• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WisDOT renews efforts on TRANS-123

undysworld

I think we already have a pretty good idea of who's behind this.

Late last year in a meeting with Sen. Holperin, WisDOT Atty. Paul Nilsen pointed the finger at WisDOT Exec. Christopher Klein. Klein, in turn, then pointed his finger at WisDOT Secretary Frank Busalacchi, a sackless turd who didn't even have the guts to meet with Sen. Erpenbach and myself.

Klein has since taken a job in Madison, WI government. Nilsen got promoted to Supervisor. And Busalacchi is still running the show.

These people have already demonstrated that they have a callous disregard for existing Wis. statutes, and no qualms about misrepresenting things if it fits their personal agendas. Unfortunately, there's virtually no way of forcing them out of their jobs, short of perhaps a new governor mandating such.

BTW Mark3395, the State of Wis. is well known for employing milvehs for municipal and county work. Humorously, WisDOT had no clue of this until my Appeal Hearing. They quickly made up a policy which would allow govt. agencies to use milvehs, while they enforced a ban on civilian ownership of milvehs.

This is why we're fighting WisDOT. It's rotten to the core.

Tanner

Sounds like it's time to remove the stem from the rotten apple at WisDOT...

Good Luck Gentlemen!

The rest of us outside of Wisconsin are watching the proceedings as well...

'Tanner'

ABN173

BTW Mark3395, the State of Wis. is well known for employing milvehs for municipal and county work. Humorously, WisDOT had no clue of this until my Appeal Hearing. They quickly made up a policy which would allow govt. agencies to use milvehs, while they enforced a ban on civilian ownership of milvehs.
Figures..............wow

undysworld

Figures? Read what I just received from one of the local hot-rodders: (This was originally in the form of separate replies to emails, I think. I pass it on, because vehicle collectors of all stripes seem to be under attack.)

Hot Rod Gloom? We should maybe come to the party, Boys.
On one hand, there is a disconnect between the intent of Law and
individual gov’t employees’ enforcement of it.
The laws are bad enough, right? Witch hunts. Chicken Little. Gestapo.
Are some of them actually zealously over-enforcing in order to ‘justify’
and pay for their gov’t jobs? Tsk.Tsk.
The fall guys are individual groups like motorsports afficianados- easy targets -
who appear to be gross violators, criminals, in the victimless crime of
driving old cars.
But it’s worse when the legislator discriminates against our community.
There’s an elected female State official down San Diego way who has been quoted saying
she wants us off the highway, and want us to pay for the priviledge of trailering them
to whatever show or parade we take them to.

Here’s what we read:

“In speaking with Senator Christine Kehoe from the San Diego area she flat out said,
WE WANT YOUR CARS REGULATED, WE WANT A MILEAGE CAP ON YOUR CARS, WE WANT YOU TO HAVE TO
PURCHASE A PERMIT TO DRIVE THEM AND WE WANT YOU TO TRAILER YOUR CARS TO AND FROM YOUR EVENTS.
When she was asked, “What about a guy that wants to drive the Route 66 to Chicago and back?’
Senator Kehoe’s response was, THEY BETTER HAVE A TRAILER WAITING FOR THEM WHEN THEY RE-ENTER CALIFORNIA.”

See, Chuck went to the ‘California Association of Car Clubs’ meeting, which was attended by CHP, a state Senator or two, a CARB rep or something,
and he came away knowing that...if we don’t mobilize now...it’s over.
The stated goal of the politicos and their over-reacting self-interested state employees is to eliminate collector cars from the road. Period.

“On Sept. 1, 2010, a law was passed requiring all automobile service providers to check the tire pressures of every vehicle being maintained or
repaired at their facility. The regulation, issued by the California Air Resources Board, applies to auto maintenance/repair providers
but not to auto parts distributers/retailers, auto body/paint facilities, auto glass installers or wreckers/dismantlers,
according to a press release from SEMA. (SEMA – Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association is a trade organization representing auto service providers.
They notified their membership of this new law by way of this press release. CK)

ABN173

You are doing a great job at staying on top of this situation Undy! What I meant by "figures" was that the govt. agencies passed
something to exempt their use from the restrictions they want to impose on everyone else.

undysworld

ABN173,
Thanks. It's not my choice, but considering the work I put in fighting WisDOT's efforts to outlaw milvehs, I've got the info to fight this newest crap too. I'm less concerned about any one vehicle than I am about the way WisDOT is pursuing their agenda. IF they've got a sound argument against collector cars, let's hear it, and let's see WisDOT approach our legislature up-front about the changes they want to make.

Gotcha about "figures". That does seem a might unfair now, doesn't it? Why should it be OK for Wisconsin's municipalities, counties, and state agencies to be using ex-military vehicles, modified or not, on a regular, recurring daily basis for utility jobs like carrying loads, etc., but Wisconsin citizens cannot? Why is it somehow seen as safer for a public employee to drive them than for an average citizen?

This isn't at all about safety. It's about an agenda within the Wisconsin Dept. of Transportation, and it's top officials vigorously pursuing it with no statistical proof that it's needed, and despite overwhelming public opposition and even strong legislative concerns that such rules are unnecessary.

THAT'S why I'm doing what I'm doing.

vtwinpilot

d-a-m- this link notify option does not seem to work, unless it's a stale link that does not mean much. I have been too busy to check in here and was told by a mil. enthusiast that this was dead for this year, just like I heard the law was dead this spring and we all know that was BS. This monster has become everything I feared and then some. My gut tell's me the greeny economical sabatours want us in coal powered hybrid mini car's or on pedal bikes if not riding the mass transit tax sucking rails. I wil not be infringed...............old iron or nothing.................................

undysworld

Ya want more proof that WisDOT is infested with fascists??

Check this out! They are so unable to treat citizens fairly, they came up with some new hoops to make milveh owners jump through.

Unlike ALL other Wisconsin collector plate applicants, milveh owners are not eligible for temp plates. As of Sept. 13th, this was posted on WisDOT's web page:
"Former military vehicles are not eligible for temporary plates while the Collector license plate application is being processed."

Four days later, this statement had been removed from that website, but it's still on their MV2323 form.

Second piece of evidence?
WisDOT is charging higher registration rates for similar weight collector vehicles if the vehicle is a milveh.
Trucks/Former Military Vehicles over 8,000 lbs. = $262
Motor Home over 8,000 lbs. = $160

The reason such tactics are illegal is this, s.227.10(3)(c) Wis. Stats.
227.10 Statements of policy and interpretations of law; discrimination prohibited.
227.10(3)(c)
(c) Each person affected by a rule is entitled to the same benefits and is subject to the same obligations as any other person under the same or similar circumstances.
From Wisconsin Statutes

Seem fair?? Don't be fooled. Fair is not what WisDOT is about.

Stand up to the FASCISTS. Show up for the Hearing this Wednesday (or write to our legislators), and tell WisDOT what to do with their proposal.

Regards,
Paul

poof

Dirty Hippie
I have a copy of the form MV2323.. and see that price diffrance.. had it printed off at Watertown DMV day after it was posted to the DMV site.

Whats an Kaiser Jeep MJ15 at least 25 years old? It is listed as one of the 4 choices.

( was this suposed to be M715)

and at the bottom of the page #2 it has 2 check boxes..

" I(we) certify that the collector vehicle described above
IS check one.... has not been altered or modified from original manufactures spefications ,is 20 or more years of age,and is being preserved because of its historic interest.
OR
is one of the former military vehicles desribed above." there are 4 of them listed.
1 pinzgauer. 25 yo
2 Kaiser Jeep MJ15 25yo
3Humvee 22 yo
4 DUKW 25yo

so any 20 yr or more old military vehicle can be registered with Collector plates ? or are they Just collecting DATA and then Refuse registration?

what happened to the $5+ $25 admin fee Historic Military vehicle plates due out on 1 october? good for life.. are they still to come?
J.P.
keep up the good work Paul..

and drop on down for Poofstock fall http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upcoming-events/57557-poofstalk-fall-2010-a.html#post667365
J.P.

Last edited:

undysworld

Hi Poof,

Yes, it should be M-715 Kaiser Jeep Pickup. Don't tell me, let me guess, this was just a DOT "typo". But do you think it'd be enough that they'd try to refuse to register an M-715? (I do)

According to the new law (Act 225 - the "Pinzgauer" law), only the four listed make/models can get registered as "collectors", with no payload restriction and normal operating privileges Feb. - Dec. (no driving in Jan.). Whether DOT will actually hand out plates or not is unknown. They seem to want to delay things as much as possible.

The other new law, which effects all other milvehs, doesn't take effect until Nov., IIRC. That is all "still to come".

You'll have to give me the info on Poofstock fall. Sounds like a good idea. :beer:

Cheers,
Paul

undysworld

Well, the Public Hearing on TRANS123 was yesterday. I didn't see any SS members there, but we managed to attract a few dozen folks, all opposed to it. I hope you guys managed to at least write in with your opinions, or register on our petition form. Many thanks to all who participated.

WisDOT's "point girl" Carsen Frazier was there, as usual with dubious "facts" and opinions. She stated that both Iowa and Minnesota refuse to register vehicles imported under U.S.'s "over 25-yr exemption". Wrong. A-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

Here is what Sen. Glenn Grothman wrote about the affair:

At the hearing yesterday (9-22-10) the WI Department of Motor Vehicles one more time showed the state of Wisconsin government at its worst. DMV thought that the cars in question would be illegal in Minnesota and Iowa. We have confirmed this is not so. Indeed the DMV cannot for certain name one other state in which these cars would be illegal. They led off presenting a chart showing a nationwide reduction in traffic fatalities but were unable to show one fatality caused by the motor vehicles they are trying to ban today.

As an aside, many of these cars are owned by businesses and community leaders. The behavior of the DMV just furthers the attitude that Wisconsin is an anti-freedom, anti-business state.

I will encourage the committee chairs to take a vote suspending this rule and ultimately, I feel we will win on this issue. However, it is frustrating that under our civil service rules the DMV bureaucrats responsible for this will keep their jobs and continue to boss around the citizens of Wisconsin unnecessarily in other ways.

Sincerely,

Glenn Grothman
State Senator
20th Senate District

I love the last sentence!! I could not agree more strongly.

This **** mess doesn't appear to be over, by a long shot. Our ranks continue to grow. Assuming the Trans. committees object to this rule, it then goes to the Joint Committee for Review of Administrative Rules. Stay tuned for developments...

Paul

Monty

Undy thanks for all your hard work on this, I can only speak for myself but I would love to be able to show up at these meetings but being during the week with work for me is hard.
I did get a chance to email my represenitive about this situation.

These people WI DMV are in a cushy goberment job with no fear of loosing them so they can show up at a meeting going off half cocked about a subject she seemed to no know nothing about and she'll recive no repercussions from her surpervisor.

SAD SAD SAD

They need to hold these meetings on a Saturday and see how many people show up.

Again thanks for all your hard work.

Monty

undysworld

Monty,

Well, even though you may not be able to show up during the week, you CAN still play a part in this just by contacting your elected officials. They listen to their voters. Remember, they listen MOST to a phone call or a letter. Emails are still often underappreciated.

BUT, you can also still enjoy the fireworks by watching it here on WisEye. Just look for 09.22.10 | Joint Committee on Transportation, Tourism, and Natural Resources

Watch her talk! The video is lengthy. The DOT speaks first, and then we all go after them. :deadhorse: Lord, I'd hate to be Carson Frazier.

As the Senator said, this is a perfect example of a state agency gone wrong. This is precisely why I'm urging people to get active in this.

Methinks something is rotten in the State of Wisconsin. Urge our lawmakers to throw out Trans-123!

Thanks,
Paul

mckeeranger

I just want to say thanks to everyone, in every state, that fights this kind of thing.

What goes on in Wis may seem like it's none of my business in KY, but it kinda is. If they decide to try something like this here, it will be easier for them if they can say "they did it in Wisconsin." Thanks to you, they won't be able to say that.

Freedom isn't taken away over night, it is taken one right at a time. They make a good argument for each case, and get away with it, until one day you wake up and you're living in the Peoples Republic of America. Which is anything but the "people's" and a "republic".

Retired MVs and other classic cars and trucks (domestic and imported) are such a small part of our "carbon footprint" they are less than a blip on the radar. As far a safety, most are either big loud and visible, or flashy, loud a visible, and not driven very often. Unless someone can show me where they are an ecological, economical or safety hazard, they should leave them alone.

The people that are writing these laws and regulations seem to have some personal agenda. They may have a personal bias, or know someone else that does. Maybe they have a neighbor that has a noisy one, or they know someone that was hurt by one. Or perhaps they are just trying to show how much they "care" for us and want to "protect" us from ourselves. Give me a break. They just want to make a name for themselves as do-gooders and put feathers in their caps for all their wonderful accomplishments. If they really wanted to help, they would be collecting blankets for the homeless and food for the hungry. But I guess you can't do that behind a desk in a government office. Laws and regulations, those are easy.

Again, thank you for all you have done to protect the hobby you enjoy, or even hobbies you don't, but care enough to help with. If it was a phone call, an email, a letter, or attendance at meetings and hearings, thank you.

undysworld

Auowww, how many times....
Trukhead,

Sorry.

Ask WisDOT. They are the ones with the axe to grind. I apologize if the topic is tiresome, but the alternative seems to be giving up our vehicles. Until I decide to part with it (and someone comes up with the appropriate cash to convince me), I'll fight to preserve what I legally bought, own, and operate, whether it's exmil or civilian.

You guys know about fighting to preserve your rights. The very vehicles you treasure were created to do just that. Don't take others' rights for granted now. The hot-rodders and car collectors stood with us when WisDOT came after milvehs. Now's our chance to return the favor.

Keep reading Trans-123 because it makes your head hurt, and then work like **** to defeat it.

I'd suggest that our vehicles deserve no less.

Paul

trukhead

Thanks! for the effort!

I am pissed at WisDot and will be taking this up with Trish O'Neal, 47th Assembly Candidate in WI. I ran last time and will run again in 2012 as the independent. anyway i Hate the fact that Bureaucracy wants to legislate through administrative procedure instead of the peoples' will. I am not giving up, I am getting started, I have a lot of free time so let's communicate. I need help understanding things.

undysworld

Dennis,

PM sent.

Ziggy,

Did ya watch her in action? Can you believe what some people can say with a straight face???

It was mentioned that DOT sends Carson because she's such a nice old lady that nobody will give her too hard a time. You notice that the DOT's attorney, Paul Nilsen, didn't even show his face. He got slammed pretty hard by the Senate Trans. Committee the last time he appeared to argue against milvehs. I guess it's "Toss the Old Lady to the Wolves Day" at WisDOT.

Like Jed Clampett says: "PI-DEE-FULL".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks