• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working On The M561 Gama Goat

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark may not remember this, but he actually loaned me his rivet nut tool set. It's still in my garage, I think.
I thought that was just a regular rivet gun. I guess my CRS disease is crossing over with the MS. Was mentioning to Keith the other day that he should try this new restaurant in town. He said he had. With his wife, me, and my wife. Don't remember it at all.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ace tomorrow off, I could prep and mask. Still some rubber, tires and data plates. Plus wires and the like.
but until the weekend, I'll be busy.
I'll probably get up early and try and get the underside prepped before I need to head to town around 10. Should be fun trying to spray primer and sealer while laying on my back a foot away from an overhead target.

Another Ahab

I thought that was just a regular rivet gun. I guess my CRS disease is crossing over with the MS. Was mentioning to Keith the other day that he should try this new restaurant in town. He said he had. With his wife, me, and my wife. Don't remember it at all.
Well, the good news is if you go back there:

- You can order the same dish, and you'll never get tired of it!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the good news is if you go back there:

- You can order the same dish, and you'll never get tired of it!
Actually there's only 1 thing I get there (and I've been there 1/2 dozen times) and that's the Cajun Enchiladas. Very tasty. The place is called The Reel in Bulverde, TX in case you'd like to view the menu.

Another Ahab

Actually there's only 1 thing I get there (and I've been there 1/2 dozen times) and that's the Cajun Enchiladas. Very tasty. The place is called The Reel in Bulverde, TX in case you'd like to view the menu.
I'm liking the sound of the boiled crawfish (Wednesdays and Sundays). The place sounds great.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a little done this morning. Shot a couple of coats of self etch primer on the exterior of the carrier. Wife was freaked out about me having it on jack stands with no one around and no phone so didn't get the wheel wells too good. No way I'm doing the underside with a gun. Just not enough room.

I did get a new phone (what I'm on now). iPhone 6. Unfortunately the SIM cards on iPhones don't hold contact info so I have to wait until I'm home to see if anything saved on my computer.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Yesterday, we discovered one of the jerry can tie downs on the left was broken, AFTER we had finished welding. So in the break of priming, I went to work. Fabricating the missing piece was easy, aluminum cuts like wood without grain. I used a cut off piece of it to clamp everything together. Then welding was a snap, just a bit of excess as is normal in aluminum. But at least no paint repair in a very visible area.

This was easier as all sides of the weld area were perfectly clean. No North Carolina clay floated to the surface..

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So today was my shock collar fitting. I don't believe the woman doing it knew what the he77 she was doing. The first try she couldn't find the nerve it was supposed to be affecting. Once she finally did, instead of it lifting my foot and turning it slightly to the right it made it move like I was signaling a right hand turn with my foot. At that point she changed units and this time it felt like I had an electric fence wrapped around my leg turned to the "crispy fried" setting. I told her I had had enough and would live with tripping all the time. So much for technology.

I had to stop by the blaster and pick up the last of my little parts and once I got home went back to work in the shop. The 1st go at the etch primer yesterday went on rather dry so I knocked it down with some 220 by hand and then went back over the spots I couldn't really reach yesterday. I got inside the wheel wells and suspension about as good as possible, the inside of the carrier (except for the floor) and the engine cover. I've used half of the gallon of primer already so hope to have enough to finish the whole job.

The original idea was to shoot the Goat in Behr exterior paint. As I'm heading to a show next week and it's likely to rain at least once while there I decided I'm going with RAPCO paint instead. I ordered a gallon of it this afternoon and already have a case of rattle cans to get hard to reach areas that the gun won't fit in. If I have a couple of days for it to flash off it should be fine for the event. I'll still likely take a canopy to put it under as much for me as the Goat.

005.jpg004.jpg003.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

The original idea was to shoot the Goat in Behr exterior paint. As I'm heading to a show next week and it's likely to rain at least once while there I decided I'm going with RAPCO paint instead. I ordered a gallon of it this afternoon and already have a case of rattle cans to get hard to reach areas that the gun won't fit in. If I have a couple of days for it to flash off it should be fine for the event. I'll still likely take a canoy to put it under as much for me as the Goat.

View attachment 552776View attachment 552777View attachment 552778
The finishes all look perfect; beautiful.

What's the story with Rapco over Behr and the rain; is one enamel or something (hold up better against moisture)?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the story with Rapco over Behr and the rain; is one enamel or something (hold up better against moisture)?
Yes RAPCO is enamel. The Behr needs to cure for a couple of weeks before you get it wet. It's not great to get enamel wet to soon after spraying but it should hold up better. With the canopy I should only have to worry about sideways rain.

Keith_J

Looking great! What you missed here? 3 hours of bs getting personal items to a son in rehab. 80 feet of fencing that deer destroyed and ended up dying in. Drugged out idiot thinking 35 was the speed limit on I 35.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the rest of the Goat in primer today. I could have really used about another 1/2 gallon but will have to let it go at this point. Any glaring spots I've missed I'll hit with a rattle can of etch since I'll likely have to be spot painting the cover coat that way as well. Seems I used to get in to a lot tighter spots with a siphon gun compared to the gravity feed but that was over 30 years ago so I might be "misremembering."

Hit a few of the little bits with the rattle can RAPCO that I already had. I'll probably reinstall them before shooting the whole vehicle so they get a nice coat of regular stuff as well. Tomorrow I'll knock down some dry spots in the primer, hit anything I missed today, and maybe contemplate shooting the sealer. Got to be done 1 week from today so no time to take it easy.

002.jpg005.jpg003.jpg004.jpg006.jpg001.jpg

BillIdaho

My Goat is painted with exterior house paint---latex as I recall and compared to my other MV's painted with enamal (of various brands) it looks like the latex house paint fades less.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Goat is painted with exterior house paint---latex as I recall and compared to my other MV's painted with enamal (of various brands) it looks like the latex house paint fades less.
That was the original plan. The wife's M37 is painted with Behr house paint and it turned out fine. Unfortunately we're in for some bad weather the next week or so and you're supposed to let the Behr cure for several weeks before it gets wet the 1st time. I've got an event on the 17th-19th so need something that'll cure fairly quickly.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was the original plan. The wife's M37 is painted with Behr house paint and it turned out fine. Unfortunately we're in for some bad weather the next week or so and you're supposed to let the Behr cure for several weeks before it gets wet the 1st time. I've got an event on the 17th-19th so need something that'll cure fairly quickly.
Make sure the RAPCO has at least 48 hours before it gets wet or it will spot too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks