• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Normal is closed. Tried it unplugged and fan worked. Then we pulled the plug, hooked the ohm meter up and stuck it boiling water and it opened up so not this switch. Next suggestion is the thermostat isn't opening fully so leaving an air pocket in the system so we're going to test that.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well not the thermostat either.

We wound up siphoning the antifreeze back in slowly until we got it above the bottom part (top outlet) of the return hose. Hopefully that will have alleviated any air pockets in the pipe. I'll take it out tomorrow and try getting up to temp to kick on the fan.

One thing we did discover is that you can pull CB 22 and the fan will start. Thats another road side fix that can be used in a pinch.

Last edited:

profo

Not to jump around on the post but a easy way to stop air pockets at thermostat is to drill a small 1/8 hole in the plate that opens and closes this lets air bubbles to go through but water still gets regulated we do that down here in airboats with Chevys cause the radiator are mounted way below engine a lot of new stats are manufactured that way today!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Things appear to be working as they should. It took a nice, long drive to get it up to temp (currently 66° here) but once it was there the fan kicked on and off where it should. At least this little exercise brought out some tricks to use if you're in the middle of no where and the fan isn't kicking on (drain air tanks or pull CB 22) so you can keep from overheating.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not much to do at the moment. Once the weather warms up a bit I need to paint the shiny aluminum tailgate to match the truck but temps are fluctuating too much at the moment to get that done. I did finally replace the gladhand seals this morning. If you're planning to do this make sure to order the double lip version.

IMG_5223.jpgIMG_5225.jpg

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took it for a spin in to San Antonio for the local SS group meeting. We had a nice showing and some good conversation. Next week it's off east of Austin for a 3 day camp out. Hopefully it'll be a bit warmer and drier than today.

And no we didn't eat at Hooter's but the Bill Miller BBQ parking lot wasn't big enough for a group photo so moved over there for the pic.

IMG_5230.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Took it for a spin in to San Antonio for the local SS group meeting. We had a nice showing and some good conversation. Next week it's off east of Austin for a 3 day camp out. Hopefully it'll be a bit warmer and drier than today.

View attachment 665058
The pic is a treat, mkcoen; thanks a million for that.

Are you the one who posted somewhere (maybe this thread) that San Antonio is the 6th largest city in the U.S.?

I could look it up but is that a fact?

MaiNiaK

And no we didn't eat at Hooter's but the Bill Miller BBQ parking lot wasn't big enough for a group photo so moved over there for the pic.

View attachment 665058

I would have eaten at Hooters...

(In in one hand) Bunch of older gentleman.... (In the other hand) A bunch of hot younger ladies you'd need both hands for. Sounds like a no brainer to me...!! :driver: :jumpin:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually it is 7th.
Apparently I was amending my post the same time you were adding yours. Anyway, if all the little subdivisions that are considered San Antonio but aren't really in the city limits (although the city is trying to grab them) it'd be closer to 1.8 million people vs 1.4 mil (give or take 50k) which would put it at #5 but still several hundred thousand under #4 Houston.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would have eaten at Hooters... (In in one hand) Bunch of older gentleman.... (In the other hand) A bunch of hot younger ladies you'd need both hands for. Sounds like a no brainer to me...!! :driver: :jumpin:
There were wives along so a "no brainer" for us.

MaiNiaK

There were wives along so a "no brainer" for us.
Probably a good call then.
I've been married for 18yrs and with my wife for 21yrs. I'm very fortunate to have her.

I jumped around a bit but I believe I've finnaly read this entire thread. You've done an excellent job documenting everything you've done to your truck. It's very informative.

The first thing I swapped out on mine was the heater, which I replaced with a NOS. I need heat in the winter more then I need AC where I live. After I replaced it I started seeing the AC/heater units, like you installed, on the e auction site. If I had it to do over I would have replaced it with one of those.
Right now I'm trying to get my garage sorted out so I have a place to work on mine. I have a rear pinion seal and an alternator belt to do before I can get mine on the road this spring. Then I'm planning to build a box (to attach to heater top) for a stereo/backup camera and some accesory power outlets.

I really like the trailer you got and look forward to reading more adventures.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Added a couple of comfort items to the back of the truck for this weekends campout. The 1st is a ENO Single Nest hammock. I got the hammock and hanging straps but really don't have a good place to hook the straps that stretches it enough so what I did was hook one end to the troop strap loop on the back of the truck then took a ratcheting tie down and hooked to the opposite front loop and stretched it that way.

2nd addition was a Luminoodle LED light set. This is a pretty cool set up that can be run off either AC power or a DC plug. I still need to get my bed plug installed (sometime this week) so for now just plugged it in to an extension cord. The set comes with a remote and can change 4 different colors (red, blue, green, and white), both plugs, and Velcro hanging straps. There are sliding magnets on the line but they're not particularly strong so hanging directly down the weight of the string will pull them off. I'll have to wait until tonight to see how bright they are when it's dark outside.

IMG_5239.jpgIMG_5238.jpgIMG_5240.jpg

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Full dark out and these lights are remarkably bright! However, if you'd like it a little more romantic for your platoon they are dimable.

IMG_5243.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks