• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why are CUCV prices so much higher that Civi Chevs

2deuce

I have heard about Detroit Diesel designing the 6.2. It was part of the GM family, but I don't find myself easily convinced when GM is involved. Do you think they would scam you for a buck? NO not GM! My Dad bought a 1984 Cadillac new with the newly designed 350 Diesel, totally reworked they said, no more problems they said. That engine ran good until the head bolts popped. That said, when your ready to sell your M1009 tell the prospective buyer the engine was designed by Detroit Diesel, that is a good selling point. The problem I have with that is, what is Detroit Diesel known for besides the 2 stroke? and our CUCV's now come with a Detroit...........locker. Just don't say it is under the hood. And while the M1009 came with a gov loc it very well could have been designed by Detroit, or in Detroit at least.

Not to ruffle any feathers, because most of you know so much more that I do about the CUCV. I love my M1009, but I think saying anything about Detroit is misleading, even if it were true.

welpro222

Regardless, we or most of us still love and drive our 6.2 diesels until they die and then, rebuild or install another. Some that have more play money will install a cummins, but for most of us on a budget we are happy to replace those parts that are fairly cheap on our 6.2 diesels.

reaper556

I have heard about Detroit Diesel designing the 6.2. It was part of the GM family, but I don't find myself easily convinced when GM is involved. Do you think they would scam you for a buck? NO not GM! My Dad bought a 1984 Cadillac new with the newly designed 350 Diesel, totally reworked they said, no more problems they said. That engine ran good until the head bolts popped. That said, when your ready to sell your M1009 tell the prospective buyer the engine was designed by Detroit Diesel, that is a good selling point. The problem I have with that is, what is Detroit Diesel known for besides the 2 stroke? and our CUCV's now come with a Detroit...........locker. Just don't say it is under the hood. And while the M1009 came with a gov loc it very well could have been designed by Detroit, or in Detroit at least.

Not to ruffle any feathers, because most of you know so much more that I do about the CUCV. I love my M1009, but I think saying anything about Detroit is misleading, even if it were true.
Detroit is well known for the 4 stroke series 60 which is probably under the hood of more class 8 tractors than Cummins and Cat combined

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is what it is. There is plenty of documentation to confirm it. I don't think it is a selling point but if someone asks the history of the 6.2, why lie to them? I just don't see the truth as misleading.

Drunkle Scuzzy

I paid $3,750 for my M1010 with 13,000 miles on the odometer in Grants Pass Oregon. So far I have't found any rust, and the mechanics who have worked on it believe the odometer reading may be accurate based on the condition of the truck. It sat for a couple of years and needed a fair amount of work. All the mechanical and electrical issues should be fixed this week. I have seen other M1010's for sale for as much as $10,000 and there is currently one for sale on ebay asking $8,750 and many M1009s asking anywhere from $3,500 to $13,500 on ebay, which tends to have inflated prices. I wonder if how rare these trucks are (especially seems like the M1010 is hard to find) , along with their historical signifigance as military vehicles has raised the value?

All said and done I have nearly $10,000 into my M1010 including purchase price and recovery and I have a mechanically sound 31 year old truck with exceptionally low miles. I feel better about buying the cheaper truck that needed some work and having a local mechanic fix it for me than paying the same price for a truck that someone else says is in the same condition, but with no guarantees on parts and labor. I have learned a lot in the process and now have a truck nicer than any used civilian squarebody I've driven. There are a couple civilian K30's available for a similar price right now, although they have more complex smog and electrical systems, aftermarket lift kits, and none of them have the ambulance body I like for my up coming camper build.

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe those that like the m100x series should buy and drive those and those that like civi vehicles should buy and drive those.

Makes sense to me?

Anyone with a 30 year old vehicle should also probably have a spare vehicle also if at all possible :)

What else would you do in your spare time?

Love my wheel chock

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441155427.269745.jpg

Last edited:

MDdeuce

I don’t understand the high prices CUCVs seem to pull. In my area they tend to go for $4500-$7500 for ok shape (running with dings, dents, rust). It seems to me that you are basically buying a 30yr old GM pickup truck with:

-green paint
-brush guard
-24v electric system
-heavy duty power train
-diesel engine
-4x4
-no radio
-no A/C

I think that should be worth <$2500. But then again I’m also cheap. I’m not overly fond of them either, I drove a M1008 pretty regularly between bases as a run around truck and found them to be loud and slow, sounds like the engine is powered by marbles getting bashed around. I also got pulled over several times for running without plates, state trooper got more upset when I didn’t have registration or insurance! I said it was a tactical military vehicle, he said it was a green pickup truck; took lots of explaining and multiple military IDs to get underway again. Took a few occurrences for the motorpool to issue me govy plates for it.

welpro222

I agree with them being over priced. I only paid $2200 for mine and would have not bought it, if it was priced was more then that. A combination of them being ex army, harder to find as the years go by, and what some people are willing to pay for them keeps the prices up. Makes it even worse when some people just buy them to scrap it and steal the axle for another project.

Either way you look at it, all 30year old trucks are getting harder to find.

Last edited:

KansasBobcat

I paid $3,750 for my M1010 with 13,000 miles on the odometer in Grants Pass Oregon. So far I have't found any rust, and the mechanics who have worked on it believe the odometer reading may be accurate based on the condition of the truck. It sat for a couple of years and needed a fair amount of work. All the mechanical and electrical issues should be fixed this week. I have seen other M1010's for sale for as much as $10,000 and there is currently one for sale on ebay asking $8,750 and many M1009s asking anywhere from $3,500 to $13,500 on ebay, which tends to have inflated prices. I wonder if how rare these trucks are (especially seems like the M1010 is hard to find) , along with their historical signifigance as military vehicles has raised the value?

All said and done I have nearly $10,000 into my M1010 including purchase price and recovery and I have a mechanically sound 31 year old truck with exceptionally low miles. I feel better about buying the cheaper truck that needed some work and having a local mechanic fix it for me than paying the same price for a truck that someone else says is in the same condition, but with no guarantees on parts and labor. I have learned a lot in the process and now have a truck nicer than any used civilian squarebody I've driven. There are a couple civilian K30's available for a similar price right now, although they have more complex smog and electrical systems, aftermarket lift kits, and none of them have the ambulance body I like for my up coming camper build.
Thank you for posting cost of fixing one of these correctly. This should be helpful for new guys looking to buy one. As always you spend it up front or later hence the current asking prices.

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with them being over priced. I only paid $2200 for mine and would have not bought it, if it was priced was more then that. A combination of them being ex army, harder to find as the years go by, and what some people are willing to pay for them keeps the prices up. Makes it even worse when some people just buy them to scrap it and steal the axle for another project.

Either way you look at it, all 30year old trucks are getting harder to find.
Every year there are less, the price will go up.
When i know i cant live without comfort, i dont buy an CUCV.
In my opinion the reason for high prices, its hard to find an original or nearly original CUCV.
If everything is changed (chassis, A/C, power windows or whatever) it is just no longer original. Maybe its a good truck, but no CUCV.
Just my two cents

Last edited:

welpro222

In my opinion the reason for high prices, its hard to find an original or nearly original CUCV
I must say it seems like most everyone modifies their CUCV in some ways (lift, bigger tires, 12v conversion, cd player, gear changing, ETC).

cucvrus

Exactly German M1008. That is what people tell me when I sell them my CUCV vehicles. No matter what shape they are in they are not hacked up. That is why a buyer just paid $7K for one my M1009's. I see hacked up vehicles everyday not just CUCV's . Many go straight to the shredder/crusher. Not sure of the thought process on some of the things I see. Radios installed and after market air cleaners hacked and bolted fast.If it is not what you want get what you want. Don't try to turn a sows ear into a silk purse. It don't work. You still end up with a butchered up pig. Keep it simple and functional.
Just my 2 Deutsch Marks.

Drunkle Scuzzy

I have to admit that it can be done for less, I have been using a really good mechanic, and he is not the cheapest. If you live in a less expensive part of the country it can help with the cost, I am in San Francisco. I had a less expensive mechanic install the rear axle seal incorrectly and it ruined my new brakes on the passenger side... made his low cost not worth it. I wish I were a mechanic and had a shop to work on it myself. But I know that my Fiance and I will be safe and sound on our cross country road trip and that is worth all the money in the world.

I remember reading somewhere the numbers of each type of CUCV that were made and the numbers released to the public. For the life of me I can't find it today. I searched through so many pages yesterday trying to find it for this post. All I found was approximately 70,000 CUCV manufactured, 23,000 of which were M1009 (if I remember correctly that is more than three times the numbers of Civilian diesel Blazers ). Anyone else know these numbers? I am particularly interested in how many M1010 were made vs sold to the public. Thanks

Thank you for posting cost of fixing one of these correctly. This should be helpful for new guys looking to buy one. As always you spend it up front or later hence the current asking prices.

Last edited:

MAZ537

I have to admit that it can be done for less, I have been using a really good mechanic, and he is not the cheapest. If you live in a less expensive part of the country it can help with the cost, I am in San Francisco. I had a less expensive mechanic install the rear axle seal incorrectly and it ruined my new brakes on the passenger side... made his low cost not worth it. I wish I were a mechanic and had a shop to work on it myself. But I know that my Fiance and I will be safe and sound on our cross country road trip and that is worth all the money in the world.

I remember reading somewhere the numbers of each type of CUCV that were made and the numbers released to the public. For the life of me I can't find it today. I searched through so many pages yesterday trying to find it for this post. All I found was approximately 70,000 CUCV manufactured, 23,000 of which were M1009 (if I remember correctly that is more than three times the numbers of Civilian diesel Blazers ). Anyone else know these numbers? I am particularly interested in how many M1010 were made vs sold to the public. Thanks
I found this :
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?46692-Total-production-numbers

KansasBobcat

I looked at 5 M1009s before buying. There were pop riveted rust repairs on floor boards, Rhino lining, after market wheels, missing interior door panels, no spare or jack, rusted out fenders, modified wiring... it goes on and on. Most were in 4500.00 to 6000.00 range. It is easy to spend another few thousand on tires, paint, fluids, shocks, door and window seals, seat covers, seat belts etc ; these are afterall 30+ year old trucks that have been outside most of the time!

sandcobra164

Original trucks are still out there. I bought this one about 5 years ago. It's original down the the Firestone Tires it rolled off the line on 30 years ago but they'll be replaced soon. It had 2,164 miles on it when purchased and had spent most of it's life in a de-humidified cave in Norway.

Attachments

2deuce

I have an original M1028 with 16k on it I will be selling soon. It does have aftermarket wheels because the Park service I got it from used it offroad. When I buy one of these the seat is one of the best indicators if not the best of how many miles that are on it. They don't make that vinyl any more. The brake pedal is easily changed and so is the odometer. Another indicator is the grille, I have found none intact if the odometer has rolled over or even over 40k for that matter. That is one sweet CUCV you have there sandcobra! The only problem with having one that nice is I'd be afraid to drive it.

Going back to the Detroit issue, I have toyed with the idea of putting a 2 stroke under the hood. I love that sound! If one of the 6.2's blows up maybe it will happen. It's just that I have a problem with 6.2 reliability and I can't make myself pull a good running motor!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks