• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel Studs "Singling it Out"

162tcat

Here is an update for anyone who finds this thread via the search function (HA HA HA!) Current NAPA part numbers for the studs are WA1210 (Right) and WA1211 (Left). Nuts are WA2006 (right) and WA2007 (Left)

I just purchased them on NAPA online for my HEMTT rim install.

ke5eua

Here is an update for anyone who finds this thread via the search function (HA HA HA!) Current NAPA part numbers for the studs are WA1210 (Right) and WA1211 (Left). Nuts are WA2006 (right) and WA2007 (Left)

I know this is a year old, but can I use my stock nuts? I just ordered 30 each side and would prefer to use those and not buy new ones.

cx65083

Insted of changing the xcase, I would swap in a 8 or 10 speed trans, it will make driving the truck like night and day, If you do not care about fwd and a front winch find a 8 or 10 sprrd fuller, If you want fwd or a front winch, then find a OLD 8 or 10 speed spicer, this is a narrow trans with a side pto port, looks like the OE that is in there now. I can not find my hard copy info (collected before I became a computer wise) on the spicer, I was going to do the install on me 52 m52
Does anybody have the info on an old 8 or 10 spd Spicer Trans that would keep the 6x6 and PTO? Any help would be greatly appreciated! As far as the other info in this thread... Great stuff and useful. Thanks to all who posted!

ke5eua

Ok I want to post this as I'm out $200+ and I don't want anyone to run into the same issue.

These studs are actually shorter in total length than the stock studs on the 5 ton. Was under the impression it was the it was longer, and because it was a special order item from napa I'm now looking at unloading them somehow.

IMG_1161.jpgIMG_1162.jpg

1943ht

162TCat .... how did these studs work out on you "H" wheel install ..... i have the same set up on my 818 and need to replace my front axle whel studs ... can you provide an update?

K5 ...what was the length on those Napa studs vs the length of the original studs ....

162tcat

I used the part numbers referenced above and they work great for the HEMTT rims on my M54A2. I don't recall the source of those part numbers but it was here or IH8MUD. Are you sure you were sent the right ones? Mine came in 2 plain white boxes, no part numbers so I was a little concerned too until I installed them. I'll get try to snap a pic of mine this afternoon.

162tcat

Here is a pic. The studs were a perfect fit for me. This is on an M54a2 though, things could be slightly different on a 8xx or 9xx series truck.uploadfromtaptalk1407117296786.jpg

ke5eua

What I got is what was referenced in this thread.

Stock stud the knurl will end right at the end of the hub face on the fronts because of the drum assembly. I haven't looked at a rear yet as the front is jacked up right now. Although looking at the parts tm it looks to be about the same if not less because of the spacer, but the tm also calls for a different stud in the rear so I shall see.

Here are pictures.

Orignal Studs:

IMG_1180.jpgIMG_1181.jpg

New ones:

IMG_1172.jpgIMG_1173.jpgIMG_1174.jpgIMG_1183.jpg

My wheel thickness:

IMG_1177.jpgIMG_1176.jpgIMG_1175.jpgIMG_1178.jpg

162tcat

Those are definitely different from mine. I don't have any pics since they are installed now, they looked just like the originals but longer.

162tcat

When I ordered mine I brought in the original stud and the part number from here and told them what I needed. They verified everything and said the part number was corrected for what I needed and I ordered them. No part number on the 2 boxes but the length was perfect. May want to take them back to verify and bring one of the old ones too

goldneagle

What I got is what was referenced in this thread.

Stock stud the knurl will end right at the end of the hub face on the fronts because of the drum assembly. I haven't looked at a rear yet as the front is jacked up right now. Although looking at the parts tm it looks to be about the same if not less because of the spacer, but the tm also calls for a different stud in the rear so I shall see.

Here are pictures.

Orignal Studs:

View attachment 507487View attachment 507488

New ones:

View attachment 507489View attachment 507490View attachment 507491View attachment 507492

My wheel thickness:

View attachment 507495View attachment 507494View attachment 507493View attachment 507496
It might be the thickness of your rims that is the problem. I don't remember my M939 rims being that thick when we upgraded my M923 to 395-20s. FYI mine are the steel rims that come with the M939A1 and A2 trucks.

ke5eua

It might be the thickness of your rims that is the problem. I don't remember my M939 rims being that thick when we upgraded my M923 to 395-20s. FYI mine are the steel rims that come with the M939A1 and A2 trucks.
I do have the aluminum rims but the studs are what is killing me. I'm looking at another option though, but there are two factors involved. One being the 24 dollar price per stud, and two, are 939 studs compatible with the 809 hubs. I know the lug nuts are the same, I'm just concerned about the knurl and head size.

I'm most likely going to take the 6 boxes of studs and one of my orginal ones to a semi shop and see if they can get me what I need and if they would have a need for the 60 studs I have.

ke5eua

My rims are the standard steel "HEMTT" rim. The aluminum rims may be the issue, usually they are thicker.
Yeah there a little over an inch thick. This will be figured out this week, has to, everyday I wait is more flash rust I have to soda blast off the spindle and other little items. The bearings got flash rust from sitting out today, thank god for soda blasting is all I can say.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are the aluminum rims off of?

I had not heard of 5 ton aluminum rims with the right center hole and lug pattern?

Are these mrap wheels from red River with the flat face lug seat?

I recall another member posting about the difference in pilot and hub centered wheels?

ke5eua

What are the aluminum rims off of?

I had not heard of 5 ton aluminum rims with the right center hole and lug pattern?

Are these mrap wheels from red River with the flat face lug seat?

I recall another member posting about the difference in pilot and hub centered wheels?
These are the camian wheels from Texas. They are fmtv wheels and they had steel and aluminum. I got there and decided to go with the aluminum mainly because I didn't want to did for the steel ones.

They are stud centered, have the bevels in the stud holes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks