• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. I still want to check all my spindles before driving on the open road, but that's a good option. I guess it's a license plate, but not titled yet and isn't useful for titling in your state? You will still use the SF97 to get title in your state? I like to think I'll have my SF97 in the next few weeks, but who knows.

Also, I have held off getting insurance until it's on the road and titled, wasn't sure if it would be a pain to insure until I had a vin and title.
Insurance from haggerty was $250 for the year. No reason not to get it even if it's sitting in your garage. It's just a temp plate. I found out later in Indiana I could of gotten one for 30 bucks. But this was the easiest route, and same day plate.

The look on people's faces and the thumbs up are well worth the 200 bucks.

blutow

Insurance from haggerty was $250 for the year. No reason not to get it even if it's sitting in your garage. It's just a temp plate. I found out later in Indiana I could of gotten one for 30 bucks. But this was the easiest route, and same day plate.

The look on people's faces and the thumbs up are well worth the 200 bucks.
good info. It looks like texas has a 30 day temp plate for $25, I'm going to check it out. I have not called haggarty yet, but I was going to check them out and also see if my current insurance provider (progressive) would cover it. Is the $250/yr full coverage on a single car policy or is it add-on to existing? Pretty good deal either way if full coverage.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. I still want to check all my spindles before driving on the open road, but that's a good option. I guess it's a license plate, but not titled yet and isn't useful for titling in your state? You will still use the SF97 to get title in your state? I like to think I'll have my SF97 in the next few weeks, but who knows.

Also, I have held off getting insurance until it's on the road and titled, wasn't sure if it would be a pain to insure until I had a vin and title.
You have a VIN, TX uses the same ID as the military, your SF97 will get you title but I am interested on how that goes, it looks like your truck has a GVWR of over 10Klb and Texas has a definite distinction between below 10K and over 10K, matters not what the truck weighs, TX goes by the GVWR, supposedly HMMWVs over 10K do not have the right to display regular license plates, so again report back on that!
It has been a long time so I have no idea if TX requires liability ins. for the temp plates or not there are several different types, one is a one way transport only plate, and I think another is a 30 day temp.
You do not have to have ins. OR inspection to get a title,,,, that is what I did because it took a year to get this last one (Duramax conversion) on the road but of course you WILL need ins, to get any kind of on the road plates so go ahead and get your ins. now!
I see you are in Austin, I am sorry for you as you will no doubt at least run into ignorance if not out right hatred for you at the DMV.
Oh yes you will have to have it inspected also to get on the road plates and you must have ins. to get it inspected, that is what the 30 day plates are good for...

EDIT:: Texas details follow
HB 1755 adds Transportation Code, Section 502.141, which makes certain former military
vehicles with ownership evidence that indicates off-highway use eligible for passenger or truck
registration. Effective September 1, 2019, a High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle
(HMMWV), commonly referred to as a HUMVEE, with a gross vehicle weight less than 10,000
lbs. and ownership evidence that indicates off-highway use is eligible for passenger or truck
registration.
Qualifying HMMWVs can receive any registration type the vehicle or owner qualifies for and all
applicable requirements for the registration type chosen will apply. HMMWVs with ownership
evidence that indicates off-highway use with a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 lbs. or more are
ineligible for regular registration and may only be issued Antique vehicle registration. A former
military vehicle with ownership evidence that indicates off-highway use, other than a qualifying
HMMWV, may only be issued Antique vehicle registration. HB 1755 does not impact the
registration of former military vehicles with ownership evidence that indicates off-highway use.""

SOO this may mean if you get a "clean" SF97 you should be good to go, it looks like this legislation was specifically aimed at trucks under 10K with OFF ROAD
SF97s

GOTTA LOVE TEXAS!!!!! at least until the Californians over run us and turn us into THAT!!!

Last edited:

blutow

You have a VIN, TX uses the same ID as the military, your SF97 will get you title but I am interested on how that goes, it looks like your truck has a GVWR of over 10Klb and Texas has a definite distinction between below 10K and over 10K, matters not what the truck weighs, TX goes by the GVWR, supposedly HMMWVs over 10K do not have the right to display regular license plates, so again report back on that!
It has been a long time so I have no idea if TX requires liability ins. for the temp plates or not there are several different types, one is a one way transport only plate, and I think another is a 30 day temp.
You do not have to have ins. OR inspection to get a title,,,, that is what I did because it took a year to get this last one (Duramax conversion) on the road but of course you WILL need ins, to get any kind of on the road plates so go ahead and get your ins. now!
I see you are in Austin, I am sorry for you as you will no doubt at least run into ignorance if not out right hatred for you at the DMV.
Oh yes you will have to have it inspected also to get on the road plates and you must have ins. to get it inspected, that is what the 30 day plates are good for...

EDIT:: Texas details follow
HB 1755 adds Transportation Code, Section 502.141, which makes certain former military
vehicles with ownership evidence that indicates off-highway use eligible for passenger or truck
registration. Effective September 1, 2019, a High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle
(HMMWV), commonly referred to as a HUMVEE, with a gross vehicle weight less than 10,000
lbs. and ownership evidence that indicates off-highway use is eligible for passenger or truck
registration.
Qualifying HMMWVs can receive any registration type the vehicle or owner qualifies for and all
applicable requirements for the registration type chosen will apply. HMMWVs with ownership
evidence that indicates off-highway use with a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 lbs. or more are
ineligible for regular registration and may only be issued Antique vehicle registration. A former
military vehicle with ownership evidence that indicates off-highway use, other than a qualifying
HMMWV, may only be issued Antique vehicle registration. HB 1755 does not impact the
registration of former military vehicles with ownership evidence that indicates off-highway use.""

SOO this may mean if you get a "clean" SF97 you should be good to go, it looks like this legislation was specifically aimed at trucks under 10K with OFF ROAD
SF97s

GOTTA LOVE TEXAS!!!!! at least until the Californians over run us and turn us into THAT!!!
Thanks for all the info. I am currently planning to register it as a former military vehicle, which I think throws the 10.3K limit out the window and also removes the annual inspection requirement. It's similar to an antique vehicle registration that officially limits use to parades and "functions of public interest", etc. I'm planning to keep it with original markings and it won't be a regular driver. I've heard from others that they never have issues driving around a bit with the military designation. If I get a couple tickets or have issues, I figure I can change the registration in the future if needed (hopefully..). Also, I'm not actually in Austin and hardly ever go there, so I try to stay away from the haters. I live in a more rural (and more conservative) area closer to Cedar Park and Leander. With the military registration, I have the option of just running with the miltary serial number markings (no license plate), but I'm gonna get the plate hoping to reduce law enforcement confusion.... It's a single rear plate, so that also keeps me from having to mess with mounting a front plate on my truck. If you have a strong opinion on the military registration in TX (either way), I'd love to hear it. I'm not 100% decided on military registration, but leaning strongly that way.

I called Hagarty and they quoted me $762 for the year with full coverage on $30k value. That's more than I pay for either of our new/expensive dailey drivers through progressive. Progressive was over 1K per year for the hmmwv, she said it's because the VIN doesn't come up in her system and it has to go in through another method (stated value of 30k). She said it might get cheaper once the VIN comes up in the system to "know what it is", but I know that won't be the case because that VIN will never tell them anything. I'll probably do the hagarty thing, maybe just bump it down to liability only which was under $200/yr. I just hate the thought of someone stealign the thing, it would be a pretty quick/easy grab with the sophisticated antitheft systems.

One more thing based on my quick research on temp plates and permits- the temporary permit for road use in Texas isn't an option for vehicles over 10k GVW, so I think that is out. You either need temp plates (must come from a dealer), or individuals can get temp permits to move vehicles prior to having their title paperwork, but that is limited to 10k GVW. I could probaly go give it a try and maybe avoid the 10k question, but I'm hoping my SF97 arrives soon and I can just do it once.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
good info. It looks like texas has a 30 day temp plate for $25, I'm going to check it out. I have not called haggarty yet, but I was going to check them out and also see if my current insurance provider (progressive) would cover it. Is the $250/yr full coverage on a single car policy or is it add-on to existing? Pretty good deal either way if full coverage.

I have a 1991 Z28 on my policy. Both are just pleasure vehicles. They just wanted to know if my Humvee was demilitarized! Had to laugh at that. I guess if its up armored or has a turret on it the cost is more.

blutow

I have a 1991 Z28 on my policy. Both are just pleasure vehicles. They just wanted to know if my Humvee was demilitarized! Had to laugh at that. I guess if its up armored or has a turret on it the cost is more.
That makes sense. I'm talking to them about moving one of my other progressive vehicles over and it makes it look a lot better. Is you hagarty policy based on stated value full coverage? If so, you mind me asking what value you used? I was debating what number to give them, the $30k value I used is a stretch, but I also wouldn't sell it for that.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the info. I am currently planning to register it as a former military vehicle, which I think throws the 10.3K limit out the window and also removes the annual inspection requirement. It's similar to an antique vehicle registration that officially limits use to parades and "functions of public interest", etc. I'm planning to keep it with original markings and it won't be a regular driver. I've heard from others that they never have issues driving around a bit with the military designation. If I get a couple tickets or have issues, I figure I can change the registration in the future if needed (hopefully..). Also, I'm not actually in Austin and hardly ever go there, so I try to stay away from the haters. I live in a more rural (and more conservative) area closer to Cedar Park and Leander. With the military registration, I have the option of just running with the miltary serial number markings (no license plate), but I'm gonna get the plate hoping to reduce law enforcement confusion.... It's a single rear plate, so that also keeps me from having to mess with mounting a front plate on my truck. If you have a strong opinion on the military registration in TX (either way), I'd love to hear it. I'm not 100% decided on military registration, but leaning strongly that way.

I called Hagarty and they quoted me $762 for the year with full coverage on $30k value. That's more than I pay for either of our new/expensive dailey drivers through progressive. Progressive was over 1K per year for the hmmwv, she said it's because the VIN doesn't come up in her system and it has to go in through another method (stated value of 30k). She said it might get cheaper once the VIN comes up in the system to "know what it is", but I know that won't be the case because that VIN will never tell them anything. I'll probably do the hagarty thing, maybe just bump it down to liability only which was under $200/yr. I just hate the thought of someone stealing the thing, it would be a pretty quick/easy grab with the sophisticated anti theft systems.

One more thing based on my quick research on temp plates and permits- the temporary permit for road use in Texas isn't an option for vehicles over 10k GVW, so I think that is out. You either need temp plates (must come from a dealer), or individuals can get temp permits to move vehicles prior to having their title paperwork, but that is limited to 10k GVW. I could probably go give it a try and maybe avoid the 10k question, but I'm hoping my SF97 arrives soon and I can just do it once.
I would seriously reconsider registering it as a former military vehicle, I DOUBT you could ever change it later, my Hagerty ins. is MUCH less for about the same value so I am wondering why? could it be the way you want to register it?
I have been driving ex military vehicles in Texas both foreign and domestic since the early 80s ALL with military designations and have NEVER had any kind of issue with ANY law enforcement but for the occasional curious cop when driving a Unimog, seems folks just want to check them out!
But WHY would you want to INTENTIONALLY put those restrictions on yourself???
Inspection is NO big deal, they are fine as is but for the need of a rear license plate light!!

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That makes sense. I'm talking to them about moving one of my other progressive vehicles over and it makes it look a lot better. Is you hagarty policy based on stated value full coverage? If so, you mind me asking what value you used? I was debating what number to give them, the $30k value I used is a stretch, but I also wouldn't sell it for that.
On my policy I have the value listed at 15,000. I figured its a little more than I have invested in it.

SF97's aren't coming anytime soon. Mine was just sent last week. With govplanet, they do what they want on there time frame. Makes me pissed to hear all these people getting EUC's in 30 days and I had to wait 5 months.

blutow

I would seriously reconsider registering it as a former military vehicle, I DOUBT you could ever change it later, my Hagerty ins. is MUCH less for about the same value so I am wondering why? could it be the way you want to register it?
I have been driving ex military vehicles in Texas both foreign and domestic since the early 80s ALL with military designations and have NEVER had any kind of issue with ANY law enforcement but for the occasional curious cop when driving a Unimog, seems folks just want to check them out!
But WHY would you want to INTENTIONALLY put those restrictions on yourself???
Inspection is NO big deal, they are fine as is but for the need of a rear license plate light!!
Appreciate the feedback. I'm not sure why the hagerty quote was so high. They asked me about recent claims and we recently claimed a windsheild replacement, but I can't imaging that makes a big difference. Other that that, perfect credit and drivers records and we're in our 50's. Maybe I'm getting to the age where I start wrecking stuff again like I did when I was a teen....

I'll certainly think about the military thing. Why do you say I wouldn't be able to change to normal registration later? Just suspicision or have you heard of someone struggling to do it? If it's a one shot deal to get a regular registration, I will seriously reconsider, I just didn't think there was much down side to trying the military registration first. Maybe if I get a normal first and switch to military after the first year, I would be able to show that it was once regular and could go back more easily if needed. I've done antique car plates on several cars in the past and never had an issue with getting pulled over when driving around, so I was hoping the military plates might be the same. I think I'm reasonably close to the "spirit" of military vehicle registration. I won't be driving it much. I've leaving it all original with military markings and have no plans for aftermarket rims or nice interior mods. If weekend pleasure rides, a little off-roading, or a trip to home depot gets me into frequent trouble, I was thinking I could switch to regular registration.

$10/yr registration and no inspection sounds really appealing to me. I hate having cars inspected and I'm honestly not a fan of paying the state/county $75/yr for a car I don't drive much. I have a 97 911 that I have not had inspected or registered since 2015 and I've been lucky not to get a single ticket in 7 years driving it that way (I put less than 1k miles a year on it). I know cops have seen the expired registration and I've even had a cop jokingly point it out to me at a local car gathering. I think a cool vehicle gets a pass sometimes unless you are doing stupid stuff with it. I figure it's saved me about $700 between registration and inspection fees in the last 7 years on the 911, I could have gotten a handful of tickets and still have been much better off. The 911 is old enough for antique plates this year, I'm planning to get them at the same time I get my hmmwv taken care of.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Appreciate the feedback. I'm not sure why the hagerty quote was so high. They asked me about recent claims and we recently claimed a windsheild replacement, but I can't imaging that makes a big difference. Other that that, perfect credit and drivers records and we're in our 50's. Maybe I'm getting to the age where I start wrecking stuff again like I did when I was a teen....

I'll certainly think about the military thing. Why do you say I wouldn't be able to change to normal registration later? Just suspicision or have you heard of someone struggling to do it? If it's a one shot deal to get a regular registration, I will seriously reconsider, I just didn't think there was much down side to trying the military registration first. Maybe if I get a normal first and switch to military after the first year, I would be able to show that it was once regular and could go back more easily if needed. I've done antique car plates on several cars in the past and never had an issue with getting pulled over when driving around, so I was hoping the military plates might be the same. I think I'm reasonably close to the "spirit" of military vehicle registration. I won't be driving it much. I've leaving it all original with military markings and have no plans for aftermarket rims or nice interior mods. If weekend pleasure rides, a little off-roading, or a trip to home depot gets me into frequent trouble, I was thinking I could switch to regular registration.

$10/yr registration and no inspection sounds really appealing to me. I hate having cars inspected and I'm honestly not a fan of paying the state/county $75/yr for a car I don't drive much. I have a 97 911 that I have not had inspected or registered since 2015 and I've been lucky not to get a single ticket in 7 years driving it that way (I put less than 1k miles a year on it). I know cops have seen the expired registration and I've even had a cop jokingly point it out to me at a local car gathering. I think a cool vehicle gets a pass sometimes unless you are doing stupid stuff with it. I figure it's saved me about $700 between registration and inspection fees in the last 7 years on the 911, I could have gotten a handful of tickets and still have been much better off. The 911 is old enough for antique plates this year, I'm planning to get them at the same time I get my hmmwv taken care of.
I am no expert, BUT once something is titled in TEXAS I suspect it would be REAL hard to tell TEXAS they did not title it correctly the first time....
I would seek an expert opinion before ever assuming something could be changed.
EDIT, dealing with DMV is easily one of the worst experiences of living here, mainly because all direction comes out of AUSTIN!!
EDIT, by expert opinion I do not mean ask the DMV, that is as stupid as asking a tax question of the IRS......
EDIT AGAIN, this would likely make it less valuable in the future..
Also a claim is a claim, I doubt there is a box marked "oh it was only a windshield"

Last edited:

blutow

I am no expert, BUT once something is titled in TEXAS I suspect it would be REAL hard to tell TEXAS they did not register it correctly the first time....
I would seek an expert opinion before ever assuming something could be changed.
EDIT, dealing with DMV is easily one of the worst experiences of living here, mainly because all direction comes out of AUSTIN!!
EDIT, by expert opinion I do not mean ask the DMV, that is as stupid as asking a tax question of the IRS......
Yeah, it's a good point. I wanted to think that the military registration would work like the antique registration (it's really easy to flip back and forth) because the process, forms, and rules are so similar. The weird military VIN/Serial number thing might throw a wrench in the mix.

blutow

I am no expert, BUT once something is titled in TEXAS I suspect it would be REAL hard to tell TEXAS they did not title it correctly the first time....
I think we are blurring the lines between "title" and "registration". I currently have a car with antique registration and the title is the same as my modern "normal" vehicles. So, the hmmwv title won't be different regardless of whether it's registered as normal or as a former military vehicle. I guess the question still stands whether something can be registered as military and then be switched to normal (like an antique car can), but I think you have either option once you have a clear on-road title.

Another thing I discovered looking at the military registration process for Texas - it sounds like you can get the military registration without having the vehicle titled. The language for military registration reads "If the vehicle is not titled in your name, attach a statement stating you have legal right of possession and control of this vehicle." I suspect that means I could register as a military vehicle with just an SF97 and possibly with only the bill of sale from Govplanet showing the serial number. I still want to get the title regardless, but it doesn't sound like a requirement.

Back on the topic of this thread - I serviced my first hub/spindle tonight. Pretty straight forward and I'll try to do the others over the next couple nights. My truck had the "spindles checked" sticker on the front of it, but I want to service all of them before getting out on the open road. I can see why they have issues with the spindles. It's kind of a crappy design for such a critical safety component. Not terrible, but definitely not fool proof like you'd want on something like this. When I was removing the old lock washer, one of the 2 locking tabs snapped off when I bent it back to remove the nut and the other tab was barely hanging on. Not very confidence inspiring, it seems like they could have done a more traditional cotter pin arrangement or something. These tabbed lock washers are definitely not reuseable. I guess maybe you could reuse if you are locking with different tabs, but worth spending $4 each to replace them I think. I'd also consider replacing the actual spincle lock nuts if there is any damage. Mine had one of the lock grooves buggered up a little, but that's not where my tabs engaged, so I reused it since I had not ordered any spares.
1648522830647.png

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think we are blurring the lines between "title" and "registration". I currently have a car with antique registration and the title is the same as my modern "normal" vehicles. So, the hmmwv title won't be different regardless of whether it's registered as normal or as a former military vehicle. I guess the question still stands whether something can be registered as military and then be switched to normal (like an antique car can), but I think you have either option once you have a clear on-road title.

Another thing I discovered looking at the military registration process for Texas - it sounds like you can get the military registration without having the vehicle titled. The language for military registration reads "If the vehicle is not titled in your name, attach a statement stating you have legal right of possession and control of this vehicle." I suspect that means I could register as a military vehicle with just an SF97 and possibly with only the bill of sale from Govplanet showing the serial number. I still want to get the title regardless, but it doesn't sound like a requirement.

Back on the topic of this thread - I serviced my first hub/spindle tonight. Pretty straight forward and I'll try to do the others over the next couple nights. My truck had the "spindles checked" sticker on the front of it, but I want to service all of them before getting out on the open road. I can see why they have issues with the spindles. It's kind of a crappy design for such a critical safety component. Not terrible, but definitely not fool proof like you'd want on something like this. When I was removing the old lock washer, one of the 2 locking tabs snapped off when I bent it back to remove the nut and the other tab was barely hanging on. Not very confidence inspiring, it seems like they could have done a more traditional cotter pin arrangement or something. These tabbed lock washers are definitely not reuseable. I guess maybe you could reuse if you are locking with different tabs, but worth spending $4 each to replace them I think. I'd also consider replacing the actual spincle lock nuts if there is any damage. Mine had one of the lock grooves buggered up a little, but that's not where my tabs engaged, so I reused it since I had not ordered any spares.
View attachment 863030
blutow , The mind blowing part of these trucks is knowing that the mechanics who worked on them had a parts crib behind them who had anything you might want. Nobody wants to admit it, but there are 18 of those cute little tabs on that locking ring. Use one and there are 17 more to be used. Hard to get on board with that idea - but in all honesty - a cotter pin won't make it through 18 hub inspections...

I imagine that there is a cut-off number where some number of those little tabs are gone and a new lock ring gets ordered. Just guessing...

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
blutow , The mind blowing part of these trucks is knowing that the mechanics who worked on them had a parts crib behind them who had anything you might want. Nobody wants to admit it, but there are 18 of those cute little tabs on that locking ring. Use one and there are 17 more to be used. Hard to get on board with that idea - but in all honesty - a cotter pin won't make it through 18 hub inspections...

I imagine that there is a cut-off number where some number of those little tabs are gone and a new lock ring gets ordered. Just guessing...

The reason for the multiple tabs is so you can get two of them lined up at the correct preload, not so they can be used more than one time, done correctly you would have to re-use the two tabs used before unless you change bearings etc, which you should never do

Last edited:
Reactions: OBX

blutow

tabs is so you can get two of them lined up at the correct preload, not so they can be used more than one time, done correctly you would have to re-use the two tabs used before unless you change bearings etc.
Agree that the individual tabs are single use, but bearings/races wear and there is a reasonable chance that you won't end up with the same clocking you started with. Mine lined up different even with ~10 miles since the refurb. It mIght have been a little wear or maybe differences in torque wrench calibration or technique. I still used new parts and I'm not suggesting re-use of the tabbed washers, but I can't see an issue with re-use if the clocking is different when you reassemble and you are POSITIVE the engaged tabs had not been used previously (hard to be positive if you didn't do the work prior). If I ran a shop, policy would be to always replace a part like this. There is no way I'd leave that decision to a front line worker and the cost of a mistake is too high to offset the small cost of new parts. Honestly, I wouldn't trust this job to a typical "volume" mechanic. You really want the design on something like this to be more idiot-proof.

I was really surprised how brittle the tabbed washers are. For the 2 tabs I bent back to remove the nut, one tab broke off and the other almost did. Maybe that's part of the design to discourage re-use, but they seem too brittle to me. Hopefully there is zero fatigue stress/cycling on these things. Here is a better pic of the 2nd tab barely hanging on next to the tab that broke off. I read somewhere that there were counterfeit washers floating around at some point, I have no idea if that's a real thing. The washers I got from Macmotors do look slightly different from what came off the truck. No part numbers stamped on either of them. On the macmotors washers, 4 of the tabs are painted black, no black paint on the ones that came out. Also, small differences in dimensions when I compare old and new with a micrometer. It could just be minor differences between legit vendors or tooling wearing out over time, hard to say.

1648565882630.png

blutow

but in all honesty - a cotter pin won't make it through 18 hub inspections...
For anything safety related, cotter pins are definitely one-time use. I'm not saying the 18 year old mechanic in the motor pool won't reuse a cotter pin just like they are probably reusing these tabbed washers, but I'm guessing the tabbed washers are even more dangerous to re-use and easier to screw up the install.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks