• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WisDOT renews efforts on TRANS-123

undysworld

Catman,

I can't say "thanks" enough. It's a great step to get the support of your crowd.

United we stand!

Jim,

Interestingly, during the past 3 yr fight, I met Curt Rymkus, one of the guys who worked to craft Trans-305. You're right, they worked **** hard to get those regulations passed, and it was the apparent opinion of WisDOT at that time, that those laws were sufficient.

Although milveh collectors do not have the infrastructure the hot-rodders (etc.) have, I think we're drawing some similarities which count. Having some milves now registered as collectors (as per SB-392 or Act 225) helps, because now we're all under the same plate type. We're doing our best to spread the word. If we can get the hot-rodders to stand behind us, that would be a huge help.

By my way of thinking, if you drive ANY vehicle 20 or more years old, or with ANY military heritage, you're driving a "collector" vehicle. We're all members of the same family, but with different colored rides. We should all stand together.

BTW, I've been receiving some very encouraging emails. This fight is not over by a long shot!!

fat lady sings - NOT!

Tanner

The SCCA guys won't be affected unless they try to title the vehicles for road use - cars used in competition (i.e., racing) don't generally get titled. IIRC, cars brought in for exhibition or racing are not affected by the importation rules; I could be wrong, but I'd have to look over the EPA/DOT rules again - it's been a few years.

Undy - how does this proposed ruling affect state's reciprocity rules for legally titled vehicles bought/brought in from other states? Maybe I've missed something in all of the legal mumbo-jumbo...

Whatever 'boil' is festering in WisDOT needs to be lanced...

Keep up the good fight gentlemen!

'Tanner'

undysworld

Tanner,

Correct, race cars are not generally titled. Although I've seen a few domestic civilian cars which were raced, and then returned to the road. You're right that race cars are brought in to the US as off-highway vehicles, not as Motor Vehicles.

Federal law requires that any "motor vehicle" (designed for highway use, essentially), must meet FMVSS, with few exceptions. This rule applies to all imports. If the mfgr. originally marketed the vehicle in a foreign country, the vehicle has no FMVSS sticker and must be imported via a Registered Importer and modified to meet FMVSS. However, motor vehicles imported over 25 yrs. old are exempted from FMVSS requirements. MVs over 21 (IIRC) years old are exempted from DOT requirements.

One of the claims our DOT makes is that they are concerned about "foreign race cars" being imported as off-highway vehicles, then somehow getting a title in a US state, and then coming to Wisconsin, where they feel the need to protect us from this unlikely occurrence. :roll:

To my knowledge, the reciprocity rules still allow out-of-state drivers to drive any licensed vehicles on Wis. roadways. (I'm not sure how LEOs would deal with a licensed mini-truck in Wisconsin - they were originally only imported into the US as off-highway trucks. But that status was under review, last time I read about it.) But reciprocity does not effect whether WisDOT would issue title for those vehicles.

The "festering boil" has a name. Paul Nilsen of WisDOT. While he may not have started it, and it likely involves our DOT secretary, Frank Busalacchi, Atty. Nilsen seems to have taken up this fight as some personal vendetta. At least that was the opinion of my Senator's office. I've tried to avoid turning this into some personal issue, but at this point, I'm going to call a turd a turd. This guy has no place in public service.

vtwinpilot

This just never end's.....heard some feedback coming from someone who went to the Iola Mil show that lawsuits were pending........second hand info would like to know more. Ironic that taxpayer's would have to use their own funds for a legal fight to protect their property against an entity funded via their own tax money........A complete audit would be nice.......check out this article may prove interesting. Also go to the main page and scroll down for other articles of interest Driving along the back roads, trespassing with the DOT

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

Hopefully the lawsuit rumors are true. Maybe some of you guys in Wisconsin can write letters to the papers, tv news, etc that are covering the tresspassing issue and tell them about the issues MV owners are having. Reporters and writers love it when there's more to a story. More reports and more ratings!

undysworld

I spoke with Sen. Erpenbach and Assy. Rep. Pope-Roberts offices yesterday. They reconfirmed the August 31 deadline for convincing the Transportation Committees of the need for a Public Hearing on this.

Vtwin,

Interesting article. There have been several similar cases over the past few years of WisDOT abusing their authority ("Sam Troha" comes to mind Real Debate Wisconsin: Connecting the dots to Jambois and Troha. Google it.). Curiously, the same DOT attorney, Paul Nilsen, was at the heart of the Troha scandal and the ex-military vehicle legislation. He seems to be their chief turd-stirrer. It seems to be one more example of Wis. government run amok.

I haven't heard anything about lawsuits. Like you, I'd like to hear more.

Last edited:

Atomic

Funny that the Feds are suing a "border" state for taking proactive measures in cutailing a true threat to our nation. Seems Wis is doing the same thing, ie, taking the fed law and expanding it but the feds don't seem to care in this issue. Good luck with the fight and I will be forwarding this thread to a sport car form for Ford racing.

undysworld

Thanks for passing this on. Remember, it won't effect cars originally sold in the U.S. But it will effect Ford cars which were originally sold in foreign countries. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but IIRC, the Ford Cortina was one of these.

This is not a military vehicle issue. It is a Collector Vehicle issue.

I've posted on this forum, because the problem (and Trans-123) originated from WisDOT's apparent dislike of military vehicles. Now that DOT got laws passed restricting milvehs, it's spread to civilian models too. Apparently, we all need to be standing united in our opposition to Trans-123.

jaxsof

WOW, I guess there is something in the water of that creek that Milwaukee sits on. Makes people vote for people who cut class during High School geography:shock:

vtwinpilot

Good info brought to light I forgot about that gambling fiasco. I will be out of commision for few days and only briefly checking in here. Could someone forward these WI DOT threads to both richard moore & greg walker at the lakeland times. This is the only media in the state I know of that has the gut's to slug it out with these out of control mandater's......Also give them that link to the troho tie in. I am sure they will run with it especially since it's more stealth & deception. The Lakeland Times

undysworld

VTwin,

I wrote to him (Richard) a couple days ago, but got no reply.

I just wrote again, and forwarded the link to this thread. Perhaps if you know these guys, and have the time, you might make a phone call. I don't know what more to do.

Thanks for the input.
Paul

undysworld

Just in from the Capitol: Sen. Holperin will convene a Public Hearing on TRANS-123, but the date has not yet been set. I will post it when I get it. I'm advised that we need a TON of people to show up.

This may not seem like a milveh issue, and it isn't one directly. But it is a "Collector" issue, and we are all that. I suggest to you that it makes no difference whether you drive something O/D or not. When WisDOT is trying to toss any collector's vehicle off the road, by assuming the authority to overrule previous decisions by the U.S. DOT/NHTSA and the U.S. Customs concerning which Motor Vehicles can legally be operated on U.S. roads, then it's time to act in unison.

If you don't do anything else this year to help out the Collector hobby in Wisconsin, attend the Public Hearing for TRANS-123 and oppose it.

THANKS and CONGRATULATIONS to everyone who contacted your Legislators. Keep up the fight!!

Paul

hlcrkfrm

public hearings

The email i got today said Wed. Sep 22 2010 at 10 am. at 412 east state capitol

undysworld

This appears to be correct. This is from the Wis. Legislative Notification system:

Subject: vehicle
Topic "Clearinghouse Rule 09-044" has been scheduled for a public hearing by Committee on Transportation, Tourism, Forestry, and Natural Resources in the Senate. Date/time: September 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM. Location: 412 East, State Capitol.
Topic description: relating to registration of non-standard vehicles.

This is a critical hearing. Please plan to attend, if at all possible, and to register in opposition to TRANS-123. If you are unable to attend, but still wish to register your opinion, please visit the following website and complete a petition form. We will hand deliver them to the Senate Transportation committee on the 22nd.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dDF5aldlM3BaY1FTbGFheFJ5cXpGQnc6MQ

(Petition courtesy of T. Landmann)

Paul Underwood
608 437-3465

Mark3395

This MilVeh issue is kind of ironic. A few months ago i picked up an ENG-3A and proudly headed down I-90. I passed a westbound maintenance team using a (I love this part) M35A2!

I wonder if it was a State crew or a contractor. Looked State to me.

salt6

I think you need to look into which ADMINISTRATOR is behind this. That's where your problem is. Someone needs to find a new job.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks