• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WMO(used motor oil) in 6.2 M1009

SmokeyDod

I knew that most of the 2-1/2 & 5T trucks were "multifuel". I never knew that the 6.2 or 6.5 Chev diesels were multifuel. I have heard of someone putting special filter arrangement and a heater system to warm up the veg. oil . quite interesting?

Westech

CPL
well the 6.2 is not a "multi fuel". You can not run gas or like type of light fuel. It will just blow up. But fuel oil, motor oil, ect are a heavy fuel and react close to the same on a compression ignition engine.

3dubs

I see WMO in other trucks. But who is putting it in a CUCV? What about vegi oil? I do not want to put in a WVO tank and use a separate fuel system. I was thinking about bio diesel. But what about just mixing WVO or WMO with diesel? It does not get cold in Houston and looking at summers with lows in the 90's.

swyne

I have not run that in my 1028 yet. Thinking about it though. I have a diesel chevette that I ran bio diesel, kerosene, home heating oil and veggie. All run great no problems. But i will say filter that veggie good. It will clog it up if you don't. The smell is awesome and people will love it. Not tried used oil yet neither. But will. 50/50 is the most I've done.:-D

dmc-4359

I've been running 100% waste motor oil from the local parts house vat for about three months now. I filter down to 10 microns with some water separation on the last run through. The truck runs great aside from coking up pretty easily every 2 - 3 thousand miles. I'm working on that issue at the moment. My commute is only 3.5 miles so that only serves to exacerbate the problem.

As I get a reasonable amount of data, I've been updating some information I keep on an old site. If you're curious, OpenDNS.

I like it so much as a cheap (free) fuel that I bought another military injector pump (hardened goodness inside so far as I understand) and another 6.2 turbo motor to go in my 55 Four Door so I can see how fast I can make the wmo go in the 1320. The motors are cheap enough that I won't feel bad about them only lasting a handful of passes and I always keep spare engines. Almost immediately the banks turbo will find its way to the M1009 and in its place on the Four Door will be two or more replacements. My plan is to continue dialing up the boost on the first engine until it comes apart and work backwards from there.

CDN-CUCV

I run WMO consistantly in my M1009. Works great, smoother operation and a little increase in power. I run about 75/25 fuel/WMO ratio up to 50/50 but not that high very often.

In my rig I run a Racor water/fuel separator I believe it's the R47G with the priming head. Great set-up but the filter replacement can be pricey. Word of advice howere, pre-filter the oil. I leave the WMO to sit for about a week or more to allow the fine particulate matter settle the the bottom and the I take the oil from the top. I then filter that oil down to 10 micron. This saves me replacing my Racor prematurely.

As far as smoke, I've never really had much, but flooring it up a hill, I may get a little. Oh, make sure you know the source of the WMO. You don't want something in it that might cause you grief (re: siphoning out your tank and replacing new Racor filter...ahem) Heard that somewhere before:roll::oops:

Last edited:

kentuckycucv

i RUN wvo in my m1009 80% ... I just filter it down to 5 micronsand in the tank. I added a webb 525 fuel heater/filter/water seperator before the stock filter. So far so good. I love it.
Moved the batterys to one tray then added my heater.

Attachments

sht2kll

I run ATF and WMO in my M1008 so far. I was snooping around my fathers garage while visiting and noticed a lot of half full bottles of motor oil, ATF, motorcycle fork oil (from when I used to race) and a half gallon of Marvel Mystery oil. I dumped them into a 5 Gallon gas can, it was about 3 gallons, added a little diesel to it to thin it out a bit more and dumped it in the tank. I actually think it ran a little better and was a bit more quiet. When I change the oil now, I run it through a 75 micron filter, then dump it in the tank. I do need to put a better filter system on the truck though.

REGULATOR

YellowHammer, me you and Airmech need to get together, maybe we can work out a bit of a COOP to do the WMO filter/centrifuge thing..

Id love to run some sort of alternative fuels in my m1009, one of the reasons I purchased a diesel.

glad to hear they handle the WMO ok..

kassim503

Ive been putting around this idea for a little while. Running on WMO would be pretty sweet when fuel prices are on the rise again (like usual). Ive passed through 2 gallons so far since i took ownership, but im curious how do you guys filter it properly. Coming up with a holding tank with a standalone racor filter attached to it, or a holding tank thats clean with a filter sock over it, and mabye a filter funnel and pour it over straight into the tank? And finally where do you get WMO in large quantities, it wouldnt really justify itself until im running over 10% which is alot more than what id get from my buddies doing oil changes here and there.

1stDeuce

I ran WMO (filtered to 10 micron via hydraulic oil filters) in my 6.5L. At 40% WMO, the optical eye in the electronic IP would be confused on startup, resulting in crappy running until I re-keyed the truck. Never had the problem on lower concentrations, so I would dump 5 gal WMO in at a 30 gal fill. Saved me money in the long run, and didn't anger the truck.

I would think that the mechanical IP in a 6.2L would be more tolerant to higher levels than my 6.5L was...

That said, I was led to believe that the DB2 pump has a rather small drive shaft, and thick oil (IE, cold WMO) could snap the shaft. A bud with a Cummins 4BT (simmilar to DB2 pump as I understand it) in his chev had his shaft snap running straight hydraulic oil (10wt) on a 30 degree morning. Given how much WMO thins out with even low amounts of gas or diesel, I should think that cutting it even just 10 to 20% should be fine in warmer climates.

Oh, and I make it a point not to ever run used diesel oil in my trucks. All that soot can NOT be good for the injectors, pump, etc... It also tends to clog filters faster I believe... Not to mention usually being thicker.

Chris

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I done this but we filter it down to 1 microns soot in the oil will take IJ pump out after time also we ran 5 to 6 gallions per 100 gallions fuel I would use 1 gallion per 27 gallion tank
in M1009 that would be safe . my Big truck use to have an spinner on it sample of th cart would sent for testing. along oil sample. Hope this will help.[thumbzup]

stump

I have ben doing this for some time now and have made some of my processing gear .I have a diesel transfer pump from harbor fra-e and a 55gallon barrel with two hot water heater elements in it . the elements are 220 but i use them on 110 they last longer. I drain the water from the bottom of the tank after i heat it and run the oil through a centrifuge. the centrifuge is homemade and worke realy nice. Thanks Dad. He works in a machine shop.Then its into the truck I run about 50/50 wvo and diesel. This is not biodiesel this is wvo. Truck runs great and I like the savings.There are some good post on this site on making your own tools.I realy liked the chevy oil pump on a electric motor for a transfer pump.

REGULATOR

If anyone in the Augusta or nearby area needs some manual labor in conjunction for making or suppling some WMO/WVO or similar let me know, my 17 yr old wants to start working with making his own fuel ( he drives the M1009 daily)

so if you need help in transfering it, filtering it or moving it etc

If I lived anywhere but the neighbor hood I live in I could store and process it myself.

But I can provide the manual labor in exchange for fuel :)

ragedracer

Been investigating all of this for a while. Finally got up the nerve to dump some light hydraulic oil in the tank. It's clean, just drained out of a big piece of mining equipment. Filtered it to 3 microns and topped off my tank (I would guess about 10 gallons). I'll be going for a spin this evening and see what happens. :shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks