• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I had the front suspension exposed yesterday, I pondered the job of cleaning it all and painting it.
I have blasted it with a pressure washer. Didn't do much. Yesterday, I scraped a lot of mud off with a wire brush. That was better but in no way good enough to paint.

What the heck are you guys doing to get your suspension CLEAN for painting? Even if it's just a rough, RAPCO spray-can job?
Wire brush and a big can of elbow grease did all 4 of mine. I probably couldn't do it now, as I'm having neck disc troubles in my C4,5,6,7. A wire wheel on low speed might work?

BDGR

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Block, mask and SANDBLAST. I blast most everything I build or rebuild. Etch, prime, paint and WAIT. Fine something else to do.

It can be a bit tricky and best to disassemble to the component level, But I have done it on vehicle when necessary with time saving results. Something about clean cut lines, knowing the rust is gone and the making old new again. Plus working with nice, clean, inspected parts back on. My HumV didn't want left out of the fun.

Like a big model car without the glue, CAMO

Some before and after photos >

007.JPG161.JPG053.JPG067.JPGIMG_7233.jpgIMG_7263.jpg

If you made it this far... I had the tractor green paint on hand. :giggle:

Cptlonghouse

i went with Black Rhino Armory rims (several guys on here run those) and I like the look.
looked at several tire options And decided on Yokohama Geolander X-MT 37x13.5xR17

including beads, set of 4 was $2,500
Wheels look great man ! I've been eyeballing the same ones for a while now.. let us know if its a big improvement on the ride quality 3jacks.

3jacks

Wheels look great man ! I've been eyeballing the same ones for a while now.. let us know if its a big improvement on the ride quality 3jacks.
Thanks, that rim was an idea from other pics of guys here. Well, I couldn’t tell if the road noise was increased bc of the tread pattern over the incredibly loud engine noise and I’m sure the “ride quality“ is a little better bc of tires but honestly to really improve that you’ve got to change other things too in the suspension (springs, shocks or add about 1,000 lbs of weight to the rear). It’s an improvement but m998 and good ride quality don’t usually collide in the same breath. :)

So I’m working on installing my airlift bumper. Does anyone know off hand what size and thread bolt needed to mount the plate for the trailer plug. There are rivnuts installed in the bumper but nothing I have fits.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gosh, I don't remember any rivnuts, I am pretty sure I used 1/4-20 hardware
EDIT, yep mine just used 1/4" bolts20200328_135704.jpg

Last edited:

DREDnot

1/4-20 is coarse thread. 1/4-28 is fine thread. Most common fine thread ive seen on these is 10-32. basically the next(common) size smaller fine thread.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got a matching set of belts for my 200A install, finished the mechanical part of that project, now on to the wiring, I also finished plumbing up the remote reservoir power steering pump, turned out OK IMHO, BTW the factory pump or at least the pump that was on my truck was calibrated for 1350PSI and 3GPM which is max in both categories for a factory P series Saginaw pump, the replacement was calibrated for 1000PSI and 3GPM so I re-calibrated it to 1350PSI. now I can see at a glance how much PS fluid I have without burning myself or losing any skin! The fluid capacity is also increased.

Power steering.jpg
I also installed the hood reinforcing kit, (would be a good idea to source new 3M tape, this stuff was a little out of date) now to grind the rusty nuts off of the headlight buckets so I can install new ones, oh yes that is hub oil on the inside of the finder, seals are on the way....
Fiberglass does not like me, and believe me the feeling is mutual!!!!!!

20200328_135505.jpg

Last edited:

Ajax MD

I replaced the 36" bias tires with a set of Wrangler M/T's on 12-bolt wheels today.

I expected a minor improvement and also hoped to eliminate a "thumping" or off balance feeling from the driver's front tire.
The improvement is HUGE. The ride is better, it tracks better, it's much quieter. Also seems to turn with less effort, especially while stopped.

When I rolled the driver's bias tire to look for defects, I noticed a cracked patch on the main tread area about the size of your palm. All the other tires were perfect...just hard as hell and noisy.

So I bought 1/4” 28 bolts and they really didn’t want to thread more than a couple of turns. So I was going to just run a 1/4” drill bit through them and use nuts. Then I decided to use a thread chaser first and that did the trick. Thanks for the info. 9DECE1FF-3EF6-4CB7-BBB3-C134B0AC3042.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks