• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why are CUCV prices so much higher that Civi Chevs

KansasBobcat

Diesel Blazers seem to be hard to find around here. As has been said military trucks have lower mileage and often less rust. Original military trucks seem to be harder to find. When they were really cheap all kinds of modifications were done. I guess it just depends on where you are and the market.

fitz

One must be careful not to compare asking prices to selling prices.
Here in Mass it seems like the asking price on CUCV's is cheaper than the asking prices on civy models. Maybe its a regional thing.
These are the last 2 CUCV's I bought off Craigslist.
I paid $4800 for the M1028 (was advertised for $5500)
I paid $4000 for the M1009 (was advertised for $4000 firm).
Both are are strong running rust free trucks.
I often see civy models advertised for more $$ (I'm not sure if the owners get the asking price).
That's not to say you can't find a rot box k5 blazer with a 305 motor for cheap money, but owners want big bucks for anything decent.

Attachments

tim292stro

...I see plenty of cucvs for sale with crazy ads about... ...how they are the best thing for the next ice age, or apocalypse
I love the "no EMP sensitive electronics"... What about the glow plug controller and the alternator V-regs? Truck doesn't work too well without those... at least for long or in the cold.

I paid $4K to a member here for a Mississippi M1009 this week for a truck I would call a "base queen" (not likely used off pavement), after missing two trucks here in CA ($5,500 and $6,200). Personally I like that the truck I bought hasn't been cut up badly like the crawlers and mud-runners that are left now from the civi pool - there seems to be more of an incentive to keep it stock for the sake of preservation with the military version, the last thing I want to do is take on someone else's unfinished project with poorly thought-out modifications (that are unserviceable at best, dangerous at worst).

cucvrus

I agree about the not hacking them up. The last 2 CUCV's I sold were basically stock. Unmolested. And both buyers said that is what they were looking for. I sold a member on this site my M1028A1 it was 100% original down to the paint. No modifications at all. It was very rusty and he bought it and stated that because it was not all hacked up and never modified in any way. It is now residing in Connecticut with a new body and paint job and running well. Living the good life after retirement. Thank you corvette9. I also sold my M1009 Green Machine to a company that was looking for one. They called said they were in the movie business. Yea right I thought. They sent a guy the next day to check it out. He started it walked around it and opened the hood. Looked under the dash and under the truck. Sat it it put it in forward gear and reverse and put it back in park. He walked around it again and cranked the rear window down opened and closed the gate and cranked the window back up. He went to the passengers side and did the same opened the door and cranked the window up and down. I watched him turn both hubs in and out and then shut it off and give me the keys. He ask if I had the title I said yes I do. He went back to his car and came back with a check. $7.K. He said someone will be by to pick it up. Told me this is the 5th one he looked at but it is the only one that was not cut up and that is what he wanted. He also said it was not the most expensive one. He ask if I had the original seats and gave me $400. cash for them also. They were nice seats all 3 and I used the original uncut bases to mount the van seats in it. He just wanted them put in the back because he was going to have the entire vehicle painted in the 3 color camouflage as original. That is proof that they hold value if you take care of them and keep up on the maintenance. I don't care about any of the crazy reasons to change everything or the zombie , EMP crap. I just want to keep them going in the purest form I can. I do most things so they can be unbolted and un-rivited and returned to OEM should someone desire them to be that way. Even my Mule is returnable to an M1009 without major work. Thanks for looking. Have a great day.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now Rick, this is not meant to be anything but humor so please don't get upset. I agrees that you leave everything bone stock. Everone here knows that this is what you prefer. Now here is the funny part...........except ambulances. LOL

corvette9

I looked at a few 1008's and one 1028 before I bought my 1028 from cucvrus. At the time there where none going though GL that where close to Ct. Every time I looked at a private owned truck it was cut up. To many mods and high prices. Like Rick said I wanted a bone stock truck. Restoring is no problem in my case so I could deal with one needing work. But once you put lift kits in and hackup wiring all the correct parts are gone.

After doing a restoration on the body of my 1028 I have a very nice great running stock 1028A1. I was willing to pay more for a stock truck. I for one would not pay top dollar for a cut up truck.

I did get a very clean 1008 for my brother out of GP. It came out of Orrstown PA. Rust free 40,000 mile truck. It needed some work but nothing crazy. I wanted a 1028 so I let him have the 1008. We both have very nice trucks now. I have to thank Cucvrus again for being honest and very helpful even after I owned the truck.

Brian G.

cucvrus

You got me on that one. I have hacked every M1010 I ever had. I never had any use for them M1010 and they were ridden with electrical , charging issues and parts were missing and I did cut them to pieces and made good running pick-ups out of them. You got me on that one. I will not deny that. I hacked up many M1009's and several of the M1008,M1028, M1031, along with the 5 - M1010's I converted. I look at as making the M1010 more rare. I helped you guys that like them out. And besides I have a yard full of parts for the M1010. As long as my log splitter, chainsaws and lawn equipment have a home out of the weather they are still in service. Just another assignment. I never crushed the bodies or sold them for scrap. But I do see the humor in your thread Recovery 4x4.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I just came back from the scrap yard. I delivered a bin of scrap wiring harnesses and copper cable. I saw 2 complete M1009's and an M1028 or 08 that were run threw the crusher. They had them sitting there a few weeks and I inquired about them. They said the were not allowed to sell them. They also had 3 - 2005 Ford CVPI and 2 - 2007 Ford CVPI and they ran them thru the crusher also. They were all knee high this morning when I looked thru the fence. I also seen the tank engine and transmission are gone along with the pile of HMMWV's and trailers that they had. Sad but true. Nothing I could do about it. I gave them a moment of silence. And then cussed under by breath. They did have stickers on the one HMMWV that said non emission compliant.

Last edited:

rsh4364

The m1008 are worth it, the m1009? I'd rather buy a civi model and paint it green. I bought my civi blazer with the 6.2, 700r4 and 3.08 gearing for $1600.
I like 1009s because of ease to work on and mpgs,your civy had 3.08 gears and a 700r4 trans which would give you a final gear of 2.31 in od,which would give about 1600 rpms at 65.How did it drive and do on the highway? Im sure not a speed demon but over all where you happy with it?

Last edited:

welpro222

It did very well on the freeway at 65-75. Even on slight hills it maintained speed without down shifting. It was all stock with 31inch tires from the factory. Depending on setup the 700r4 is not worth switching into a vehicle with a th400. At 70 mph my k20 700r4 4.10 with 245 tires get 20mpg on highway and at 60 mph my m1008 with 3.73, th400, 33inch tires, and 4inch lift gets 17-18 on high way. Of course with a 700r4, you can cruise at higher speeds at a lower rpm.

2deuce

I belong to the military vehicles collectors club of oregon, MVCCO, and I would say most of the club members don't know what a CUCV is. I don't attend many functions, but looking at the attendees and their vehicles, I have yet to see one in attendance in the newsletter. I took a M1009 to a campout a couple of weeks ago, I was the only CUCV. The leader/organizer of the campout didn't know what a CUCV was when I told him what i was bringing. I have an airforce M1009 as my daily driver. It is a very nice rust free example. Here in oregon you can't pump your own gas, it must be done by an attendant. When I pull up to the pumps, especially when the diesel is separate from the gas pumps I get motioned to pull forward farther to the gas pump. Then asked, "This is Diesel"? recently an attendant wanted to question me again and look puzzled when I said this is diesel. I don't think there were many civy diesel blazers made and if there were a few there aren't any left around here. You can pump your own diesel if your paying with a card, but it is so common to have them come up and try to put gas in the tank. Does anyone know what the cost of the option was for the 6.2 if you ordered it in a pickup or blazer?

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks