• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the Dex 4/5 is backwards compatible... Someone else chime in ? Don't have my fluids on premises or I would verify what I put in mine...
I just don’t want to make things worse. I don’t want to guess and I’m hoping that someone here can tell me what works. I had no idea that Dexron 3 was so hard to find

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I’m trying to do is change/flush my power steering fluid. I’m having a really hard time finding Dexron III fluid and I believe that’s what it calls for. I see fluids that are compatible but I don’t think that’s the case for our system. What are you using and where are you getting it. I seen Valvoline Dexron 3 on their website but nobody sells it. I appreciate your help
I believe the Dex 4/5 is backwards compatible... Someone else chime in ? Don't have my fluids on premises or I would verify what I put in mine...
DEX 6 is only backwards compatible in transmissions. GM put out a service bulletin about it causing premature failures in some type of gearbox (I think transfer cases)

DEX III is readily available still, below are just a few examples

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be able to get Dex III anywhere, even TSC carries it in their traveler brand, it has been said here that Dex VI will cause leaks

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be able to get Dex III anywhere, even TSC carries it in their traveler brand, it has been said here that Dex VI will cause leaks
I just don’t want to put the wrong stuff in and the way stuff is labeled I didn’t know if it would work. I will try TSC and o’Reillys and see what they have.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I THINK so. My memory was a white bottle, but I used it and threw it away so I can't say for sure.

I know it was Valvoline, listed as DEX/MERC and had ATF on the label along with DEX III..

(I had to drain/refill my power steering.)

Glider

Welded in receiver hitch. I removed pintle. If I do need one I can make a pintle receiver from leftover parts. It is 18" tube welded to airlift bumper and braced at other end with angle welded to receiver an it bolted to bumper brakes. Still needs to be repainted but its too cold.

Also added Hella h4 lenses and running halogen bulbs. I haven't adjusted yet because I haven't added lift springs in front. That hopefully will happen this coming week depending on my schedule.

Attachments

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was going to change/flush my power steering fluid “Dex III” new filter and all and before I started I put a paper towel in the reservoir and compared the color with the new fluid and it was 1 or 2 shades different. I topped it off and called it good. I changed the engine oil and what came out looked as good as what went in. I moved on to the fuel filter and I drained the water separator while It was running and it was all fuel and zero debris. I didn’t change it either. My truck showed 132 miles when I got it and it sat in a really dry climate it’s whole life. I’m all for changing fluids because I know it’s done but I’m doing stuff that probably doesn’t need done. Transmission fluid looks like new and I planned on doing it also. I’m at the point where I’m going to put 5k on it and change everything that I haven’t done. Anyone else dump clean fluids during your new to you maintenance? Probably more interested in who has changed fluids and seen something that needed to be changed. I did receive my brand new Hawker Batteries on the 22nd and I can’t wait to install them. Look at that born on date!image.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prepping the GEP turbo for a test run, I had to replace the oil pan because someone got careless and bent the original one.
IMG_20211205_113859353.jpg
I also have a sure cure for the POS mechanical fuel pump! This Detroit is getting an AirDog, in fact the helmet top is getting it next week, some time before the turbo gets installed because the pump on the 6.2L is leaking AGAIN, that was the third pump on the 6.2L as is was leaking when I bought it and the first replacement only lasted 6 mo or so...
IMG_20211205_113817855.jpg

I am also curious what was bolted to this stud on the GEP (came out of an ECV) I noticed it when I removed the AC compressor to install the lifting fixture.
IMG_20211205_093950341.jpg
And boy did some BOZO do a number on the turbo!!
IMG_20211205_094009915.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Prepping the GEP turbo for a test run, I had to replace the oil pan because someone got careless and bent the original one.
View attachment 852447
I also have a sure cure for the POS mechanical fuel pump! This Detroit is getting an AirDog, in fact the helmet top is getting it next week, some time before the turbo gets installed because the pump on the 6.2L is leaking AGAIN, that was the third pump on the 6.2L as is was leaking when I bought it and the first replacement only lasted 6 mo or so...
View attachment 852450

I am also curious what was bolted to this stud on the GEP (came out of an ECV) I noticed it when I removed the AC compressor to install the lifting fixture.
View attachment 852451
And boy did some BOZO do a number on the turbo!!
View attachment 852452
Do you suppose that the "adjustment" to the turbo was a DE-MIL thing?
Sure seems like a lot of effort when a small block of C4 would have solved it with less effort.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you suppose that the "adjustment" to the turbo was a DE-MIL thing?
Sure seems like a lot of effort when a small block of C4 would have solved it with less effort.
Yes this came from a batch of nearly new ECVs that had a de-mil order on the sale, I think they were originally purchased by Eastern Metals or something like that, then chopped up, I have no idea if that was actually a part of the de-mil process or someone just being a jackass.
The seller gave me two core turbos, so I got a rebuild kit, and I am going to try and fit an extended nose compressor impeller to give it a little more boost.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to turn my headlights on and grinded my starter! Can’t believe it happened. I use two hands to turn on lights because I think it takes stress off of the switch. I will use one hand from now on to take stress off my starter. It was dark and I couldn’t see dash. No excuses rookie move

Action

I went to turn my headlights on and grinded my starter! Can’t believe it happened. I use two hands to turn on lights because I think it takes stress off of the switch. I will use one hand from now on to take stress off my starter. It was dark and I couldn’t see dash. No excuses rookie move
I believe the smart start boxes will prevent grinding if the engine is already running. The boxes that actual have “smart start” on the label. And the extra port.

Ajax MD

I finally got around to installing a square receiver hitch paired with the military pintle hitch.
I plan to buy an XM381.com converter box because I'm too lazy and too short on time to build my own. Here's my modest dilemma:

I've already tapped into the rear section of the body harness for reversing lights and license plate illuminator. I tied in with military packard connectors, I haven't cut any wires. I can't decide if I should buy the version that ties into the wiring harness or the version that plugs into the NATO trailer receptacle.

I dunno how many times you can T-off of the original harness before things become a rat's nest and you introduce problems from added resistance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks