• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

rcamacho

Started valve cover service. Gasket leaking going with RTV per TM.

What a PITA, working on intake manifold and IP line removal for full access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ajax MD

I noticed a bit of oil on the driver's inside spindle seal.

I've ordered a minor repair kit from KASCAR and a locking hub nut kit from bluehummer.

Dock Rocker

Started valve cover service. Gasket leaking going with RTV per TM.

What a PITA, working on intake manifold and IP line removal for full access.

I am not trying to poop on your post but why wouldn’t you put an actual gasket set on it rather than RTV. That will seal much better and for longer. It could keep you from ever having to do it again.

To the military that’s just one less gasket to stock but for is that don’t have a motor pool it’s way easier to use a nice Fel Pro gasket.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
It's not easy like a gas engine where a couple of bolts pop it off and peek inside. or fix the darn leak. IMO, by the time one tears into the diesel intake, IP lines, maybe pull the air cleaner, alternator, push back hoses , wires, etc. I don't want to have to do that again for a leak. Today magic sealers (use the right stuff and not any old silicone) right technique, follow directions one should never have a problem. (never say never) IMO,

All the robots in the factory are a squirting the stuff, so it must be good?

Sealer, screw, bolt, torque and done, CAMO

rcamacho

It's not easy like a gas engine where a couple of bolts pop it off and peek inside. or fix the darn leak. IMO, by the time one tears into the diesel intake, IP lines, maybe pull the air cleaner, alternator, push back hoses , wires, etc. I don't want to have to do that again for a leak. Today magic sealers (use the right stuff and not any old silicone) right technique, follow directions one should never have a problem. (never say never) IMO,

All the robots in the factory are a squirting the stuff, so it must be good?

Sealer, screw, bolt, torque and done, CAMO
I’m using the right stuff. I finished sealing it up yesterday. Hopefully it’s sealed well.

The LT cover was clearly serviced in recent history with a cork gasket and it leaked. The RT cover is sealed with RTV and has no leaks.

I’ll report back after test firing this weekend.

Editorial, I’ve been working on BBC/SBC and Mopar stock for a long time. I’ve never been a fan of cork VC gaskets. I love the higher quality cast covers available for those engines along with a quality silicone metal sandwich gasket.

Ajax MD

Got my passing ticket from the safety inspector.
Now the truck is home and I'm fixing the stuff that I want to fix, instead of what the state wants me to fix.

Gave the truck an oil change with Rotella 4T. Amazing how much quieter it is and how much faster oil pressure builds up from a cold start. The stuff that drained out of the oil pan ran like molasses. I added a little MMO to break down some of the sludge.

I copied the examples of others and built a "glovebox" and cup holder out of an old ammo can. I'll plumb it for 12v and a USB port for phone charging and low-draw accessories.

Depending on when the rain lets up and whether I'm told to stay home from work, I'll attack the remaining 3 hubs and do the coolant flush/T-stat replacement.

87m998

I have installed new windshields witch took 5 of them to get two that were not cracked, grab handles for the wifey, battery disconnect switch that that I'm not impressed with doesn't feel solid. and finally a tach that is a pos. I forgot I installed new side mirrors for a jeep, don't know about that yet. Otherwords spent a lot of money with not much return LOL.IMG_5549.JPGIMG_5548.JPGIMG_5547.JPGIMG_5546.JPG

Awol

I have installed new windshields witch took 5 of them to get two that were not cracked, grab handles for the wifey, battery disconnect switch that that I'm not impressed with doesn't feel solid. and finally a tach that is a pos. I forgot I installed new side mirrors for a jeep, don't know about that yet. Otherwords spent a lot of money with not much return LOL.
I hate when that happens.

lol

RichDane

Tach in Dash

The Tach is a great addition but I also installed a 4l80 Tranny, best thing I ever did...RPM went from 3000RPM to 1850 at 55 MPH.....Will be headed your way, Andyrv in another week, driving the Humvee 403 miles to Hatteras NC to live....all that beach, Sprayed down with Boiled Linseed for great undercarriage protection ...we are ready !!!
UpDate:::::: Made it to Hatteras NC without issue and has been running great ever since.......It loves the beach... Runs like a Ferrari on he Interstate..

Attachments

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@fuzzytoaster How did you fill in the holes from previous armor? Wondering what the best technique is to do that!
From what I've read zinc plated stainless hardware is the best you can get to fill in the holes without going all out on aluminum hardware or major body work. Since moisture needs to be present for any reaction between steel and aluminum the zinc is a barrier. For the larger holes I'm debating about putting a little silicone in the hole before tightening it down and wiping it clean so there won't be any means for water to creep/pool in cracks.

Don't forget to bleed your injectors to clear any air in them and balance your fuel feed. Not hard to do.
Bulldogger
i put in 5 gallons and it fired right up after cranking it a few times. It ran fine when i went to get fuel and then for 20 miles after that.
Should i still bleed it? What is balancing the fuel feed?
iv been good for 2 years with filling up once a month and not having an issue but i should put in the updated sender.
also i bought a 5 gallon can to keep in it just in case, dont want to do that again.

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan on driving my Humvee from south of Houston, Texas to Minnesota towards the end of April. I am getting her ready to go so in the last few weeks I have installed a new head light dimmer switch, a new to me but used EESS, a 24 v to 12 v transformer, installed a 12 volt marine stereo (I have not yet plugged all of my roof leaks) installed new LED dash lights, a backup camera and video monitor, I also installed new LED Headlights, and replaced the old rear hatch door rubber seal with a new seal. I installed my Ramsey winch, and I also purchased and installed a set of BF Goodrich Baja TA tires, with run flats, mounted on 24 bolt rims. I have the parts purchased to install a battery cut off switch and a frost plug block heater. I may get to those two tasks by next week end.

I now have bright lights and glow plugs that work well. The truck starts right up after the wait light is on for about 10-15 seconds vs. a fast blink and off. The rubber hatch seal helps a lot and my next step in sealing the truck is to remove my turret hatch cover and install some weather stripping. She rides like a new truck with the new wheels and tires I must have had a bad rim and/or tires which needed to be replaced.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg14.png

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After our trip on the 29th the boss decided she liked dragging dead stuff and stuff that smelled dead home from the beach, so Sunday we went back, with a plan, because of course we had to take the M1101 "just in case" (much rather the "gathered" stuff be in the trailer anyway) and we had copious amounts of plastic trash bags that we forgot to turn back in after the cleanup, so the plan, with the approval of the park rangers was to pass out the bags on the way down the beach, asking the spring breakers to gather their trash and any around their campsite and leave them next to the road (traveled part of the beach) and we would pick them up on the way back, we were pleasantly surprised by the response and ended up with a full trailer by the time we got back to the dumpsters at the end (or beginning?) of the pavement, most of the "breakers" were north of the warning sign.
Unfortunately I did not get allot of pictures, the day was not real pretty, heavy fog to drizzle to start with, the beach was really torn up past the warning sign where folks had been stuck and excessive means were used to extract them, I was running much higher air pressure this time, 48psi rather than 28psi and I could tell the difference, it never became necessary to lower the air pressure but it did make a difference, can't wait to get an on board compressor so I can really lower the pressure!
The hillbilly cruise control worked GREAT! my knee was not suing me for a divorce when we got home!!15 Mar Sign Post B.jpg
I guess the ol lady needs to set the date on her camera LOL!
BTW dialing 911 is useless south of this sign (60 miles total) as there is no service

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks