• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

diesel_dave

Kind of boring, but I replaced my serpentine belt. That tensioner is a little tricky to get a tool on with the tight fan clearance, but otherswise a quick easy job.

I also replaced all the lenses on my exterior lights and rivited in a new bucket for one of my side markers. All my lenses had sun damage. I tried polishing one and the craking was too deep (especially on the front and rear lights). The side marker lenses probably could have been polished out, but I went ahead and replaced those also. It was a little over $100 to replace all 8 lenses and it looks so much better. The truck came with led's on the sides, but regular bulbs front and back. I thought about going full led, but it would have been a lot more $ compared to just doing the lenses. I had already blown my lighting budget on a set of trucklite LED headlights, which I really like. It's hard to tell from the pic, but all the lighting is so much sharper compared to the old headlinghts and weathered lenses. You can actually tell that the side markets are LEDs now, before they were so cloudy you couldn't make out the individual bulbs.

View attachment 864460

View attachment 864461
Where did you get the new lenses? I need to replace all of mine due to cracking/fading.

blutow

not sure what mac charges but it is a common civy trucking lens and truck pro or napa might be cheaper. This lens has been used for 20+ years.... Same as all mv's for many years and models also just not hmmwv.
The side marker lenses were like $6-7 each and the front and rear light lenses were around $21 each I believe. I didn't do much shopping/comparison, just added them to an order I was already placing.

Caactus

SPARE TIRE CARRIER DAY!! After a lot of waiting and shopping..and waiting...it's on. One of the studs was broken (cut off?) so needed to grind the welds, pop out the nub out and replace. Then just a quick weld to hold it and a little paint. Good as new. I wonder if the AAA guy will be willing to change a tire if I'm out of town and my spousal unit is driving it.

While working on THAT project, took a good look at the other tires. Both passenger side tires were REALLY badly cracking. I suppose they were facing South in Yermo..all I noticed when I picked it up a year ago was they were 2012 date codes and had a lot of tread on them. I am INCREDIBLY fortunate to have a friend that has a full new set mounted on wheels so I replaced the ugly two. Now I'm trying to source 2 tires and considering replacing the other two so all four are matched. Another day...another thousand dollars. 😒

Attachments

Last edited:

Caactus

Nice back up camera placement
I actually thought about pulling them off the corners and tryIng to mount one in the middle of the tire carrier. Probably a terrible idea but it’s a little disorienting looking at the split screen display on the backup camera screen.

I suppose I could mount the other camera on the front and take advantage of its IR capabilities by skulking around my neighborhood with the lights off at night.🤪

GuntherRommel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually thought about pulling them off the corners and tryIng to mount one in the middle of the tire carrier. Probably a terrible idea but it’s a little disorienting looking at the split screen display on the backup camera screen.

I suppose I could mount the other camera on the front and take advantage of its IR capabilities by skulking around my neighborhood with the lights off at night.🤪
I know , I have the same system except one hanging from my passenger mirror for turning blind spot. I just switch between views so I do not get confused

Attachments

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reconfiguring my M1152A1B2FK5 AMG #347XXX to M1165ish. Removed factory 2 man hardtop w/integrated B-pillar. Installed soft-top B-pillar after cutting/lowering height of B-pillar to level with A-pillar.
Have temporarily installed M1114 hardtop to be measured for mods to top before final assembly. Will remove rounded sides of top and replace with updated flat sides. Only 2 front inboard mounts of hardtop need to be moved a few inches outboard.
Aft bulkhead and C-pillar assembly to be fabricated, will bolt directly to existing hardtop mounts.
Turret opening to be capped. Easy Peasy, right ?

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks