• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working On The M561 Gama Goat

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gotta tell ya Bro...I'm impressed!![thumbzup]
It's looking so good. Nice.
Well I'm no Zout but I try. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to get the stenciling done before this weekend but it should be all back together. The next fun task that I'll put off for a week or 2 is getting all the electrical working right. It starts and drives (and isn't yellow) so for now that's good enough.

Another Ahab

Well I'm no Zout but I try. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to get the stenciling done before this weekend but it should be all back together. The next fun task that I'll put off for a week or 2 is getting all the electrical working right. It starts and drives (and isn't yellow) so for now that's good enough.
That'd be something to have a Gama Goat with a "Zout" finish:

- Kind of like the helmet of George S. Patton

- In the whole wide world, only Patton would think up something like that

I bet some General's aide had a lifetime case of carpal tunnel syndrome from getting that thing polished up like that

patton.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oof. All day putting stuff back together and I'm still not done. Going to head out after supper and try and get the finishing touches on it. Got all the rear stuff finished. The pins for the 2 end slots on the tailgate went in fine but the center 2 took a little persuading with a drift to line everything up. It also took a ratcheting tie down to compress the seal enough to close all the way. Guess I won't be opening it this weekend. And it seems either the Goat shrank or one of the bumpers grew because the only way I could get it on either side was to boost it a bit with a jack. The front is done other than the winch cable and that's really a 2 man job so I probably won't get it back on until after this weekend. One seat, the instrument cluster, batteries, and the mirror brackets (and mirrors) are the only things left (I think).

001.jpg006.jpg002.jpg005.jpg004.jpg

AMGeneral

Oof. All day putting stuff back together and I'm still not done. Going to head out after supper and try and get the finishing touches on it. Got all the rear stuff finished. The pins for the 2 end slots on the tailgate went in fine but the center 2 took a little persuading with a drift to line everything up. It also took a ratcheting tie down to compress the seal enough to close all the way. Guess I won't be opening it this weekend. And it seems either the Goat shrank or one of the bumpers grew because the only way I could get it on either side was to boost it a bit with a jack. The front is done other than the winch cable and that's really a 2 man job so I probably won't get it back on until after this weekend. One seat, the instrument cluster, batteries, and the mirror brackets (and mirrors) are the only things left (I think).

View attachment 554343View attachment 554339View attachment 554342View attachment 554340View attachment 554341
Oddly enough,I had to do the same with the NOS tailgate on mine,I still haven't opened it and that was several weeks ago!

Looking good Mark,way ahead of me!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oddly enough,I had to do the same with the NOS tailgate on mine,I still haven't opened it and that was several weeks ago!

Looking good Mark,way ahead of me!
You were the one that gave me the idea for the strap. As to being ahead of you it helps not having to worry about a job to go to although I lost a couple of weeks while it was at the blaster.

Man, you are making super progress. You can give Zout a run for his money. :D
Progress and quality are 2 different things. I really don't want to sit mine next to either of yours for a comparison and I'm sure Zout would just shake his head after looking at it.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amazing what a new coat of paint will do to the appeal and value of a classic MV. Great job so far! Now time for the finishing touches and accessories....

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking great! Those sure are nice tail-lights. ;)

Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow. I've been talked into bringing the "new" mule, so the two ungulates can hang out together.

Bring a tarp! Good chance of overnight rain Friday into Saturday.

Cheers

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking great! Those sure are nice tail-lights. ;)

Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow. I've been talked into bringing the "new" mule, so the two ungulates can hang out together.

Bring a tarp! Good chance of overnight rain Friday into Saturday.

Cheers
Tarp and I picked up a new canopy today (I can not keep these danged things from crushing like a empty Coke can). I figure the canopy will help out either for us if don't get the tree area or someone else if we do.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...I was prepping the driver's seat frame to paint when I discovered it had a nice clean break on one of the uprights. Keith_J is going to try and get over tonight to weld it back together. If he can't make it I think it'll hold up for now.

001.jpg

A cookie to the 1st person that can identify what's new in photo below.

002.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...I was prepping the driver's seat frame to paint when I discovered it had a nice clean break on one of the uprights. Keith_J is going to try and get over tonight to weld it back together. If he can't make it I think it'll hold up for now.

View attachment 554516

A cookie to the 1st person that can identify what's new it photo below.

View attachment 554515
I like a good cookie, now and then::

- mirrors!?

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like a good cookie, now and then::

- mirrors!?
Very good. I think they're oatmeal raisin.

cookie.png

Something that belongs to me? ;-)

Seems like I don't see anything waffle house yellow
It's still there. I can't walk past it without finding some more (the yellow on the brackets is facing the dash :)). The ironic thing is I still have to add yellow when I do the USMC markings.

And I have found replacements for you but since you did make the loan, here you go:

cookie.png

Keith_J

View attachment 554516

A cookie to the 1st person that can identify what's new in photo below.

View attachment 554515
The break is WELDED ;). I like welding aluminum, it is quirky but rewarding. So getting off work at 1800, I run by home to make sure storms have not upset life, then tool over to MKCs and set up. More setup than prep. Weld time was nothing. Sure, the beads are big and bold. But penetration is full so it will be strong,.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks