• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Deuce on GL for $1100

x-ray

Wow! That truck was a bargain! The winch parts alone are worth more than you paid.

Thee are some good deals to be had on occasion on GL, I won a M109A3 at Ft Drum, NY for $820. THought I was getting it for parts, turns out, it runs! SO I had to get it road worthy. Afew hundred in parts and the usual items and paint and it looks good. You will be proud of your new truck when she gets fixed and on the road. Good luck & enjoy.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heading down to Little Rock Air Force Base this morning to have a look/repair the deuce I won down there. Thought I would top off all the fluids, air up the tires after I get her started and do a field repair on the dog bone for a drive home early next week.

Attachments

ARYankee

I'd offer a a hand as well but I'm working today :( Although if you need to stash it somewhere temporary, you can do so at my place. We could use your tow bar and my deuce to flat tow it to my house.

abh3

RANT WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS RANTING THAT MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR SELF ESTEEM!! :x

I've bought 10-12 m35s and plenty of other govt. vehicles of all sorts over the years and trailered EVERY ONE of them because their condition for safe operation on the public roads cannot be verified in the field. ANYONE who drives ANY of these trucks off base after a good tire kicking is an idiot, a danger to this hobby and a real threat to themselves and the general public. You DO NOT KNOW what might fail on the trip home and it's the height of selfish bugger-eatin' moronism to say "Well, ain't nuthin' happened before, hyuk, hyuk!", this 'just wire up that dogbone, add some fluid to the master-cylinder, make sure the e-brake works and it'll be alright' is BS; these aren't used Toyotas from the auction with redundant safety features, 12,000 lbs less weight and bumpers that don't fit nicely THROUGH the windows of most other vehicles on the road, including the one my kids are in...

Then there is the liability (I'd like to keep what I own) angle to this, maybe you don't own s^%t so you figure you're judgement proof like these fools around here with 5,000lbs of junk on a 1/2 ton pickup gently swaying from side to side all the way to scrappy's place on a suspended license and lapsed insurance. Not owning crap and not giving a **** is still no excuse to put others at risk.

WISE UP, all it takes is one tragedy and all these wonderful tan and green machines will be 'off-road only' or will go the way of the M151, there is your precedent. It's not funny, it's not 'an adventure' and there are plenty of folks that would like to see these vehicles out of civvy hands altogether, will YOU be the f@#%ing fool that gives them the ammunition to make it so!?

Ahhhh, I feel better now the caffeine is beginning to work... Have a blessed day! :D

AceHigh

Good for you. I give the members here a little more credit than giving it a good tire kicking. If you are more comfortable having it brought to you, great.

I have bought 3, had one trucked in, drove two. I would never kick the tires and drive off. Doubt there are any here that would. Up to the owner, condition of truck, distance and so on.

hwcurtice

I think ABH3 needs to tell us all how he really feels...

Although, I do agree. I would at least, drive it around the lot for a bit to test a few things before hitting the road. Maybe thats one good thing about buying from someone that has already taken one home and done a little 'fix 'em up' on a truck?

combat32

RANT WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS RANTING THAT MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR SELF ESTEEM!! :x

I've bought 10-12 m35s and plenty of other govt. vehicles of all sorts over the years and trailered EVERY ONE of them because their condition for safe operation on the public roads cannot be verified in the field. ANYONE who drives ANY of these trucks off base after a good tire kicking is an idiot, a danger to this hobby and a real threat to themselves and the general public. You DO NOT KNOW what might fail on the trip home and it's the height of selfish bugger-eatin' moronism to say "Well, ain't nuthin' happened before, hyuk, hyuk!", this 'just wire up that dogbone, add some fluid to the master-cylinder, make sure the e-brake works and it'll be alright' is BS; these aren't used Toyotas from the auction with redundant safety features, 12,000 lbs less weight and bumpers that don't fit nicely THROUGH the windows of most other vehicles on the road, including the one my kids are in...

Then there is the liability (I'd like to keep what I own) angle to this, maybe you don't own s^%t so you figure you're judgement proof like these fools around here with 5,000lbs of junk on a 1/2 ton pickup gently swaying from side to side all the way to scrappy's place on a suspended license and lapsed insurance. Not owning crap and not giving a **** is still no excuse to put others at risk.

WISE UP, all it takes is one tragedy and all these wonderful tan and green machines will be 'off-road only' or will go the way of the M151, there is your precedent. It's not funny, it's not 'an adventure' and there are plenty of folks that would like to see these vehicles out of civvy hands altogether, will YOU be the f@#%ing fool that gives them the ammunition to make it so!?

Ahhhh, I feel better now the caffeine is beginning to work... Have a blessed day! :D
Not all of us are boobs! I actually drove military vehicles for 21 years, not just type about it on the internet.

James if you need anything for the recovery let me know.

ARYankee

Wow!! I agree with combst32! I would say that this post would be well suited in a thread from a newbie that just bought one and has no clue but here..... Not so so much. Rumple is an outstanding person and is quite well aware of what he is doing.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter

This is kind of the same feeling I have. I trailer all my trucks home. It's not just a safety issue to me but I also would rather PM a truck in the comfort of my shop than on a GL lot with the GL guy standing over me trying to hurry me up.

I do know a lot of members do drive them home and I try not to pass judgement though. Just be safe whatever you do.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All:
Thanks for the offers of help and the rant? I aborted the mission yesterday about two and a half hours into the trip when I was held up by a traffic accident on I-40. Not enough time to kick the tires for my taste before driving it the back roads home! I plan on getting there early Wednesday to see if it is road worthy and repair the suspension issue, the hour drive to the cabin will be more enjoyable with the temp in the 80's anyway, once again thanks for all the support.
James

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made it to the GL compound on the Little Rock Air Force Base today. Spent about four hours prepping the truck. Oil was about an inch high on the stick after warm up but ten gallons of fresh diesel and a half gallon of out board motor oil and two new batteries and she cranked right up. It poured rain all but the last 30 minutes I was there, luckily there was some cover available so the tires are aired up and it took about an hour to square up the axle and tap the dogbone back on its stud and secure it. The one thing I was not prepared for was NO BRAKES!!!!!!!!!! So it looks like a trip down Sat. to bleed the brakes, it looks like the master cylinder may have a slow leak with the caked red dust that encases it? If all else fails the 818 will be doing some tow baring as a last resort!
Without a doubt Sherman Coop the GL guy in Little Rock - Pine Bluff - Fort Smith is the best GL rep I have ever dealt with knowledgeably and willing to go the extra mile to help!

Attachments

ARYankee

I agree with you about Sherman!!! He is awesome and very helpful. If you need some help Saturday let me know and I'll give you a hand.

abh3

@ acehigh: I don't have them 'brought to me', I haul with either a 12 ton gooseneck equipment trailer w/ electric winch or lowboy rig w/ big hydraulic winch, all safe and legal.

Third trip, four hours prep and still not off base? Next trip to deal with failed brakes by bleeding the system w/ a leaking master cylinder? On the trip home will you stop every so often to add fluid or wait until the brakes get soft?

Let's see, with compromised suspension links and failed brakes this 16,000lb vehicle needs to be on the public roads? If it were inspected it would have an out of service sticker slapped on it and a handful of tickets to boot, if you drove it after that without REPAIR it'd be SHTF time...

It's clear rumplecat has been around, he even has a 5-ton to pull this truck with yet seems determined to drive it home. I hope he never has to explain that decision in a courtroom.

The problem with this 'I know what I'm doing...' attitude is: 1) it inspires newbs to do stupid things and 2) it tempts Fate in the extreme and sometimes she's a very quick bitch on her feet.

ARYankee

People are going to do what people are going to do, whether it is right or wrong. The only person that has control over that is the individual themselves. I really don't think he or anyone else is promoting to tempt fate or anything else. He is just telling what is occurring during his recovery. I think it is worthwhile information.

Anyways... component failures can happen anytime at any moment on any condition vehicle.

combat32

Looks like you about got her whipped James, BDAR does work! Let me know if I can be of any help,obviously the safest thing to do would be to encase this truck in concrete and leave it in place so it can't hurt anyone:deadhorse:

Last edited:

Welder Sam

According to some u would be right Tom. Makes me wonder if i want to post abt mine. So many act as though their way is the best.

Maybe those folks should read the thread about stepping away from the computer before posting.

WHAT HAPPENED TO CIVILITY AND RESPECT?:deadhorse::deadhorse:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks