• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What kind of life can you get out of a 923 with a NHC250?

maddeuce360

Im looking at getting a 923a1 , i was wondering if i use it for hauling. what kind of life or mileage should i get out of it. If i do regular P.M's , is it the same as any other truck? thank you

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In their day, these engines would go the distance and some. Would not be unusual that they got 200-300k.

Some are still in use in older pumps and generators. A few still work old railroad locomotives from what I understand. Also were used in farm equipment and I suspect many are still doing duty in the fields.

Be good to her and she will be loyal. :driver:

maddeuce360

thanks for the replies, 200-300k would be far more than i expected.
As for what type of hauling , nothing more than what a 923 would be rated for. ( i assume its rated on the low side ? ) Mostly all highway hauling just general items, stone, dirt , scrap. things you would do in a tiny truck. I also would like to pull a trailer from time to time or if i get really frisky another truck bought at auction.:D

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dirt and other trucks...been there, done that. BEWARE!!! Getting the first one sure makes it easy to go get more. That 855 cubic inches can sure drag stuff well. Serious off-the-line grunt compared to the A2s.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What the government "rated" it at is so that some 18 to 22yr old wouldn't go "let's see if we can get 30 tons in the back of it, It says it will hold that much!" . The cummins is reliable and not too needy. I trust mine to go to California and back right now. I have some tinker mods on mine though. If you start upping things on it like fuel and what not she may not go to the distance, but with a respectful driver they are fine. I never use WOT on mine, if she bogs towing I downshift to get the strain off. I did 500 miles empty in it last month, loaded up with 22k trailer and then went another 650 miles back home a different way with no issue. It also depends on your truck and what your respect level with it is. Be smart about things, something looks worn out replace it, get it done and over with.

I have put over 120hrs on mine since September. She does get around a lot.

You can do some small stuff to give her some better air flow to help the ole girl breathe better.

Attachments

Last edited:

74M35A2

The A2's get more than double the fuel economy. This is big if you really plan to stack on the mileage. The 8.3 is nearly half the size with a turbo, but same total hp potential (10hp higher if I remember correctly). The 250's have way more low end, the 8.3's have more top end (power), and the 8.3 is capable of higher top speed (RPM), as the engine is rated up to 3400rpm in its marine application. Tires are rated to 50mph or whatever, but the newer ones are rated at a higher speed, though they are slightly smaller. I'd consider all of this if buying a truck to put a lot of miles on. The money you save over buying an A2 may quickly be surpassed in fuel costs if you are really driving it a lot. 4mpg vs 10mpg. Both good engines. The 8.3 is supposedly a 600,000 mile engine, or so they say.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have five trucks powered w/ the NHC 250. All stock configured, all will pull a house off the foundation. Very simple and reliable diesel power plant. Keep them serviced/maintained and operated within their envelope and they will out last you. Your grand kids will be playing w/ them.

maddeuce360

i was going back and forth for a bit about the a1 & a2 debate. I decided on the a1, after all i read the 250 seemed more time proven to me.
You guys have some good picks hauling, if i decide to use it to get more trucks. ill have lots of questions about how to transport a truck with a truck.

99nouns

Just take it easy in out of the cab, jumping off a 4 feet drop 6 times a day gets old really quick when your knees hurt.

71DeuceAK

This is a really interesting thread. I've always wondered how the numbers would stack up mileage-wise if one was used as a daily driver (not necessarily always carrying heavy loads, but still on the road all the time, every day more or less).

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a really interesting thread. I've always wondered how the numbers would stack up mileage-wise if one was used as a daily driver (not necessarily always carrying heavy loads, but still on the road all the time, every day more or less).
Mileage -

5 mpg virtually all the time with the nh250. Empty at highway speed, or towbarring another truck with both of them having 10,000lbs in the beds.

8.3 liter turbodiesel much more variable. I've gotten as low as 7mpg with an M109A3 on tow bars behind it, or as high as 12mpg empty and cruising at highway speeds. Generally 9mpg around town.

Sample size is multiple trucks of each kind, and >10,000miles in each kind.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i was going back and forth for a bit about the a1 & a2 debate. I decided on the a1, after all i read the 250 seemed more time proven to me.
You guys have some good picks hauling, if i decide to use it to get more trucks. ill have lots of questions about how to transport a truck with a truck.
Towbars, airlines, safety chains, tow lights.... and a healthy dose of caution.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Towbars, airlines, safety chains, tow lights.... and a healthy dose of caution.
And a fred flinstone access panel in the floor to help get some speed on hills with an A1.:whistle:

I did get about 7 to 8 with my A1 when I went to Albany last month. 410 miles on appx 55 gals. Granted I only drive about 56 to 60. 1850 to 2k rpms. I am in no hurry. I get there when I get there.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M925A2 averaged 4.62 mpg hauling stone on 150 mile test.

25 miles each way, 69 mph empty on interstate.
55 mph on state road loaded at 48,000 gross.

Haven't had a chance to het any good empty mpg numbers yet.

M925A2 with dump hoist

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were looking at a 939 series truck that I needed to depend on daily I would most definitely be ONLY looking at the 855 Cummins (WITHOUT CTIS)! If the truck is treated with due respect, operated within its boundaries and maintenance id kept up this combination will go a long ways! We just had an in frame overhaul done on an 855 290 HP model and we had over 900K miles on that motor! All the Cummis I own are 855 based and I have never once had one leave me walking!
Karl

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do not lock the steering wheel. The front wheels need to be able to follow the tow vehicle.

M925A2 with dump hoist

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks