• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel Studs "Singling it Out"

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are the camian wheels from Texas. They are fmtv wheels and they had steel and aluminum. I got there and decided to go with the aluminum mainly because I didn't want to did for the steel ones.

They are stud centered, have the bevels in the stud holes.
Interesting wheel as I don't think any of those had come out yet. I had spoken to him as I need 3 goodyears and the price sounded reasonable. I did not realize the rims would bolt on a 5 ton.

ke5eua

Interesting wheel as I don't think any of those had come out yet. I had spoken to him as I need 3 goodyears and the price sounded reasonable. I did not realize the rims would bolt on a 5 ton.
Yep, hub slipped right in just couldn't get the nuts to grab. End of the stud was right at the bottom of the bevel.

goldneagle

What about using the thimbles to mount the rims? We did that for the HEMTT rims on the front of M818 trucks. I know Jeff Davis has plenty of them from all the tires they removed when they were scrapping the trucks.

ke5eua

What about using the thimbles to mount the rims? We did that for the HEMTT rims on the front of M818 trucks. I know Jeff Davis has plenty of them from all the tires they removed when they were scrapping the trucks.
I thought about that but I would need to get the buds turned down so the rim would sit flush with the hub. I've read about studs cracking because of the space.

goldneagle

I thought about that but I would need to get the buds turned down so the rim would sit flush with the hub. I've read about studs cracking because of the space.
Are the holes in your rims tapered on both sides? Also check M920's FEMTT thread. He has some info on different thimbles.

1943ht

BLUF: Use Studs With the Proper Length on Your Front Axle!

My purpose in starting this thread was to gain insight regards mounting HEMTT Rims on my 818 and "Singling It Out"! The safety issue that grabbed my attention after the dust settled was the discussion regards use of bud-nuts on the front axle as a way to mount these rims and their tires. Seems that we've come full circle with that discussion.

To each his own and I am in no way attempting to insult anyone's technique or practice regards their preference to mounting this type of rim on their front axle, But I still am firmly convinced that this is a bad idea from a safety standpoint and from what information I have gleaned from talking to folks in the trucking industry. I am no expert, but my "Common Sense Needle" is pegged out against the practice, thus my BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front) comment.

I truly appreciate everyone's input, comments, opinions and suggestions, this type of input is the very thing that makes SS such a valuable exchange/source of thoughts and information.

//Very Respectfully//
COL Koloc

ke5eua

I'm going to go to a couple semi shops and see if I can get a stud that meets the requirement and get part numbers to post.

With these early fmtv mraps going to scrap and the aluminum wheels coming on the market I know I'm not the only one looking at the best solution.

162tcat

I would agree with using the proper length studs and not the budd nuts. I'm sure it has worked fine for some but here is the real question, if stopped and inspected by the DOT would it pass? No. If it caused an accident and your insurance found out that it was a redneck modification, what would they say?

Simple answer is spend the money and get the right parts or leave it stock, you have to pay to play.

162tcat

Watch for Ke5eua to post the correct part number for the aluminum rims. Then it should be added to the "part number" sticky at the top.

1943ht

K5, I'm a Mustang with 33 years of service and I never meet anyone in all those years who didn't get LOST at least once "Back In the Day" while orienteering with a compass, plugger etc. Did several of those courses over the years especially when I was operating at SOF standards ...Its a very perishable skill set. :D

:lost:

ke5eua

K5, I'm a Mustang with 33 years of service and I never meet anyone in all those years who didn't get LOST at least once "Back In the Day" while orienteering with a compass, plugger etc. Did several of those courses over the years especially when I was operating at SOF standards ...Its a very perishable skill set. :D

:lost:
I learned early on to try not to get lost. Had a lt get us lost in the middle of Baghdad while using mts, fbcb2, and us in the gun trucks telling her she is going the wrong direction.

After that incident we did a compass and plgr refresh course.

That's were the part of my signature stems from.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks