• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will a "C" turbo work on an LDS 465 1A engine?

fabiodriven

So the answer is, yes, the C turbo does work on the LDS 465 1A engine. Just finished my install an now I have a glorious deuce whistle! :driver: I have not noticed any loss in performance or boost (I have a boost gauge). I dunno how you guys do it with those quiet turbos and mufflers and what-not!:mrgreen:

rat4spd

:confused: I'm confused- So do like the whistle or not? I like the whistle myself.
The whistle is cool and all. It's neat, but it's loud. I work 2nd shift, so If I drive the deuce to work for whatever reason, I have to stop at a nearby gas station to let the turbo cool down, then creep home as slow as I can, and try to get it off before the thing wakes the neighborhood up.

But yes, I would not get rid of it, just to get a "D."

SasquatchSanta

I've wondered if having a muffler quiets the sound of the whistle. I tend to think it doesn't but don't know for sure.

When I ordered the duals for Rosie I ordered mufflers. Sometimes I think about getting a couple of straight pipes and replacing the mufflers just to see what she would sould like opened up.

Back before the duals and mufflers were installed, when there was a single straight pipe Rosie could yodel. Sometimes I miss that.

rat4spd

So you guys are saying you lucked out and have 180hp motors in your deuce?

That has to run really nicely.
I'm saying I have an LDS465-1A and IP. What the IP is set at I don't know. I have no basis for comparison as I never driven another duece.

I can tell you that it'll do 55-60 MPH with plenty of throttle to spare, and I usually dont slow down on hills all that much. I haven't had it on any steep grades to know more than that.

SO I don't know how much HP, but it does have the potential for an easy 180hp if it's not already set at that.

SasquatchSanta

Since I installed an LDS in my bobbed deuce I've turned down the main fuel settng and droop screw setting twice. Depending on my next mileage test result I may turn the droop screw down a little more. For the way I use the truck (it's hobby horse) I've got power to spare.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I installed a muffler on a C turbo motor, it did quiet the whistle down. Not as piecing, but you can still hear it. If your standing next to it, it sounds like your 50 ft away quieter.

Motor now has a D turbo, with muffler, and is really quiet, for a deuce. Much quieter than other trucks I've heard.

Dennis

fabiodriven

So you guys are saying you lucked out and have 180hp motors in your deuce?

That has to run really nicely.
I can't beleive the power my truck has. No issues with pulling out into traffic, always power on tap. I had never driven a deuce before mine, so I don't have anything to compare it to. All I drove in the military was 818's and 931's.

I had Saquishmike take mine for a ride and he said it's got balls of steel.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
The LDS-465-1 w/2 hole nozzles(fuel) spec. is 9-10psi at 2400rpm and 4-5psi at 1600rpm(page 34 LDS troubleshooting manual in resources). An engine can be off spec. Put a boost gauge on yours to see how it compares. Can anyone provide the psi specs for the LDT's at 134hp??. My LD-465 got the D turbo [added] and made an est.16 psi (was off the dial at 15) at 2600rpm w/high EGT's under high load. I turned down the IP over 2 turns. Now it's set at 12psi at 2500rpm (or 13psi at 2600rpm which I avoid). It has seen a hard life and has been very reliable. There was a substantial power increase, and smoke reduction. The early style multi-fuel head gaskets had problems. Mine were replaced by bazzokajoe just before it came into my possession.

Engine designers often make housing(s), A/R ratio, nozzle area(turbo), impeller size and shape changes. These can make direct comparisons between a waste gated LDS and a LDS with a LDT D or C turbo difficult. If they did made some internal changes (I do not know but assume they did) the waste gated turbo can make more boost at lower rpm and/or make boost at higher compressor efficiencies (lower air charge temps). The former will make it spool up faster and have a wider power band. The latter will make more peak power , and lower EGT.

The whistle is probably the blade tips, or vortices' coming off them, exceeding the speed of sound.

Last edited:

SasquatchSanta

When I installed a muffler on a C turbo motor, it did quiet the whistle down. Not as piecing, but you can still hear it. If your standing next to it, it sounds like your 50 ft away quieter.

Motor now has a D turbo, with muffler, and is really quiet, for a deuce. Much quieter than other trucks I've heard.

Dennis
Thanks for the info Dennis. I have a feeling it won't be long before Rosie has a couple of straight pipes.

fabiodriven

Not to hijack this thread, what are my chances of picking up a c setup? I might be coming into a d truck, and want to whistle while I work.:wink:
Your chances are good as long as you have a couple hundred bucks. I got my whistler from Boyce Equipment. They shipped me out a good used take-off. Top-notch people to work with. Now I gots me a whistler!

jesusgatos

Is it true that the D-series turbos make a little more power than the C-series turbos? If so, I've got a C-series whistler in good shape that I'd be willing to trade. I've already put a muffler on mah deuce, but I'd like to make it even a little more civilized/quite/comfortable.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I switched from a C to a D recently. There is more power, but you have to turn the fuel up to match the turbo change.

C turbo was set to 1100 deg. max. When the D was installed, pyro read 1000 max, little cranking on the fuel had it back to 1100. It is quieter, and some more power than before.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks