• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

Another Ahab

I got a little bit of work done this afternoon between raindrops. The truck was missing the Bridge Plate numbers when I got it so I was able to get a set in a bag of goodies I got from my dealer in the parking lot of a HEB grocery store today. I'm sure it looked very suspicious with him handing me a brown paper bag and me giving him some cash. When I got home I added the numbers to the truck and, yes I know it's incorrect, I decided to put the year of the truck on display.
Glad you're making good progress, mkcoen.

And your story reminded me of the time I made a CraigsList sale with a guy who worked at the Federal Reserve Board here in D.C.:

- It was the same thing, a bag exchanged for some big bills at the curbside and next thing I know I have holstered security approaching me aggressively from both sides of the street (the Fed is on both sides at that address).

I had "some 'splaining" to do before I was allowed to get back into my car and leave the area.

That never occurred to either of us when we made arrangements for the buy. I'm sure it's all in my NSA file (with video!). Sort of funny.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The straps I'm using for the front of the cargo cover are actually replacements for securing the troop seats in the "up" position. They have a piece of aluminum angle riveted to the strap then that angle is riveted to the bottom of the seat. It was easy enough to drill out the rivet but you're left with a metal grommet the rivet went through. I didn't think it was that big of a deal until I found out it hits right at the buckle of the cover and won't go through. I think it will work for now even though its not as tight as I'd like. Eventually I'll take them to my boat top guy and use the excess on the straps to have new ones made without the grommet.

Attachments

Another Ahab

I didn't think it was that big of a deal until I found out it hits right at the buckle of the cover and won't go through. I think it will work for now even though its not as tight as I'd like. Eventually I'll take them to my boat top guy and use the excess on the straps to have new ones made without the grommet.
That's a great idea. :idea:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to register the M1082 trailer today and was happy, but not completely surprised, to get the consecutive plate from the M1078s. There's only 2 years left on them though and I doubt I'll be as lucky next time around.

IMG_4609.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I see all the different threads for Expedition Truck builds and like where a lot of these are going. I still want to leave the truck the way it is and do something with my trailer though. The 1st thought was just buying a Hi/Low bumper hard-sided pop up trailer and pulling the axle then mounting it on the trailer. That still sounds like the easiest, and probably cheapest, way to go. But I've never been one to go cheap or easy (well maybe in college). Searching some of the links in other threads and doing a little research of my own I found Bliss Mobile out of The Netherlands (http://www.blissmobil.com/en/philosophy) that build container style platforms that can use quick release attachments for easy on/off (priced around $280k) but they're still tall units that I don't think would work well with the trailer and it's center of gravity.

Another outfit is XPCamper based out of California. They make basically what I'm looking for but designed to fit on a pickup chassis with an overhang for the cab (http://xpcamper.com/versions/v1-full-size/) and are a bit cheaper ($77k) but much smaller than the Bliss units. Here's a video of how their camper works:

https://youtu.be/ggeL3N2-3_w

I like the XP style and way their interior is designed and made and would like to emulate that but don't think there is any way to do that as an individual, one off, type of build. I may try and take some ideas from both companies and incorporate it into something I can build at home out of steel and aluminum. No matter what it's not going to turn out as "finished" on the inside as theirs but I think it can be done for a whole lot less money and still be functional.

PanamaMV

Some other camper box makers to review are:

Eureka Campers Inc
Runaway Campers
Hallmark Rv

Keep in mind most of these will not have structural integrity any where near matching a military occupency box (comm. shelter etc)

Interesting idea? Use it to make your own HiLo camper?

Ezliftsystems.com

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at speed and it did take out the radiator. Sitting off I10 waiting for a wrecker. Got the rear axle shafts out thanks to some texting advice from NDT.

image.jpg

The culprit.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have a radiator. Fan clutch can be ordered new. There is a tacom message to check bolts on the newer trucks and use loc tite when installing but all the ones I have see appear to have just come apart from wear/age. There is a thread on it. I posted some pics there.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Suprman. I'll wait until I get the radiator pulled to see how bad it is. I might be able to have it repaired or even recored cheaper than shipping one. I'm probably going to need a fan though. Is this one a stock CAT item or specific to the LMTVs?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks