• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WisDOT renews efforts on TRANS-123

saddamsnightmare

September 30th, 2010.

NOW that I am, unfortunately, a few states nearer to the insanity of WisDOT then I was in Texas, I for one, AM paying close attention for fear this disease will creep over the border to the people's republic of Illinois. I can't wait to see how the Unimog or the Deuce is gonna get treated and regarded in licensing, but I doubt they will be as generous as Texas was.....
The little old lady used in the hearings is a common ploy, as few folks want to beat up their "Granny", when otherwise they would buzz saw the bill.... NEVER underestimate the tenacity of a bureaucrat, or a group of bureaucrats, when they see an opportunity to either enlarge their powers, or they feel that they are threatened with a reduction in power....
I may be only a state away from you guys, but the fight is gonna be all of ours, sooner then later. Good Luck.:!:

Tanner

The Porsche analogy is lame - a 911 imported in today would be virtually equivalent in spec to the 911 that was sold here in the US in '73...

The picture/s that Grandma was passing around to the committee appears to show a Messerschmidt 3-wheeler on the cover of the page that one of the gentlemen flashed in front of the camera. This whole procedure smacks of 'Bureaucrats Gone Wild' - I'd have been inclined to take Granny to the cleaners, as she was the mouthpiece for WisDOT... she is obviously well-versed in obfuscation of the facts.

To use 'motorist safety' as an argument to disallowing vehicle registration is asinine; c'mon WisDOT - where is the PROOF that supports your theory that these older cars/trucks/milvehs/etc., are less safe per vehicle mile driven than a 2010 Ford F350? I contend that there are fewer 'collector vehicles' registered & driven involved in accidents than the rest of the so-called 'legit vehicles' on the highway...

I watched the entire video of the 'Wisconsin Inquisition'... she was lost as a biddy in high weeds.

And can someone answer a question that has been gnawing at me during this entire process?

-- How would WisDOT handle old mil vehicles in this case that are used by cities/town/Forestry service/etc.?? Do those vehicles get a waiver that ordinary citizens cannot get?

THERE IS STILL SOMETHING FISHY ABOUT ALL OF THIS! How does Der People's Republik of Wisconsin handle reciprocity agreements with the other 49 US States in terms of titling these vehicles?

'Wisconsin: Land of cheese and your Right to Own the vehicles that the State deems you worthy of owning...'

Fight the Good Fight, Boys and Girls...

/rant off/

'Tanner'

mckeeranger

-- How would WisDOT handle old mil vehicles in this case that are used by cities/town/Forestry service/etc.?? Do those vehicles get a waiver that ordinary citizens cannot get?

'Tanner'
Yup. Paul addressed this in an earlier post, in this thread.

He said:

"BTW Mark3395, the State of Wis. is well known for employing milvehs for municipal and county work. Humorously, WisDOT had no clue of this until my Appeal Hearing. They quickly made up a policy which would allow govt. agencies to use milvehs, while they enforced a ban on civilian ownership of milvehs."

undysworld

The Porsche analogy is lame
Lame. That's an understatement. In answer to the question about a 1973 Porsche, the DOT's attorney stated that several models would be OK, but not the 959. Well, a two second search reveals that the 959 didn't even go into production until 1985.

This whole procedure smacks of 'Bureaucrats Gone Wild'
I love the idea. Maybe we can make some money off this. Nah, people will just tune in to the nightly news around here!

So she lied to the committee. Wonder what the legislators will do?
I haven't gotten the impression that they can/will do anything further than Sen. Grothman's negative comments. We'll see.

This comment from my friend Rich: we should chip in and get that DOT spokeswoman a Pinto…after all, they passed the safety specs. fat lady sings

Cheers All,
Paul

NateP

Der People's Republik of Wisconsin
HAHAHAHA thanks, i almost spit my coffee out on my laptop reading that.
All laughing aside Tanner, you do pose a good question. Id like to hear their response to that excluding civies from registering MV's or like you suggested the City/State entities would get a "waiver" leaving us high and dry.

undysworld

Just in. Sen. Holperin has decided to deal with Trans123, by ballot. At most this will send trans123 back to DOT for "modifications". This is unfortunate since it precludes the possibility of a vote to reject it totally.

If/when it is reintroduced by DOT, the committees would only have 10 days to act, otherwise it goes into effect.

It is possible that the Assembly may also act to reject this proposal. Call Rep. Steinbrink and request that they reject Trans-123 (CHR 09-044).

Call Sen. Holperin's office and ask that they convene an executive session and vote on this. Ask that they throw it out and make DOT go the normal route of getting a statute created or changed. (That's how laws are supposed to be created in this country. 2cents )

Time is short. Act now.

Paul

Here's the notice from Sen. H's office:

Senator Holperin is circulating a paper ballot beginning this afternoon on a motion to send CR 09-044 back to the Department of Transportation for further modification.

Please return it to Senator Holperin's office by Wednesday, October 6, before 2:00 P.M.

Senate

EXECUTIVE SESSION

Committee on Transportation, Tourism, Forestry, and Natural Resources

The committee will hold an executive session on the following items at the time specified below:

Thursday, September 30, 2010
4:00 PM

Pursuant to Senate Rule 25 (4) (am), the committee on Transportation, Tourism, Forestry, and Natural Resources will vote by ballot on the following item:

Clearinghouse Rule 09-044
Relating to registration of non-standard vehicles.

A ballot on this motion will be circulated and due in the Committee Chair's office, Room 409 South, State Capitol, by 2:00 P.M. on Wednesday, October 6, 2010.

I think they are just hot for Undy.
:drool:
DrGreg,
Yeah, they're my buddies.
Paul

undysworld

She probably already drives a Prius. ?? Each to their own.

I just spoke with Rep. Steinbrink's office. They are confident this is halted for now. They want to see the issue addressed through legislative methods next year.

We'll see what happens.

Paul

chadande

WI DMV page for historic military vehicles

Just an FYI: I talked to the DMV today and the nice lady on the phone said to expect a 2 - 3 month wait before they get the application and materials that I sent in. That really sucks for new registrations as no temp plates are issued and you are essentially operating illegally while you wait for them to issue title and plates.

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

The plate looks cool. Too bad the DOT people can't get it together. I like Texas. I wish Missouri would let you paint your plate number on the bumper.

undysworld

Trans 123 has officially been sent back to DOT. The vote on Wed. was 7-0 in favor of sending it back. Per agreement, this question will be taken up by the legislature next session. However, Trans123 is not defeated.

IF it ever resurfaces, the legislature will only have TEN DAYS within which to act, otherwise Trans123 automatically takes effect.

This still needs to be watched carefully.

As Dr. Greg pointed out, this is a separate issue from the HMV plate and registration.

Paul

Thanks again, to all who have helped out.

undysworld

Trans 123 has officially been sent back to DOT. The vote on Wed. was 7-0 in favor of sending it back. Per agreement, this question will be taken up by the legislature next session. However, Trans123 is not defeated.

IF it ever resurfaces, the legislature will only have TEN DAYS within which to act, otherwise Trans123 automatically takes effect.

This still needs to be watched carefully.

As Dr. Greg pointed out, this is a separate issue from the HMV plate and registration.

Paul

Thanks again, to all who have helped out.

Hightechken

Wisconsin DOT After reading these posts and some other research I guess I now know why the WI DOT sent back my registration on the DPV/FAV......

They have a huge ax to grind apparently.. So now how will the registration of my "new" M1031 go? They already sent that application back asking for full photos including the engine, etc. (I applied for collector plates)

And it looks like halftracks will no longer be legal to be street driven at all.

These idiots make a person sick, And just want to sell and get out of this once fun hobby.

Flyingvan911

Automaticly takes affect if the legislature doesn't act? That seems very backwards and irresponsible. I think it should not take effect. Then it can't screw anybody up without law-makers knowing about it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks