• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What kind of life can you get out of a 923 with a NHC250?

Landbarger

I've found this a very interesting thread to read through. I appreciate all the seasoned input that's been displayed here. Thank you guys...I'm sure it swells the pride of more small tire A0/A1 owners than just myself.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd go dollars to donuts that the majority of owners here have the 250 powered trucks because they were much lower cost to acquire. A2 not only had the double-efficient and half weight engine, but CTIS, and other tricks. I believe it is the 8.3L that is rated @ 10hp above the NHC-250. 4mpg vs 10mpg will tear a hole in your pocket pretty quickly. I have and love my 8.3L, but I sound like a school bus if at a stop light next to a 250 engine, both at idle. People can't even give away running 250 engines for free (not even for scrap unless driven in). 8.3's fetch $2500 and higher any day of the week.
Straight from the -10 Operators Manual...

Screenshot_2016-06-02-19-18-06.jpg

I can't believe that the 8.3s have to be swapped out so much as to have that high of a resale value. And didn't the short busses use the same motor as the regular busses? Just joking with you buddy. All personal preference on my end. I don't judge. :-D

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oooh ... Another 8.3 vs 250 thread. Everybody knows smaller displacement, forced induction motors are just a fad.
Glad I still drive a 1980's naturally aspirated diesel pickup truck, their awesome, and so cheap to turn the power up on. Harrharr!!!

Popcorn:

M925A2 with dump hoist

74M35A2

Maybe I have just not spent enough time around a 250 to appreciate it. I'd love to get less than half the fuel economy that I currently do. *Grab beer from ice chest here* Kudos to the 10hp difference find, I was not 100% sure I had it in the correct direction. The 6CTA8.3 I believe has a higher max torque rating than the 250 then (lick wounds here). 80k pounds hooked to a non turbo 855 isn't going to go very fast, maybe not even the minimum legal speed limit on a freeway, and probably faint at the sight of any hill unless in the downward slope direction. OK, joke time: How do you know if somebody is an engineer? Don't worry, they will tell you. Now, about that short bus.... :)

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe I have just not spent enough time around a 250 to appreciate it. I'd love to get less than half the fuel economy that I currently do. *Grab beer from ice chest here* Kudos to the 10hp difference find, I was not 100% sure I had it in the correct direction. The 6CTA8.3 I believe has a higher max torque rating than the 250 then. 80k pounds hooked to a non turbo 855 isn't going to go very fast, maybe not even the minimum legal speed limit on a freeway, and probably faint at the sight of any hill unless in the downward slope direction. OK, joke time: How do you know if somebody is an engineer? Don't worry, they will tell you. Now, about that short bus.... :)
Does the 855 have a heavy duty rating? I think the 8.3 is a medium duty engine. Heck, the LDT-465 multifuel is rated as a "heavy medium duty" on the engine data tag, which is higher than just medium duty. You taught me that! I'm just stirring the pot for fun here guys. :) As long as you are driving an MV and having fun doing it, it doesn't matter. All family here :)

74M35A2

It is recommended that little boys stay out of the big boy room. Any one of us can drag you down the street sideways. Your engine label reads "Medium Heavy Duty", not vice-versa. That means, "I want to be heavy duty, but I'm not.". 8.3 for the win. I called in backup, they will be here any minute...

red

8.3 is a medium duty engine as well, designed for intermittent heavy use. N14 engines are heavy duty, meant for constant use.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as you are driving an MV and having fun doing it, it doesn't matter. All family here :)[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!

Wouldn't want all you nc250 guys driving up the price of the A2 thrucks anyway...

M925A2 with dump hoist

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd go dollars to donuts that the majority of owners here have the 250 powered trucks because they were much lower cost to acquire. A2 not only had the double-efficient and half weight engine, but CTIS, and other tricks. I believe it is the 8.3L that is rated @ 10hp above the NHC-250. 4mpg vs 10mpg will tear a hole in your pocket pretty quickly. I have and love my 8.3L, but I sound like a school bus if at a stop light next to a 250 engine, both at idle. People can't even give away running 250 engines for free (not even for scrap unless driven in). 8.3's fetch $2500 and higher any day of the week.
I found the part in the TM that gives the MPG of both the A0/A1 vs. the A2.

The A0/A1 = 3-4 MPG

The A2 = 5.5-6 MPG

M939 Engine MPG.JPG

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ehh everyone has their favorites. In stock form the 250 wins, gotta love cubic inches. But if you consider the old vs new tech, the 6cta takes it in my book. Its virtually the industry's standard, and the fact that its SO tuneable...

red

For most the 8.3 is a better engine. I like the 250 for my wrecker but with a cargo or tractor I'd rather have the smaller motor

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe I have just not spent enough time around a 250 to appreciate it. I'd love to get less than half the fuel economy that I currently do. *Grab beer from ice chest here* Kudos to the 10hp difference find, I was not 100% sure I had it in the correct direction. The 6CTA8.3 I believe has a higher max torque rating than the 250 then (lick wounds here). 80k pounds hooked to a non turbo 855 isn't going to go very fast, maybe not even the minimum legal speed limit on a freeway, and probably faint at the sight of any hill unless in the downward slope direction. OK, joke time: How do you know if somebody is an engineer? Don't worry, they will tell you. Now, about that short bus.... :)
Engineer? Not hardly. I'm a comedian....a broke comedian. "The Engineer" is a nickname stemming from an old inside joke. It'd be boring if I told it, but it amuses me.

You were actually correct though. I bought my truck with a hand shake over the phone after looking at a couple of pictures. It happened to be what it is, and for what I thought was a good price with my limited knowledge of MVs at the time. It turned out to be a good price and a good truck. I've never driven an A2 or rode in one but I have stood beside one that was running. I will agree that it does sound a little like a school bus....but those busses will leave me in the dust when the light turns green. I've also seen other A2s at the rally and they seem to hold their own just fine. The point I'm making is...don't mind me. I see this as being like the Chevy vs Ford debates. Everybody knows what it'll turn into, so you might as well have a little fun while you can.

To return to the original question: What kind of life can you get out of a 923 with a NHC250?

I would say that the main determining factor would be the actual condition that it was in when you got it. That would be the best gauge but it's really hard to say without doing a thorough inspection.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im looking at getting a 923a1 , i was wondering if i use it for hauling. what kind of life or mileage should i get out of it. If i do regular P.M's , is it the same as any other truck? thank you
Get an A2 with the 6CTA...the 8.3 is soooo much more responsive than the NHC-250. The only thing NA diesels are good for, are for old farm tractors. If you're going to be hauling, you'll appreciate the 8.3 turbodiesel. I haul all the time with my 931A2, and I noticed a world of difference with just a little IP tuning (and a pyro).

I could never own a NA diesel in a truck...too disappointing. I remember my old Ford dually with the 6.9L NA diesel; it was a dog until I put a turbo & intercooler on it, then it really came to life!!

BenRoberts

Certified insane
The 250 does fine for me. I dont pull anything I just drive it for fun. When it gets slow I got a hopped up cummins in a pickup so I like turbos too

infidel got me

fat.jpgDoes this count as medium heavy duty or just plain old heavy duty? She gets 4 to 5 donuts per mile! Naturally aspirated but climbs hills real SLOWWWWWWW

Last edited:

Piper Cub

I've never driven an A2 so I don't really know how it compares to the 250 in my truck but I know I picked this truck more for the things that are (or rather aren't) included on the trucks with 250s. I prefer used items to be simple and low on accessories so CTIS, turbo and 1 spare tire instead of 5 are minuses for me. I know, I'm weird.:naner: Although if an A2 at a good price landed in front of me I'd probably still be all over it just because it's an MV.

sandcobra164

I like the A1 and certainly this already has the fringes of a Ford vs. Chevy tone. I like Chevy if it of any importance but have experience with both. Picture of the M936A2 is fuzzy but it was an 8.3 powered truck and I got if for a good price. It could barely do 50 mph by itself and if it hit a hill, 40 mph is your new friend. I do not have pictures of my National Guard issued M936A1 but it could run at 65 mph all day with a truck in tow regardless of what was hooked behind. I would run the hills on the downside to 60 and charge back towards the top and drop to about 55 mph.

Attachments

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the A1 and certainly this already has the fringes of a Ford vs. Chevy tone. I like Chevy if it of any importance but have experience with both. Picture of the M936A2 is fuzzy but it was an 8.3 powered truck and I got if for a good price. It could barely do 50 mph by itself and if it hit a hill, 40 mph is your new friend. I do not have pictures of my National Guard issued M936A1 but it could run at 65 mph all day with a truck in tow regardless of what was hooked behind. I would run the hills on the downside to 60 and charge back towards the top and drop to about 55 mph.
Maybe not such a good price... If it will barely do 50 mph it has a problem

M925A2 with dump hoist

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks