• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Deuce on GL for $1100

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I placed a low bid on a Deuce at Little Rock AFB today and won it for $1120, are they down that much or were they scared off by the suspension damage? It is worth more that that for scrap!!
Now how do or do I need to fix the suspension damage to drive it 70 miles home?

Attachments

Last edited:

hwcurtice

That is one rough looking Deuce. :shock:

But at least the tires hold air!

Looks like someone pushed something off. I wouldn't drive it very far. Maybe to a lowboy to transport, unless you can fix what's broken.

Did they say what else was wrong with it?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could also remove the rearmost drive shaft and chain up the rear axle to get it home.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't drive it the way it is, that is for certain. Ive done a couple this way if you care to try. using prybars, jacks, come-a-longs or whatever you can, get the axle back in place where you can slide the bone back on. Usually you can't slide it or hammer it on as the rubber absorbs the shock. You will need to press it back on. I've used a high lift jack quite effectively in the field. Actually did this at the second FL Rally. My tool of choice now is a porta power. It is quite useful for the task of putting them back together. Once together you will need to a means to keep it there. The preferred method would be to weld a bolt across the dogbone welding to the stud in the center. I have also had good sucess with wrapping a couple of ratchet straps around it. Drove 200 mile like that before. As a person that has driven one (off road) with a bone off, I wouldn't even think of hitting the road with it. Judging from the pics the bone would be on the drivers side fwd rear axle.

Last edited:

kennys@wi.rr.com

I have driven a few POS trucks, but I would never attempt to go very far with the dog bone off like that. Recovry has it right, get it fixed and weld a bolt or piece of flat stock on the back of the pin. Many guys have done that with a lot of success. Just to risky to have that axle move out of place.

Ridgerunner

Just swap out the broken dogbone with a good one. They can't even be much money any more. Because everyone that bobs a Deuce, ends up with six of them on their scrap pile of left over parts, after the conversion.

If you need one, I have plenty.

davey8943

RidgeRunner,

New parts will cost you about a C note each.... :shock:

BUT, they aren't made with rubber bushings, these have ball joints in them. Quite a bit of an upgrade if you have some extra cash laying around.

I am sure used ones are around, the classifieds are your friend!

I can't wait for the recovery thread... :)

Dave

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks