• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch shear pins-- Cheapest??

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you really want the cheapest with something like a shear pin? I prefer to spend a reasonable amount of $ on things like parachutes, fire extinigishers, birth control, fuses, and shear pins. No need to skimp when paying for items like these..

Sometimes cheap costs alot in the end,,,,,

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you really want the cheapest with something like a shear pin? I prefer to spend a reasonable amount of $ on things like parachutes, fire extinigishers, birth control, fuses, and shear pins. No need to skimp when paying for items like these..

There's a joke in that comment, somewhere. Just give me a few minutes...

Shoprat 19th Engr

go to the local hardware store and get the cheapested 1/4 inch bolts and that should do the trick bolts are just a little harder than the shear pins but a whole lot cheaper just remember to take along a shear pin for the correct length

Heavysteven

I would think long and hard of what could happen if you just through a bolt in there.

Why not buy a scatch block and stop to keep from breaking pins.

I hate to think what would have happened to my winch if it hadn't had the mil-spec aluminum shear pin last time I broke it.

A $5 pin to keep from ruining a $1K winch? No brainer.

LC

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's been a while since I bought any, but White Owl had replacement pins for $3.50 each. They came with the little cotter pins as well.

I too subscribe to the analysis of materials made by Gringeltaube. Especially if strength of the "fuse" is an issue. Otherwise the availability and price is the main issue.

Rick

Speedwoble

My deuce came with the pin sheared. I replaced it with a "roll pin" also sometimes called a "spring pin" They are steel, but hollow. Have not checked the torgue to shear it compared to the aluminum.

Ridgerunner

Even if you spend big money on a shear pin, how do you know your getting the proper grade number of aluminum for your "fuse". I've never seen a shear pin come with an attached, material certifiction number. I see them advertised and sold as "M35A2 Aluminum winch sheer pins"

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
go to the local hardware store and get the cheapested 1/4 inch bolts and that should do the trick bolts are just a little harder than the shear pins but a whole lot cheaper just remember to take along a shear pin for the correct length
The 1/4 size is a touch small, EVERY TIME you use the winch, you are wallowing out the holes causing more and more slop, not only will this cause more BOLT breakage but PREVENT the use of the CORRECT PIN

gunner_bear

cheapest oem pins

I was looking for the cheapest oem pins. If it was a matter of money only i would have used a bolt:x Just ordered some from saturn surplus

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the pins you get are MIL SPEC in the packaging, thats a good indication. I found dozens of them at Gilbert, new in the military packaging, with NSN...A quick google search told me what they were and the application, and that was good enough for me. I bought them all for $2 each. I now have a lifetime suppply.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My deuce came with the pin sheared. I replaced it with a "roll pin" also sometimes called a "spring pin" They are steel, but hollow. Have not checked the torgue to shear it compared to the aluminum.
A ROLL PIN, WILL NOT SHERE like a shear pin, It will crack, break, deform, but not shear (unless under a HIGH shock load), a roll pin will KILL a winch and the protected connection.

It never ceases to amaze me, people will be as CHEAP as thay can be to protect something that cost a bunch, the more the protected item is, the cheaper thay are.

The shear pin is not only there to protect the winch, but the drive shaft, the pto, the trans, the item on the OTHER end of the winch, the cable, and also the PEOPLE in the area. So think about all this BEFORE you try to be cheap, so you NEVER have to say "sorry that happened, I was just trying to be CHEAP"

I'm 66, I have been in the heavy equipment, crane industry for about 50 years, I have seem stuff you would not believe could happen take place because of wrong part, cheap, "this will work", remember cheap, ect. is a known KILLER, laugh all you want, hope truth NEVER shows up on your door step

MY RANT for the morning

Barneyszoo

I have a mil speck pin in my 813 and when pulling a deuce out of the mud i broke the pto shaft instead of the pin????? So i don't know what the toque specks are on the pins.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks