• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

suzukovich

My only issue with TreadWright is they specifically call out the HMMWV tires and give them no warranty, saying they are an off road only tire.
I suppose, given the price compared to surplus tires it's all about the same, but still irks me when a company won't stand behind a product.

Funny when I bought mine there was no mention of off road only. I did have 2 defective tire that they did replace at no charge. When I bought mine they had just started offering the HMMWV tires. I have plenty of highway miles on the tires.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

Ajax MD

Oh, I had my fun with CV boots yesterday.

First, it turns out that I have 7k axles. I ordered 10k boots, so they're too large.
Second, the 7k axle has that damned non-reuseable retaining band to trap the bearing cage instead of a large, reuseable C-clip. I kind of mangled the retaining band.
Third, the Doorman boots cost HALF the cost of a new, 10k axle from Autozone. Does it really make economic sense to buy the boots?

I wanted to rebuild the original axle because I'm suspicious of CHICOM junk. I know they're cheap but I'd happily trade a few more bucks for some quality.

Ok, since I'm exposing myself to offshored parts, it turns out that NAPA sells re-manufactured axles for around $55. I've never had a problem with NAPA's remanufactured parts. All I need, is a good part number for them to cross-reference. They cannot use the Autozone Duralast part number.

Does anyone have AM General or other vendor part numbers for the axles? (Even if they're obsolete.)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I had my fun with CV boots yesterday.

First, it turns out that I have 7k axles. I ordered 10k boots, so they're too large.
Second, the 7k axle has that damned non-reuseable retaining band to trap the bearing cage instead of a large, reuseable C-clip. I kind of mangled the retaining band.
Third, the Doorman boots cost HALF the cost of a new, 10k axle from Autozone. Does it really make economic sense to buy the boots?

I wanted to rebuild the original axle because I'm suspicious of CHICOM junk. I know they're cheap but I'd happily trade a few more bucks for some quality.

Ok, since I'm exposing myself to offshored parts, it turns out that NAPA sells re-manufactured axles for around $55. I've never had a problem with NAPA's remanufactured parts. All I need, is a good part number for them to cross-reference. They cannot use the Autozone Duralast part number.

Does anyone have AM General or other vendor part numbers for the axles? (Even if they're obsolete.)
Funny, I cannot find ANY listing for AM general on ether Autozone or NAPA, using "add a vehicle" or any variance of Hummer in GMC
EDIT OK they list Hummer as the manufacture DUH!

Ajax MD

Funny, I cannot find ANY listing for AM general on ether Autozone or NAPA, using "add a vehicle" or any variance of Hummer in GMC
EDIT OK they list Hummer as the manufacture DUH!
Searching on NAPA's website fails. The website ends up listing every single CV axle that they sell.
I called my local NAPA and asked them to try to cross-reference the Autozone part number and AM General's obsolete part numbers and they were unable to find a match.

I think the only way NAPA will be able to help, is if I provide:
-Number of splines on 10k axle
-Fully extended length
-Fully collapsed length
- Shaft diameter at each end
-Tell them that it's the 6 bolt end

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pressure washed the BEOD. No idea how many years it's been sitting out, but it's now free of moss and lichen.

Then not long after this pic I proceeded to drop my phone off the edge and onto the gravel (it survived).

99c5f68225e52cc625a88408b5a8a82c1d6e896b-1.jpg

Ajax MD

Just a wag, but try looking up a napa
“Hummer” axle?
Did all that, also talked to parts counter guys.

In the end, someone on Facebook gave me some good part numbers and I scored a GSP axle on Amazon for $30 more threat the cost of a set of boots. Free shipping.

Ajax MD

Ah...so much fun and games with axle replacement!

I received an email stating "Your package was damaged and returned to the sender. You can re-order, if you wish."
The shipping time now states "Within 1-2 months." MONTHS? Summit Racing and other vendors also indicate long lead times in shipping.

So for now, I bought a set of Dorman boots and serviced my original 7k lb. axle just to get the truck back in operation. I hate that stupid non-reusable retainer on the inboard end. I managed to re-shape it and re-clamp it to the body/mount.

While I was at Autozone buying the boots, I inquired who their supplier was for the axles (because I'm trying to avoid chicom parts). Reading off the computer screen, the tech says that they're assembled in the US with parts from Japan. I guess I can live with that, so I'll start buying 10k axles from Autozone.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah...so much fun and games with axle replacement!

I received an email stating "Your package was damaged and returned to the sender. You can re-order, if you wish."
The shipping time now states "Within 1-2 months." MONTHS? Summit Racing and other vendors also indicate long lead times in shipping.

So for now, I bought a set of Dorman boots and serviced my original 7k lb. axle just to get the truck back in operation. I hate that stupid non-reusable retainer on the inboard end. I managed to re-shape it and re-clamp it to the body/mount.

While I was at Autozone buying the boots, I inquired who their supplier was for the axles (because I'm trying to avoid chicom parts). Reading off the computer screen, the tech says that they're assembled in the US with parts from Japan. I guess I can live with that, so I'll start buying 10k axles from Autozone.
It's funny that when I was younger Japan-made parts were criticized. Now when I can find NOS machined steel parts made in Japan (U.S. being long-gone) I am happy to have them, given the Chicom alternative crap-shoot. (This is in the case of Harley parts, for my 1975 Super Glide.)

BDGR

Cptlonghouse

Made a 35mi run to town today and got my first impression of the TreadWright tires and Centramatic tire balancers, WOW what a difference, smother than anyone could expect, my eyeballs are no longer bouncing between the sky and the pavement, and the tires are much quieter too.
Of course only time will tell about "remolded" tires but so far I am very happy, going to test these less aggressive tires on the 4WD only portion of S. Padre Isl. during the annual beach cleanup on the 29th, pulling the M1101 trailer.
Glad to hear the Centramatics did the trick Mogman. Keep us up to date on how those treadwrights perform for you!

3jacks

Been a couple of years since I owned one and local sheriff decided to sell their 2 (had just been sitting) so I bought both. Here’s one of them. This one is a bit of an electrical dumpster fire but we’ll get it sorted. going to keep one stock and the other...probably customize it a bit.F3804DDC-3F13-4A31-8D35-CA91A566A73B.jpeg04D13F81-B93F-451D-A2D4-CD49D05F106D.jpeg335D653C-F729-4AA8-9BC1-DB20DE1F86F0.jpeg

Crapgame

Been a couple of years since I owned one and local sheriff decided to sell their 2 (had just been sitting) so I bought both. Here’s one of them. This one is a bit of an electrical dumpster fire but we’ll get it sorted. going to keep one stock and the other...probably customize it a bit.View attachment 790506View attachment 790507View attachment 790508
The good news is, A0-A1 body and engine harnesses are still fairly cheap, and easier to totally replace than a civilian automobile., if you want to just get rid of your electrical system gremlins the fast way.

Ajax MD

After a short cold snap of weather, I have reinstalled my freshly serviced half axle.

I also drained the hub and inspected the spindle nut. Everything was in textbook condition. Even so, I can understand why people hate the OEM spindle nut retainer. The tabs just don't engage the slots very aggressively. I'll be ordering the reuseable kits from blue hummer or whoever they are, but at least everything is secure for the moment.

I took the truck for a test drive and the boots didn't tear and there were no wrong noises, vibrations or other bad behavior.

Carrera911

My truck came from the military with red top Optimas in the adapter trays. They're from 2011 and have finally gotten where they don't hold a charge more than a week. Optima is owned by Johnson Controls and they moved production to Mexico some time ago and from reading reviews, the quality isn't what it used to be. It seems a lot of them are dying in just a couple years. The other big battery manufacturer in the US is East Penn whose US made Deka AGM batteries are known to be very good and I've run them in the past. They manufacture batteries for parts stores under various names, but you'll see these gray case batteries at Autozone etc for around 200. Sams club sells theirs under the Duracell brand. They have a 34/78 with crappy SAE terminals for 140 and the marine 34 for 120. Same battery, cheaper and the second top terminals are nice for accessories. The warranty is only 18 months but at half the cost for an as good, or better, battery is fine with me.

It wouldn't have been much work to trim the Optima trays to make them work, but I decided to make some quick brackets to hold them in place. Just 3/4" tube for a spacer and 1 inch angle iron.
IMG_5723.jpgIMG_5724.jpgIMG_5725.jpg

Added some Hydroturf to the bottom of the bracket to give it some padding and better grip.

IMG_5726.jpgIMG_5727.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I had installed a GPS speedo (more accuracy, range and simplify future transfer case choices) and already had a cable entrance to the dash I installed a mechanical tachometer, turns out the MS51071-4 (M809) cable was a perfect fit!
tach.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks