• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

whats the best standard transmission

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you are talking about Cummins.
You need a lot more information to proceed with this question.
-What engine?
-What vehicle?
-Vehicle use?
-Project budget?
-Etc....
Just answer the question...

jjramrod

yeah cummins **** auto correct

A 3.9 4bt
Vehicle let's just say a chevy 4500 4x4
Use everything daily driver on road off road mudding the works
Price range the sky is the limit

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You want to use a 3.9 motor in a truck that weighs around 10-14K lbs?

jjramrod

Its actually for a Humvee this category said not to disclose the specific vehicle and a chevy 4500 was the closest thing to it I could think of . But I do plan to gross 20,000 lbs when hauling a fully loaded equipment trailer. The 3.9 can handle it I've used one with an auto for this purpose before and I just want a standard this time.

jjramrod

You do realize that a 3.9 4bt has more power stock than a 6.2 chevy and 6.9 ford. With the adjustment of the injection pump it can wup any of the 8 cylinder diesel pick up motors stock. I've even seen a 3.9 4bt turned up to 800 hp.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I have one running at just under 100 HP,in a 16000lb machine and it will last a lifetime like that. It's real nice.

4bt, 105 hp @ 2300 rpm 265lb-ft @ 1600 rpm

6.2L, 130 hp (97 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 240 lb·ft (325 N·m) @ 2,000 rpm

Last edited:

jjramrod

Drgreg I am actually valuing your opinion of using a nv 4500. Just not your opinion of a 3.9 belonging in a half ton truck especially considering its it a truck bigger than a f600 dump truck. I am leaning toward a custom built nv 4500 . only because it has been around longer than the six speed. Although I originally wanted a six speed. In all honesty id like reasons why your recommending the transmission you are. I want something that I can put in and never have to worry about again. Other than check oil and replace clutch down the road.

The NV4500 is a tough unit. I understand the 6 speed, NV5600, can be real tough too, with a replacement 5th gear.
The 3.9 can run a bigger truck, but it's still a small engine.
"The Cummins 4bt is essentially a 5.9L 12v Cummins with 2 cylinders removed. This 3.9L, 4 cylinder, inline diesel was commonly used in commercial van applications. Generous amounts of torque in a small package make the 4bt common for engine swaps in Jeeps & small trucks/suvs."
The 3.9s seem to be grabbed up buy the "jeep guys", I won't say what I think of them.