• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What kind of life can you get out of a 923 with a NHC250?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back on Point:

The 250 should last near forever if taken care of, it may literally rust away before it gives out.

On the 8.3 vs 250 debate.

Having 40+ M939 trucks through my hands it seems to be more how well the engine is tuned and treated. I've had some mean 250s and turds of both engines. My preference is the 8.3 in a wrecker by far, it's a great pony motor that can get that mass moving at higher speeds that the 250 has trouble keeping on hills and higher altitudes. I've weighed in at 60K+ moving some goods and did 62 mph on the highway and still got 5.2 mpg. When it comes to a cargo the 8.3 wins again due to mpg (for the average joe). I can see the 250 being the champ for 931s for that heavy off road hauling. M934 (van) could go either way depending on use. Really at the end of the day if I was going to have a big 855 engine under the hood I'd repower the 250 with something bigger like a 400 and detune it but that's when I have more money than time. HA!..not in this hobby.

Long story short, enjoy the truck for what it is. Simple as that. :driver:

Attachments

Last edited:

ROCKWELL-C60

Well it is true both are great engine's and the 8.3 does get better mpg and faster in long run, that bog taking off from dead stop sickens me so bad l won't own another. Plus I already have a 350 big cam that should solve any problem.

Csm Davis

Fuzzy and 74M35A2 I see what you think is correct but I have many of both setups in 931, 931A1, 931A2, and 936, 936A1, 936A2 and the 250 has the bottom end pulling power but the 8.3 will run down the hwy better but what y'all don't see is neither one is better overall.

sent from my decrepit fingers

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuzzy and 74M35A2 I see what you think is correct but I have many of both setups in 931, 931A1, 931A2, and 936, 936A1, 936A2 and the 250 has the bottom end pulling power but the 8.3 will run down the hwy better but what y'all don't see is neither one is better overall.

sent from my decrepit fingers
I agree but "better" is defined by one's interpretation. I believe it's more so what you intend to do with the vehicle that determines what power plant you should use for the job and what is "better". The the 250 has more torque on the low end without argument and the 8.3 has a better high end so no argument there either as that is fact. For the average MV owner Joe who just likes to drive the A2 makes more economic sense (but who are we kidding, it's about "smiles per gallon" not "miles per gallon"). I believe the 936A2 is the best of the bunch as you don't need 14.0L to run a PTO which where most of its useful life is spent. I won't get into the older wreckers as that's off topic.

:beer:

74M35A2

Jeff, don't forget to send my lockers !!!

I pushed a little to see who had what under the hood. Was glad to see Techno got emotional about it. I respect that highly. I just have no tolerance for PC. I have always said there is politically correct, and then there is directionally correct. I need to have some exposure to a 250 setup.

Last edited:

infidel got me

Both my trucks have 8.3s. My buddy has a 923a1 250 that I have driven and rode in. If it was a choice of which power plant I had to choose, it would be the 8.3. Just my preference. If you look at the big picture, both serve a purpose, just in different ways. Ford vs.chevy-- the battle has continued for decades. I think it just boils down to driver preference. Military trucks are cool, so whatever gets it down the road is fine.:driver:

Rmtaunton

Ok here is my question , an 8.3 won't lock the TC in first most know why abs etc and the only difference in the transmission is the TC. So do the 939 and A1 lock in first gear ?

sandcobra164

Ok here is my question , an 8.3 won't lock the TC in first most know why abs etc and the only difference in the transmission is the TC. So do the 939 and A1 lock in first gear ?
My A0 does not lock the TC until it gets into 2nd and it is an ABS truck. Apart from installing A1 tires and turning the fuel up, it is stock. Both have the same transmission but different torque converters to mate up to the ¨Medium Duty Engine¨ in the A2 trucks!!! I would not kick an M939A2 truck outta bed but I would tell it that my favorite girl is an A1 250 powered Babe!!!!

Rmtaunton

My A0 does not lock the TC until it gets into 2nd and it is an ABS truck. Apart from installing A1 tires and turning the fuel up, it is stock. Both have the same transmission but different torque converters to mate up to the ¨Medium Duty Engine¨ in the A2 trucks!!! I would not kick an M939A2 truck outta bed but I would tell it that my favorite girl is an A1 250 powered Babe!!!!
Thanks samdcobra as for my cargo I'll keep the 8.3 but still looking for a wrecker and that will be a 936. .... a nothing

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
98G & Jarhead1086 have both shown me that a LOT can be done with the NHC-250.