no longer bouncing between the sky and the pavement, and the tires are much quieter too.
Of course only time will tell about "remolded" tires but so far I am very happy, going to test these less aggressive tires on the 4WD only portion of S. Padre Isl. during the annual beach cleanup on the 29th, pulling the M1101 trailer.
I have had mine for almost 2yrs now with over 10,000 miles on them. I have had no issues at all. I am running PVC beadlocks and wheels Spined balanced the with weights. Off road traction in mud no issues at all. On road wet weather handling has been great. We get a lot down pours during the summer here in Florida.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My only issue with TreadWright is they specifically call out the HMMWV tires and give them no warranty, saying they are an off road only tire.
I suppose, given the price compared to surplus tires it's all about the same, but still irks me when a company won't stand behind a product.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was doing glow plugs today and every single one was swollen or deformed. It was an 09' rebuild with 77 miles on it and it's ridiculous. I've got the special extractor tool and even then I've had one collar rip off and one break in half. I'm 3 for 5 right now. I was really trying to take it easy today and do PMCS.

giphy.gif

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks